PDA

View Full Version : some more SCss

kaushik_gre
12-26-2004, 11:30 AM
1.The current demand for quality in schools seems to ask not for the development of information and active citizens, but for disciplined and productive workers with abilities that contribute to civic life only ----------- , if at all.

A. indirectly

B. politically

C. intellectually

D. sensibly

E. sequentially

2. Because of the lack of theatres, the city came, ironically, to be viewed as an ------------ theatre town, and that reputation led enterpreneurs to believe that it would be -------- to build new theatres there.

A. unprofitable, risky

B. untapped, pointless

C. unappreciated, difficult

D. unlikely, appropriate

E. unimpressed, shrewd

3. For more than a centuary, geologists have felt comfortable with the idea that geological processes, although very ---------, are also ----------- and so are capable of shaping the Earth, given enough time.

A. minute, sparodic

B. slow, steady

C. complex, discernible

D. unpredictable, constant

E. ponderous, intermittent

plzzz give me answers with explanations. i was kinda stumped by these questions in a test i took!

thanx
kaushik

wasleys
12-26-2004, 08:16 PM
1.The current demand for quality in schools seems to ask not for the development of information and active citizens, but for disciplined and productive workers with abilities that contribute to civic life only ----------- , if at all.

A. indirectly

B. politically

C. intellectually

D. sensibly

E. sequentially

2. Because of the lack of theatres, the city came, ironically, to be viewed as an ------------ theatre town, and that reputation led enterpreneurs to believe that it would be -------- to build new theatres there.

A. unprofitable, risky

B. untapped, pointless

D. unlikely, appropriate

E. unimpressed, shrewd

3. For more than a centuary, geologists have felt comfortable with the idea that geological processes, although very ---------, are also ----------- and so are capable of shaping the Earth, given enough time.

A. minute, sparodic

B. slow, steady

C. complex, discernible

plzzz give me answers with explanations. i was kinda stumped by these questions in a test i took!

thanx
kaushik kaushik,

1. I find it hard to understand this one. Probably A, posssibly B or C, not D or E.
2. A.
3. B.

Michael

jayashri_rane
12-26-2004, 09:03 PM
2) Because of the lack of theatres, the city came, ironically, to be viewed as an ------------ theatre town, and that reputation led enterpreneurs to believe that it would be -------- to build new theatres there.
Does the word "ironically" give some hint in this sentence? why not ans. D? I aslo thought A but was not sure. Could u plz give explanation.

wasleys
12-27-2004, 01:06 AM
2) Because of the lack of theatres, the city came, ironically, to be viewed as an ------------ theatre town, and that reputation led enterpreneurs to believe that it would be -------- to build new theatres there.
Does the word "ironically" give some hint in this sentence? why not ans. D? I aslo thought A but was not sure. Could u plz give explanation. jayashri_rane,

I think you're right about ironical. However with D if it was seen as an unlikely theatre town it would not be appropriate to build theatres there.

Michael

manasi4gre
12-27-2004, 03:04 AM
michael,
A seems right in 3 but can u explain why D is incorrect?

manasi4gre
12-27-2004, 03:06 AM
As for 1,my take is D.Whats the right ans. ?

kaushik_gre
12-27-2004, 07:56 AM
these were the answers provided!

1. E ( no idea y!)

2. D ( as micheal said, i also feel it cant the ans)

3. B ( y not D?)

explanations plzz!

all others ans in the test seemed ok, expect these few. so i guess the answers cant be wrong, but cant be sure!

thanx
kaushik

jayashri_rane
12-27-2004, 01:41 PM
I think for 2) the word "Ironically" gives the hint that the two words must be opposite. Therefore though the city was seen as an unlikely theatre town, the enterpreneur beleived that it is appropriate to bulid theatre over there.
So Ans is D. I was confused between A and D.

wasleys
12-27-2004, 03:49 PM
michael,
A seems right in 3 but can u explain why D is incorrect? manasi4gre,

Do you mean A is right in 3? I think B.

I think D is wrong because unpredictable and constant are opposites, something that is constant is predictable. Also long-term geological changes are fairly predictable, however as in B they are slow and steady.

