Hi friends,

I have got my final score

LISTENING 28
STRUCTURE 26
READING 30
TWE 4.5
TOTAL 280

I m happy with this score :-) [dance]

I wud like to thank all tmians for helping me.
Special thanks to Erin for such a wonderful site and forum.

Listening section was difficult with 6-7 lectures and 3-4 long conversations.Even the short talks wer not tht short.Also some talks wer big but they wer followed by just 2-3 questions.

Structure was as usual quite easy except 2-3 questions tht wer confusing.

Reading was difficult and some questions wer tricky with confusing answer choices.The trick here is to utilise all the time u have.I utilised almost all the time.

The writing part was easy but I made a blunder.I started of writing in favour of statement but l8r realized tht I wud be better off writing against it.I lost 15 mins. here and wrote the complete essay in just 15 mins.Didnt get any time to proofread it.My topic was easy "Friendship can be harmed or damaged by borrowing...".

I have got 4.5 in essay when I only wrote in just 15mins.
Guys 6.0 is very easy on TOEFL essay just write ur heart out over thr on the assigned topic.

I m happy tht I m thru with TOEFL :-D [dance]
Now its TSE & GRE time.

Once again thanks to ERIN & other fellow [tm] TMIANS :-D)))

I wish u all, all the Best :)

Vinay

Erin
03-12-2003, 07:49 PM
Great score! Hope your essay comes out okay. I just have to ask, though--did you write your TOEFL essay with the same kind of English you used in your post here? I.e., loads of abbreviations and "Internet English?" Hope not. Otherwise, you'll be penalized.

What's the lowest score on the TWE/TOEFL Essay? To be honest, I've never seen any of my students get a 1.0 or a 2.0 on their essays. Even if you type only "I disagree with this topic." TOEFL gives you a 1.0. You could get a 2.0 with just a few sentences. So you'd really have to try hard to get lower than 3.0.

You need a 1.5 or a 2.0 to get your 250, so I think it's pretty safe to predict that you made it, in which case, I'd like to say CONGRATS!! [tm] [dance] [tm]

Vinay
03-13-2003, 10:54 AM
Hi Erin,

Thank You very much.
And I really hope I get atleast 3 or above.

No I didnt write Internet English.I read some of your earlier posts suggesting not to write internet english and its ill effects on score.It took time coz I was really used to writing in this style.

And I wud like to thank you again for providing me a lot of information on test before hand thru this wonderful site and forum.

When I get my score report I will post my final score.

Thanx again...

Vinay

poli
03-13-2003, 12:01 PM
Hello,Vinay!!!
I am sure u will get a high score! I remember reading ur essay and I think u have a great resource of words in ur mind and as Erin said u need to write more than few sentences to get 3 and I am sure u wrote more than few!:-)
I will keep my fingers crossed for u!:-)

Shirley
03-13-2003, 01:05 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!wONDERFUL SCORE!!

Vinay
03-13-2003, 05:58 PM
Thanx Poli and Shirley :-D

I really hope everything comes out fine.

And I remember Poli wht I told u tht if I get 5 or above you will be the first person whome I will tell. :-D)))

Poli BEST OF LUCK for ur TOEFL ur next so go and crack TOEFL 300/300.
MY BEST WISHES R WITH YOU. :-D
also make sure tht u utilise all ur time in reading section.Do not hurry and 30/30 will be in your pocket.

Vinay

poli
03-14-2003, 06:46 AM
Hehe,thank u so much,Vinay!
I wil do my best,although my reading never be so good.
Thanks again!:cool:

iconoclast
03-16-2003, 07:22 AM
Congratulations Vinay!Here's hoping you get your desired score...Good Luck!

Virgil
03-31-2003, 10:52 PM
I just wondered what is your native country?

Vinay
04-01-2003, 01:27 PM
My native country is INDIA

Wanee
04-02-2003, 12:43 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!
Is there a lot of noise when you test? Do we need ear plug?

ymh133024608
04-02-2003, 02:15 AM
You did the great job! I really admire your achivement!
I finished the CBT last week, but I lost it again.
I got the score: L-21; S-7~27; R-23
When I test in reading comprehension, I thought it is easier than before i had and I checked the answer once.
I predicted I can get the higher score than I really got it.
I hope I have a ideal progess in my score like yours on next time CBT.
Could you give me some suggestions that you improve the abilities in all 4 aspects and practice the CBT?

Congrates & Thanks!

Vinay
04-02-2003, 06:24 PM
thanks wanee and ymh :-)

wanee the noise is much of a factor in Listening part whr maximum concentration is needed.
for reading & writing part I was provided with ear plugs and i just put them into my ears and forgot evrythin abt noise.

But dont worry thr will not be a lot of noise just a little sneezes or coughs or opening of door etc but it is bearable if u dont worry abt it. So dude be cool and calm while giving ur test (especially listening).

And one more thing adjust the volume in listening part a little higher then wht u hear in tutorial coz it is bit low in tutorial. I made a mistake here and set the volume accrding to tutorial but when the real test came it was a bit low.

