PDA

View Full Version : Are word problems important on the GRE???

jasius
01-27-2003, 06:33 PM
Hi!

I started practising Math part of GRE test from Kaplan's book "GRE/GMAT Math workbook, third editiom". When practising I found that chapter four - word problems - "is a significant portion of the math problems on the GRE."
I didn't hear about any word problems in GRE math part. Probably I missed something?
Should I practise word problem part from that book or not?

Thanks

Title modified ever so slightly by Erin.

Erin
01-27-2003, 11:39 PM
Yes, word problems are crucial to getting a high score. Perhaps there's some confusion about the meaning of "word problems??" ?

jasius
01-28-2003, 02:32 AM
No, I guess word problems means the same word problems. And I guess they are really problems as far as I am concernd.

Thank You

Erin
01-28-2003, 02:45 AM
Yes, a very good portion of the questions on the GRE will be word problems, and you will be expected to figure out the best way to tackle them. Not as many questions are "straight math;" many of them involved finding some trick or shortcut to solve the problem. The good news, however, is that you can try backsolving, plugging, or "guess and check" to get the right answers and still do fairly well on the test.

If you have any study questions, you can post them here, and folks will help you! :)