Michael

wasleys
12-27-2004, 04:01 PM
these were the answers provided!

1. E ( no idea y!)

2. D ( as micheal said, i also feel it cant the ans)

3. B ( y not D?)

explanations plzz!

all others ans in the test seemed ok, expect these few. so i guess the answers cant be wrong, but cant be sure!

thanx
kaushik kaushik,

1. Could E be a typo for inconsequentially (= trivial)? That would make sense!

2. Is this another typo in D, should it be inappropriate? The comments about ironically by jayashri_rane are relevant, but I think the irony would only be visible in context, perhaps the town is important in the theatrical world now, but wasn't then. If D is the right answer I would expect a word like paradoxically rather than ironically.

3. See my response to manasi4gre above.

Michael

kaushik_gre
12-27-2004, 08:06 PM
hi michael,

not typos by me for sure ! maybe in the test, coz the words u suggested make sense.

and jayashri, 2. D still doesnt make sense, IF D is right then the word 'ironically' is surely placed wrongly in the sentence!

kaushik

manasi4gre
12-28-2004, 07:48 AM
For 1,trivial does look right(as suggested by Michael) otherwise A,but for E(I have my doubts).

2. inappropriate sounds correct here for D(considering it a typo) but i dont agree with ironical as the sentence starts here with because....not though the city... as suggested by Jayshree & i dont think we are allowed to change the form & usage of the sentence here.

3.yeah,B is right as long term geological processes are often steady,slow & predictable.

rahul13
12-31-2004, 04:48 AM

A. indirectly

B. politically

C. intellectually

D. sensibly

E. sequentially

A. unprofitable, risky

B. untapped, pointless

D. unlikely, appropriate

E. unimpressed, shrewd

A. minute, sparodic

B. slow, steady

C. complex, discernible

hello i got the last two as D and B but why the first one is not B instead why's tat E, can u explain me that, if u could. byee...

Howbizarre
01-05-2005, 07:42 PM
My answers were
A
D
B

In 3 I believe that B is the correct answer as the sentence ends with " are capable of shaping the Earth, given enough time " which implies that the geological changes are slow.

vikramkone
03-20-2005, 12:59 PM
i agrre with all the answers given by kaushik..
i think 1.e and 3.b are irrefutable coz they make more sense compared 2 other choices as explained by my peers here..
as the confusion regarding Q 2 .here is my xplanation..
the town was known as an unlikely theatre town..so people in general will not risk to buid theatres there..but since ironically is given..so contrary 2 poular belief enterpreneurs are willing to esatblish theatres in this town..

sanjay21
09-27-2007, 12:03 PM
I think the sentence should have been

2. Because of the lack of theatres, the city came, to be viewed as an ------------ theatre town, and ironically that reputation led enterpreneurs to believe that it would be -------- to build new theatres there.

What do you guys think?

aeontoam1982
09-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Can it be "c" for Q:3.Doesnt although represent a de-tour.. Alhtough its complex[difficult to understand],it could be perceived.Am i missing something here.Please advise.

meruchi
10-03-2007, 12:18 AM
Hi ,

Here are my answers:
1.e
2.d
3.c
For the 2 nd question,I read somewhere that words like "paradoxically, ironically,anomalously,etc"
can turn the situation on its head.They indicate that something unexpected has occured.Does this logic not applies here?Can you please explain.

As for as the third question concerns , the answer shud be C, since the clue word was "Although" that expilictly indicates contrast between the ideas.

I would highly appreciate if you could elucidate the above.

Thanks and Regards

meruchi
10-03-2007, 12:30 AM
In 1st question , the clue words are in blue...The current demand for quality in schools seems to ask not for the development of information and active citizens, but for disciplined and productive workers with abilities that contribute to civic life only ----------- , if at all. Disciplined and productive workers can contribute sequentially(here it is related to orderliness which comes from disciplined type of education, just before the second blank the presence of ONLYmakes it a more a stronger choice),and no other word can fit in this sentence esp A and B. There are chances for D and C, but they cannot fit because ,in that case,it will reflect the quality of active citizens.