YMH give powerprep atleast 5 times before ur real Test. The score tht u will get in real exam will be a reflection of ur powerprep score.

I was gettin 28 in listening everytime in powerprep,I tried to get higher but cudnt do so.similarly in structure i was getting 12-29. also in reading i was gettin 28-29 everytime.

So I suggest u to give powerprep again n again to judge ur performance.

Get urself CAMBRIDGE BOOK on toefl. I found it really good. Its tests r also good.

In gist,

for LISTENING read abt idioms and be familiar with them.They r most important. Before exam try Watching CNN or hollywood movies and concentrate on details.Barron's list of idioms is gr8.
Concenrate deeply during exam dont think abt nythin else.

for STRUCTURE brush up ur grammer thoroughly. Grammer in cambridge book is excellant.
remeber structure questions in real exam r sumtimes tricky so be aware and dont rush pace urself.

for READING just read paragraph completely and take your time.thr is no hurry as thr will be a lot of time.spend ample amnt of time on each question and dont leave any questions for l8r coz tht breaks the flow. try using ur full quota of time as after this test u will have lot of time so dont complete reading section in hurry as most ppl do.

Remember sum questions in reading section r tricky for example main idea questions, give these questions more time then vocab questions.

for WRITING part just dont get worried, write ur heart out thr on the given topic, just be abt spellings and grammer and most importantly oraganisation.keep ur essay simple. dont use big words to explain smaal things.

And most importantly utilise ur full time 30 secs judiciously.I m tellin u this coz I wasted 15 min. deciding to agree with the given statement and ended up disagreeing it. so I just utilised 15 mins.

give atleast 3 reasons for ur agreement or disagreement.

Hope it helps :-)

All the best for ur Future :-)

Vinay

taurus
04-09-2003, 06:50 PM
hello guys!
Why to take GRE and GMaT test?
Can any one tell
Is toelf not enoug?
For what choice we need to take GRE OR GMAT oe TSE?
thnak you
bye

nu_nam2001
04-13-2003, 09:28 AM
taurus;

hello guys!
Why to take GRE and GMaT test?
Can any one tell
Is toelf not enoug?
For what choice we need to take GRE OR GMAT oe TSE?
thnak you
bye

TOEFL is required for all international students.
GRE is required for all graduate students except those who are in MBA.
GMAT is required for MBA graduate students.
TSE requirement is dependent on universities especially for international students in Ph.D. program.

HTH.

Wanee
04-16-2003, 01:05 AM
Hi Vinay:
Excellent scores. How do you improve your listening section?

nu_nam2001
04-16-2003, 01:22 AM
Hi Rat;
Read this;

http://www.TestMagic.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=55

Hope you can get some idea after reading.:)

Nam

Vinay
04-16-2003, 11:38 PM
Hi wanee,

thnx :-)

for listening I suggest u download Barron's idioms file frm taisha.org or if u have book then its gr8.
Go thru tht list at least 4 times daily.Also try watching as many english movies and news programs as possible and try listening to each and every word spoken.Initially u will feel bored but it is essential as ur mind will slowly adapt to this situation and then u will be able to understand almost all talk without any extra effort.

The complete listening section is basically a test of how much u recognize idioms coz they r an important part of english communication.

After u r confident with idioms, go thru listening excercises in CAMBRIDGE BOOK. I think this book is very good for all the sections of TOEFL. Longman book is also good but I guess its much costlier.

I found cambridge book to be very helpful along with its CD and 4 cassetes for listening practice.

Then follow up this practice with TOEFL POWERPREP. If u get around 28-29 in Listening in Powerprep then u r going good as POWERPREP score is the best reflector of real score.
Powerprep conversations r of the similar kind as real test,though real test conversations require more concentration.

Remember abt volume issue I addressed before in my earlier long post.

And most importantly be cool during the exam. If u feel tht ur questions r tough and u may not be doin well then may be u doing very well coz difficult questions means u r doing good.

So be calm and crack the TOEFL.

Its really easy and I wish u all the best and 300 in TOEFL :-)

Vinay

Wanee
04-17-2003, 01:26 AM
Hi Vinay:

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I have the TOEFL book of Barron's. However, I do not find the idiom list as you mentioned. I will try to find it from the web you give me.

I feel it is difficult to catch the every spoken word when I listen news or movies. The result is that I cannot catch up with it and I am lost.

Again thank you very much for your best wish!

Wanee

Vinay
04-18-2003, 01:34 AM
Hey wanee,

if you want I can send u tht file thru mail.

yea i know it will be difficult to catch every single word initially but u will get a hang of it soon after u start.

Vinay

Wanee
04-24-2003, 07:26 AM
Hi Vinay:
Thank you very much for your kindness and I am terribly sorry for I have not accessed Internet for some days. Could you e-mail me since I want to talk to you more. My e-mail address is ladanagosin@hotmail.com. I am looking forward to hearing you!

Wanee