PDA

View Full Version : Finally, it is over

ring44
11-28-2002, 12:17 AM
Well, well, well. After three months of planning and one months of test preparing, I finally arrived at the test center at Knoxville. It was extremely cold today (22 F:shy:), and everyone looked ready for the turkey tonight. So, I was hoping that ETS would go easy on me. Since today is the day before the holiday, the computer test room is inundated with the test takers whom, I think, have the same reason to choose the date as me -- finish it and forget it!:D

OK, to make the long story short. The test began with the screen which I was bit familiar, since I have taken the simulation exam from ETS as the source to practice myself:cool:. Before the exam, I did choose the "mouse practice" to relax myself a little bit.

Then the test officially began. The first section (listening comprehension) was alright. I got 27[^]. As some of the previous post said, some of the conversions, especially those science talks, are relatively hard. It not only requires you to have a bit of common sense, but more importantly, to be able to grasp every detail during the talk. So, if I have to share some of my experience, I'd say to listen to more speed or lectures that are related to sciences would definitely help you understand more about the talk.

For the second section, I was astounded by the number (25 questions in 18 mins) of questions as well as the difficulties in those questions. I made 10-28 on that[|)]. To be honest with you, I didn't know how I got this much, since I basically had to make a guess. Well, as many of you may know, there is no shortcut on this section but to study really hard.

For reading section, I think I was doing so-so, since I got only 24 on that section. Passages are pretty short compared to the ones on ACT, so I spend only about 6-10 mins on each story. However, I found that it is bit hard to deal with the question related to "INSERT the new sentence into one of six given spot", and some vocabularies, such as "wreak havoc" “in earnest”[:(!], which I still didn't figure its meaning. (can someone tell me what those two phrases means?) Those are the reasons, as far as I think, why I made the lowest among all the sections. [V]

OK, finally. The essay is about advertisement. I am sure you know which essay I am talk about. I wrote only four paragraphs (opening, closing, two points in the body). Only thing that is making the writing scary to me is that the clock was ticking much faster than I thought. By the time I finish my second paragraph, I only have about 12 mins. Then I had to quickly wrap it up without giving as much thoughts as I used to. I spend only 3 mins to check the grammatical error. I think it was ok overall. Hopefully, I can 4/4.5/5 ;)

Well, my total came out 203-263. 240-250 was my goal. You bet, I am pretty happy. :DI wish you enjoyed my story.

Have a great day!

AmigoRo
11-28-2002, 01:56 AM
Well done

wreak havoc = Inflict severe damage. E.g. The Hurricane wreaked havoc along the miami coast.
In earnest = with determination. E.g. After months of political quibbling that blocked the construction of the dam, work on the project began in earnest last week.

Erin
11-28-2002, 03:07 AM
I hope you can get 250. You'll need a 4.5 or a 5.0 on your essay to do that.

AmigoRo explained your questions; for the "insert sentence," you can see this page:

http://www.TestMagic.com/toefl/reading/Sentence_Insertion.htm

ring44
02-08-2003, 02:28 AM
Hey guys,
How's y'all doin'? I just got my TOEFL score, which was 267: Reading 24; Listening 27; Grammar 26; TWE 6.0 This will definitely fulfill the requirement of all the American Institution (correct me if I am wrong). Finally, I'd like to thank the people here who helped with my writing, which undoubtedly gives me a prefect score.

Wish the best for Testmagic!

Thank you,

Richard,

P.S. I will definitely come back for GRE later.

ttaann
02-08-2003, 02:44 AM
[/SIZE]
You did it!!! ;)[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]
Congratulations!!! [^][/SIZE]