PDA

View Full Version : 10. Architect and founder...

rcmv
02-13-2002, 11:06 PM
Erin, first of all thanks for helping us...
Here's another question from your printable...

10. Architect and founder of the University of Virginia, Thomas Jefferson built his house Monticello overlooking the campus in Charlottesville, Virginia.

1) Why the correct answer is B (built)????
2) Monticello...what is it??? Sorry but the sentence seemed a bit illogical to me.

Thanks,

RCMV

Erin
02-14-2002, 03:17 AM
First of all, you're welcome!

Actually, B is not the answer; C is the correct answer. Sorry for the typo. I've already corrected it so that it no longer poses any problem.

overlooking needs to be changed to to overlook, i.e., the infinitive of purpose (which explains why we do something).

In answer to your second question, 'Monticello' is the name of TJ's house; we have an appositive here.

BTW, voce fala (ou pelo menos escreve) ingles muito bem!!

Hope that helps!

Please post further questions here.

Erin

Please search this newsgroup for FAQs & search TestMagic.com from the bottom of every page.

TestMagic.com
San Francisco, CA USA

rcmv
02-14-2002, 06:28 PM
Erin, thanks again!!

Talking about your "Printable Toefl Exercises", at the top of the page is written "1,000 HARD TOEFL Structure Questions".....is this a book???? If so, who's the author?
I'm asking because I did a brief "net search" looking for this "title" with no success!!!!

[]'s

Renato

Erin
02-14-2002, 06:36 PM
Yours truly is the author!! (eu mesmo!!)

This is a book that I've been working on for a year or two; so far, I have about 400 questions written, so it's not up to the 1,000 mark that I'm aiming for.

Although I hope to publish it someday, by the time it's ready, TOEFL will probably not test this kind of question anymore (it seems TOEFL is planning to drop the grammar questions in the future).

So, in the meantime, I'm posting these questions here on my web site. One day, perhaps even within a year, I'll be publishing something!!

BTW, which part of Brasil do you live in? I lived in Rio for three years, that's where I learned Portuguese, which is certainly one of the most beautiful languages in the world, especially for music.

Erin

rcmv
02-15-2002, 06:10 PM
Actually I'm from Rio, but now I live in Rio Grande do Sul, the southest state of Brazil.
Tell me, What were you here for???
In fact, a three-year vacation is not for everyone. :D
BTW, I'm glad you speak Portuguese because if my English fails...

[]'s

RCMV