PDA

View Full Version : How I got 800 on the GRE Verbal Section

AmigoRo
11-26-2002, 11:09 AM
Here's how I prepared for GRE verbal.

Vocabulary

http://www-ec.njit.edu/~grk4352/

Get the New GRE wordlist 0.3 beta

It's the best piece of wordlist software in the world. This is the only tool I used to improve my vocab.

This is what I did. First, I did all 51 (100 words each) word sets. Actually there about 4000 words because there are repetitions. Whenever I came across a word I didn't know, I didn't guess it. I looked it up the dictionary. This way, the program records what words you have missed. Don't depend on the definitions the program gives you. Couple of them are wrong.

After the first round, I managed to eliminate about 60% of the words. That left me with 1600 words. Then I started from beginning and eliminated words I remembered. In five weeks, I had memorised 4000 words, with minimal effort !

Reading Comprehension

I went to this site:

www.aldaily.com

and read essays there. They are very deep in meaning, but very well written. This improved my RC skills by leaps and bounds.

A bonus is that he essays you find on this site will help you with the AWA issue topic too.

RC Tips for the exam

1. Identify the core theme of the passage. This is of utmost importance.
2. Identify the purpose of the passage (instructing, describing etc).
3. Identify the tone of the authors writing (neutral, critical, supportive).
4. Map the course of the essay. For example, The author will start off by presenting an argument. Then he will either present evidence to support it, or refute it. Look for words like "however" which mark a twist.
5. Don't get bogged down in the minute details in the first reading. You can generally ignore most statistics. Come back to them only if you get a question asking for that specific piece of information.

Look at the following excerpt(from www.aldaily.com):

In the book of Genesis, God decreed that there were limits to growth by never allowing the Tower of Babel to reach the sky. In modern times, the task of delineating human aspirations fell to the Club of Rome, which in its 1972 study, Limits to Growth, declared that in a world of finite resources, unlimited economic expansion and prosperity are impossible to pursue.

The international scientists, who at the invitation of Italian industrialist Aurelio Peccei came together in the late 1960s to form the Club of Rome, meant well. They were united by their conviction that enormous ecological problems faced humankind and called for extraordinary political measures. At the time of its release, Limits to Growth had a profound impact, spawning alarmist headlines such as “A Computer Looks Ahead and Shudders” and “Scientists Warn of Global Catastrophe.” The subsequent 1973 oil crisis, prompted in part by the Arab embargo, made the study seem eerily prescient.

But 30 years later, the Club of Rome’s most dire forecasts have failed to come true. Vital minerals such as gold, silver, copper, tin, zinc, mercury, lead, tungsten, and oil should have been exhausted by now. But they aren’t. Due to an exponential increase in population growth, the world should be facing desperate shortages of arable land and rising food prices. Yet food prices have never been lower. And the world’s health should have been undermined by an exponential increase in pollution. People today, however, live longer than ever before, and in Western cities, most pollutants are on the decline, driven down by technological advances and environmental legislation.

What's the theme of the essay?
What's the pupose?
What's the author's tone of voice?
What's the course of the essay?

Well, I hope you find this information helpful. If you have any specific questions, please do ask. I will do my level best to answer.

HTH

AmigoRo

Title edited from:

How I prepared for GRE verbal

to

How I got 800 on the GRE Verbal Section

and topic moved by Erin.

raghuveer_v
11-26-2002, 11:36 PM
Wonderful and Truly elegant piece of advice. I wish we had you as a member before my GRE. :)

Anyway, TMians now have the guidance of

The Verbal GURU, Ro!

AmigoRo
11-26-2002, 11:59 PM
My analysis of the passage.

In the book of Genesis, God decreed that there were limits to growth by never allowing the Tower of Babel to reach the sky. In modern times, the task of delineating human aspirations fell to the Club of Rome, which in its 1972 study, Limits to Growth, declared that in a world of finite resources, unlimited economic expansion and prosperity are impossible to pursue. </font id="orange">

[COLOR=Green]So now we know what the author is going to talk about.

The international scientists, who at the invitation of Italian industrialist Aurelio Peccei came together in the late 1960s to form the Club of Rome, meant well</font id="orange">. [COLOR=Green]The phrase meant well signals two things. Firstly, the author has some sympathy for the Club of Rome. Secondly, the scientists' are probably mistaken. This is what I mean by identifying the tone of voice. They were united by their conviction that enormous ecological problems faced humankind and called for extraordinary political measures. At the time of its release, Limits to Growth had a profound impact, spawning alarmist headlines such as “A Computer Looks Ahead and Shudders” and “Scientists Warn of Global Catastrophe.” The subsequent 1973 oil crisis, prompted in part by the Arab embargo, made the study seem eerily prescient.</font id="orange"> [COLOR=Green]The author provides evidence to show why the club thought the way it did.

But</font id="orange"> [COLOR=Green]That's the twister 30 years later, the Club of Rome’s most dire forecasts have failed to come true. Vital minerals such as gold, silver, copper, tin, zinc, mercury, lead, tungsten, and oil should have been exhausted by now. But they aren’t. Due to an exponential increase in population growth, the world should be facing desperate shortages of arable land and rising food prices. Yet food prices have never been lower. And the world’s health should have been undermined by an exponential increase in pollution. People today, however, live longer than ever before, and in Western cities, most pollutants are on the decline, driven down by technological advances and environmental legislation. The author provides a volume of evidence contrary to the original argument.

