PDA

View Full Version : Top 100 words < G-L >

kalaga
02-20-2003, 10:48 AM
gam·ete n. A reproductive cell having the haploid number of chromosomes, esp. a mature sperm or egg capable of fusing with a gamete of the opposite sex to produce the fertilized egg.—ga·met ic adj.

gauche adj. Lacking social polish; tactless. [French awkward < Old French < gauchir, to turn aside, walk clumsily, of Germanic origin.] —gauche ly adv. —gauche ness n.

ger·ry·man·der tr.v. -dered, -der·ing, -ders To divide (a geographic area) into voting districts so as to give unfair advantage to one party in elections.§ n. 1. The act, process, or an instance of gerrymandering. 2. A district or configuration of districts differing widely in size or population because of gerrymandering. [After Elbridge Gerry + (sala)mander (< the shape of an election district created while Gerry was governor of MA).]

he·gem·o·ny n., pl. -nies The predominant influence, as of a state, region, or group, over another or others. —heg e·mon ic adj. —he·gem o·nism n. —he·gem o·nist adj. & n.

he·mo·glo·bin n. The iron-containing respiratory pigment in red blood cells of vertebrates, consisting of about 6 percent heme and 94 percent globin. [Ultimately short for hematinoglobulin : hematin + globulin.]

ho·mo·ge·ne·ous adj. 1. Of the same or similar nature or kind. 2. Uniform in structure or composition. 3. Mathematics Consisting of terms of the same degree or elements of the same dimension.—ho mo·ge ne·ous·ness n.

hu·bris also hy·bris n. Overbearing pride or presumption; arrogance. [Greek excessive pride, wanton violence; see ud- in App.] —hu·bris tic adj. —hu·bris tic·al·ly adv.

hy·pot·e·nuse also hy·poth·e·nuse n. The side of a right triangle opposite the right angle. [Greek hupoteinousa < feminine present participle of hupoteinein, to stretch or extend under : hupo-, hypo- + teinein, to stretch; see ten- in App.]

im·peach tr.v. -peached, -peach·ing, -peach·es 1a. To accuse. b. To charge (a public official) with improper conduct in office before a proper tribunal. 2. To challenge the validity of; try to discredit: impeach one's credibility.—im·peach er n. —im·peach ment n.

in·cog·ni·to adv. & adj. With one's identity disguised or concealed.§ n., pl. -tos 1. One whose identity is disguised or concealed. 2. The condition of having a disguised or concealed identity.
in·con·tro·vert·i·ble adj. Impossible to dispute; unquestionable. —in·con tro·vert i·bil i·ty n. —in·con tro·vert i·bly adv.

in·cul·cate tr.v. -cat·ed, -cat·ing, -cates 1. To impress (something) upon the mind of another by frequent instruction or repetition; instill: inculcating sound principles. 2. To teach (others) by frequent instruction or repetition; indoctrinate.—in cul·ca tion n. —in·cul ca tor n.

in·fra·struc·ture n. 1. An underlying base or foundation, esp. for an organization or a system. 2. The basic facilities, services, and installations needed for the functioning of a community or society, such as transportation and communications systems.

in·ter·po·late v. -lat·ed, -lat·ing, -lates — tr. 1. To insert or introduce between other elements or parts. 2a. To insert (material) into a text. b. To insert into a conversation. 3. To change or falsify (a text) with new or incorrect material. 4. Mathematics To estimate a value of (a function or series) between two known values. — intr. To make insertions or additions.—in·ter po·la tion n. —in·ter po·la tive adj. —in·ter po·la tor n.

i·ro·ny n., pl. -nies 1a. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning. b. An expression or utterance marked by irony. c. A literary style employing irony for humorous or rhetorical effect. 2a. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs. b. An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity. See Usage Note at ironic. 3. Dramatic irony. 4. Socratic irony

je·june adj. 1. Not interesting; dull. 2. Lacking maturity; childish. 3. Lacking in nutrition.—je·june ly adv. —je·june ness n.

ki·net·ic adj. 1. Of, relating to, or produced by motion. 2. Relating to or exhibiting kinesis.—ki·net i·cal·ly adv.

kow·tow intr.v. -towed, -tow·ing, -tows 1. To kneel and touch the forehead to the ground in expression of deep respect, worship, or submission, as formerly done in China. 2. To show servile deference.§ n. 1. The act of kneeling and touching the forehead to the ground. 2. An obsequious act.

lais·sez faire also lais·ser faire n. 1. An economic doctrine that opposes governmental regulation of or interference in commerce. 2. Noninterference in the affairs of others—lais sez-faire adj.

lex·i·con n., pl. -cons or -ca (-k ) 1. A dictionary. 2. A stock of terms used in a particular profession, subject, or style; a vocabulary. 3. Linguistics The morphemes of a language considered as a group.
lo·qua·cious adj. Very talkative; garrulous—lo·qua cious·ly adv. —lo·qua cious·ness, lo·quac i·ty (l -kw s -t ) n.

lu·gu·bri·ous adj. Mournful, dismal, or gloomy, esp. to an exaggerated or ludicrous degree.—lu·gu bri·ous·ly adv. —lu·gu bri·ous·ness n.

Source: The American Heritage College Dictionary