PDA

View Full Version : 233-290..Some tips and experiences

ananya
12-30-2002, 06:23 AM
Hi,

I just took my Toefl and this is what my score card looked like...

Listening 27
structure 13-30
reading 30

Range 233- 290

Well, for those of you who are still to take the test I would give the following tips
1) Ok , there is no way to avoid the tutorial. So all these test books which say skip the tutorial, well they haven't got it correct. So just try to go through it as fast as you can. Actually, I thought it was pretty helpful even though I am a regular computer user.
2) The listening is not tough. It's just that the time is a big factor in this section. So basically you don't have much time to mull over your answers.
3) Now the reading.These are my suggestions...
Go for one passage at a time even though you are allowed to navigate through the entire section. What's the point in confusing yourself ?

Do not answer the difficult questions(like main idea, or inference questions) first. Navigate through the questions pertaining to the passage and answer all those questions about "meaning" or "what noun does this pronoun refer to"? The reason I suggest doing this is because while answering these simpler questions, you sub consciously read the passage which helps you to answer the more difficult questions.(Tip from Princeton Review)

There is no "answer confirm" in the reading section so I was really confused about the whole thing. Here is how it functions. You start answering all the questions,once you reach the last one and press "next" the computer asks you whether you want to quit this section. I would suggest spending time reviewing the answers because the reading section gives you ample time.

Anyway that's all for now.
Best of Luck to all...
:D

cinderellahn
12-30-2002, 10:10 AM
<font face="Andale Mono">[/SIZE]
GREAT SCORE, ananya[/SIZE]</font id="Andale Mono">

I am happy that you gained such good score! No doubt, your final score will be great too!!!

Thanks for sharing us your experience. I have only one more piece, some of these experience you can gain by practicing with Power Prep. So never forget to try PP as many times as you can before taking the real one.

Nice score. Congratulation again :).

karthik3393
01-22-2003, 08:14 AM
Hey Ananya.....

Wish I had read ur msg .. 2 days bfore... I had the same confusion with the reading... (No Confirm Answer & stuff) [B)] Lost quite some time figuring tht out....

Well anyways ... Hope for the best ! [|)]

Karthik