The theme of the essay: The veracity the argument by a certain group that there are limits to human growth imposed by finite resources.

The purpose: Refute the notion that there are limits to growth.

The author's tone of voice: Softly critical.

The course of the essay:

Introduce argument
Introduce proponent
The evidence that convinced the proponent
TWIST
Refutation
Evidence to support the refutation

HTH
AmigoRo

ananya
11-29-2002, 03:31 AM
Amigoro,
That is very useful.I agree that it is important to follow the course of the essay.
I will go through the site you mentioned and follow the excercise.

Thanks,
Natasha

phase
02-22-2003, 04:24 PM
Amigoro,
after reading the way you prepared GRE verbal,I find that there are many skills in dong reading comperhension.Would you please show me some beyond what you have illustrated.

tapi
02-25-2003, 10:36 AM
Amigoro,
still waiting for your advice:o

mirkwood
02-26-2003, 01:51 PM
hey, the Arts & Letter Daily is really a cool website! Thanks a lot for offering such a good source! :)

tapi
02-26-2003, 03:37 PM
mirk what exactly did you read .

philipskaren
02-28-2003, 08:13 PM
anything u would like to advice for people who r avg in maths. what should be the course of action for them.???

fanfan
03-07-2003, 10:10 AM
hey,i am first come here and very appreciated what u said!waiting ur more suggestion.
well,i can not open :http://www-ec.njit.edu/~grk4352/
can u tell me another link.

hdrajesh
06-08-2003, 03:02 PM
hi
fanfan
DONT PUT "."(DOT) after www
or

neeraj.d
06-26-2003, 04:55 PM
Hi amigo Ro,

thanks for all advice !!!!

regards ,

Neeraj.

vgjain
07-07-2003, 03:27 PM
Hi AmigoRo,
How did you mark the words that you didn't know in Guru's Wordlist. I also tried to use it but found no way to mark the difficult words and sort them later.
Please reply soon..

littlebird
07-08-2003, 06:52 AM
hi,i am new to this forum and i read about this gurus list,
but i can not open :http://www-ec.njit.edu/~grk4352/
can you email it to me? thanks

tyro_writer
07-23-2003, 03:48 PM
Hello AmigoRo,

Congrats!!!
Well I tried opening the link. I could not find any GRE word list 0.3 beta. They are saying it is available, but no link is provided to download it. I got GRE Word List 0.2 beta (that has only 2526 words). Where did u get 0.3 beta. They are saying only Indians can order the CD.
Can u please send me the link again where I can get 0.3 beta?

Thanks,
-Tyro

pismoboy24
09-04-2003, 05:21 PM
I went to Guru's site and downloaded from the link: http://www-ec.njit.edu/~grk4352/ ,but when I run the program it says "guru's GRE Wordlist 0.21b". Now this seems to be 0.21 beta instead of the newer 0.3 beta which ya'll have been talking about. Could someone please clarify.
-Chris

sdanquah
09-08-2003, 12:14 AM
Congrats boy.
you have finally shown us that with hard work we can break the myth surrounding the GRE Verbal. Thanks so much for your advice and help. I am still haveing problem downloading the GRE.3beta.
I am now using vocab. builder which i find very helpful as well.
Thanks once again

brian_dell
09-19-2003, 12:48 PM
what about the actual words that appeared in the test ? were they in the list of words from barrons

anupama
10-08-2003, 09:08 PM
i went to http://www-ec.njit.edu/~grk4352/ this link I cant able to open this from here. I tried this from http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=wordlist&tg=dl-2001&search=+Go%21+ this link. At last I got wordlist.But it has only 2500 words. Is the site amigro mentioned.

nullywave
11-25-2003, 11:45 PM
i couldnt use the link to http://www-ec.njit.edu/~grk4352/. everybody seems not to be able to get anything out of it. I am downloading the one anupama suggested. i'll tell you later what I got.

stella
01-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Hi

If someone wants the Guru's GRE 2.01, I could send by e-mail. The link doesn't work. About Gruru 3.0 : does it exist?

Happy new occidental year!

Stella

swetak28
01-08-2004, 12:42 AM
Hi AMigoRo,

Am starting today to prepare for GRE vebal with your excellent suggestions on how to go about.
Thnx a ton!!!!!!!!!!

queenbee
02-27-2004, 03:27 PM
Hic? :(

How long does it take to prepare for gre?
How many hours a day you spend on GRE?

jaimerivera
02-27-2004, 05:53 PM
4 hours a day for 3 months

piaz
03-24-2004, 01:57 PM
Hi-
I am new to this forum and have just started studying for GRE. I wanted to ask you that what did you study for 4 months exactly? Did you take Kaplan or any other course? Also any one who can give good advice for average math people will help tremendously.

Thanks

Originally posted by jaimerivera

4 hours a day for 3 months

rashmi
06-18-2004, 03:43 AM
Hi,
Can someone tell the correct link to the New GRE wordlist 0.3 beta? The link provided above does not work.
Thanks

ohmyindia
05-28-2006, 11:33 PM
Try this new site: http://www.ohmyindia.com

For those in India ... You will know which words you know and which ones not. It contains GRE, TOEFL, and SAT words.

pateheo
08-26-2008, 03:58 AM
Thkx!!!!

alizafar732
09-02-2008, 12:11 AM
yeah same problem with me the link cant open and i am i serious need of vocabulary software kindly tell another link or help out thanks

rajas
09-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Same here :rolleyes:,the link is not opening!