PDA

View Full Version : Some GMAT queries

deepika_k
11-13-2002, 11:37 AM
Hi All
I discovered this site a few days ago and wish had found it earlier. Damn cool. Am taking the GMAT in Dec this year.
Need a couple of clarifications - if someone can help !
1) Is there a way of relating the number of questions one gets right to the total score. Have been practising on Kaplan and Powerprep. Have noted that the scoring is much more conservative in Kaplan. Why is that so? I got about 64 questions correct on Powerprep Test 1 which translated to a 700 score, however on Kaplan a total of 60 correct translated to a 620, which is very low I think.

2) How many "experimental questions" can one expect on the real GMAT. Is there any method of detecting these questions.

3) Also would like to know about any sites which offer good probability, series, permutation / combination practise.

Thanks in advance...
Deepika

deepika_k
11-17-2002, 10:46 AM
I'm still awaiting a reply. Erin....cud you help please.

Deepika

Erin
11-17-2002, 07:57 PM
Well, I've said this many times in the forums:

The only way to predict your score is to take the PowerPrep.

There is simply no other way. And even the PowerPrep is not accurate 100% of the time. Please search for "My biggest gripe with the GMAT" for more info. Furthermore, in the age of adaptive testing, it's simply not possible now, with the currrently available set of questions, to extrapolate one's score with any meaningful accuracy.

I can't say for sure how many experimental questions you will have--should be about three to six, I'd say. There's no way to know for sure which are experimental, but somebody with extensive experience with questions (me, for one) might be able to spot some candidates.

As for math, I've mentioned a couple of sites in the forums already. Two are mathgoodies.com (you might want to mention that you were referred by TestMagic; I've sent an email to the site's owner about my visitors) and the other is purplemath.com .

HTH