PDA

View Full Version : TOEFL Score 273

iconoclast
03-13-2003, 06:10 AM
Took the Toefl the other day and got a score range of 223-280.One piece of advice I'd like to give people who're taking the test is before you begin answering the listening section, please set the volume slightly higher...a little above optimum...in my case when I started the test I was pretty comfortable,but once the GRE test takers in the other cabins started typing their essays it was awful![:(!]Its hard to listen with all those typing sounds in the background.And you cannot adjust the volume in the middle of a section so that was bad.I got a 28 on the Listening section.Should be getting the score report in about 2 weeks..will post my score then.:)

Here's wishing everyone Good luck!
--Jaya

harbinger
03-13-2003, 06:45 AM
Congratulation! You did a bang-up job. Your score is my dream.

Vinay
03-13-2003, 11:05 AM
Hi jaya,

Congrats for ur good score.
I wish u good luck for ur TWE score.

And yes u r very right the volume is a big prob.I also took toefl yesterday and the same thing happened with me.I also scored 28 in Listening coz I missed a few dialogues coz sumone was coughing.Bcoz of tht i wasnt able to answer one question confidently.

Congrats and good luck for ur TWE score!!!

Vinay

Shirley
03-13-2003, 01:11 PM
Hey!Great score!Congrats!Well I also agree with you.Noise is a big problem.When I gave my TOEFL,someone was consantly blowing their nose and inspite of plugging in the earplugs, i couldn't avoid it. Noise from typing is also distracting.I got even a much lower score on the listening-26!

iconoclast
03-16-2003, 07:16 AM
Thank you Harbinger,Vinay and Shirley!:)Harbinger,when do u intend to take the Toefl?

iconoclast
04-01-2003, 02:23 PM
I received my score report today.My final score is 273.
Listening 28
Structure/Writing 28
Reading 26
Essay Rating 5.5 (Got the exact same score on the GRE AWA!!)
--Jaya:)

harbinger
04-01-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by iconoclast

Thank you Harbinger,Vinay and Shirley!:)Harbinger,when do u intend to take the Toefl?

Congrats, your essay score is truly awesome.
For my test, I intend to take the TOEFL and GRE in August this year. Some friends advise me to take the Toefl right now and then concentrate on GRE study but I cannot take this advice since at the moment I have my hands full trying to finish my graduation thesis. Hopefully I can take the TOEFL and GRE in August and achieve the good scores prior to the dead line.

Vinay
04-01-2003, 04:18 PM
Congrats Jaya!!!!

Your essay score is excellant :-)

Jaya wht is the main difference according to u between TOEFL essay and GRE AWA essays.
I got 4.5 in TWE and now I m really worried abt GRE AWA.

Congrats again and all the best for your bright future :-)))))

Vinay

iconoclast
04-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Harbinger:I think you should take the tests as per your convenience.The important thing is your frame of mind during the test and if you have other things to worry about then its bound to affect your performance.So, take the tests at a suitable time.Good luck!:)

Vinay:Firstly, i don't think you should be worried about your GRE AWA.I read somewhere else that you'd messed up because you decided to change your stand 15 mins after you started typing.One word of advice is:spend the first 5 minutes thinking about the topic and come hell or high water do not even think about changing your stand after that.Utilise the first 5 minutes analysing the topic itself...the wording and the like.I think most people find it easier to support a stand that is more or less in agreement with their personal beliefs about the issue.Its important that you do not falter mid way.So, use those 5 mins wisely.:cool:
Now coming to your question as regards the difference between the Toefl and the GRE essay.Before I move on to talk about the finer points I must say that the basic rules of essay writing hold good for both.As far as the difference is concerned you can make out when you look at the topics.The TOEFL essay topics seem to be more general and a bit informal if I might put it that way.They seem more like general questions.The GRE topics are more formal.They deal with a wide variety of issues.This is about all I can think of for now.Let me warn you that I'm no expert though!;)

Vinay
04-05-2003, 01:50 PM
thnx Jaya for the Info :-)

Vinay

taurus
04-05-2003, 09:39 PM
hello Jaya!
I a just new at TestMagic, I have test at coming tuesdaywould you like to suggest me some tips to get good score in toefl.What shouls I revise more in the remaining days, according to you?
I am preparing for structure more and more, coz I got confusion all the time in it.
Any ways, I need suggestions from all of you too with JAYA.
I will be very thank full to you.
Take good cares.
Good bye!

iconoclast
04-07-2003, 01:33 AM
Hello Taurus!So, you're taking the test tomorrow...The best advice I can give you at the moment is to keep a cool head.Do not worry about your performance before or during the test.Just relax and take deep breaths if and when you feel nervous...it helps.
For the listening section, as I've said before please adjust the volume to a little higher than optimum.What sounds optimum on the tutorial of the listening section may not be okay for the actual test questions.I know its weird but that was the case with me.During the tutorial I adjusted the volume to optimim but when the test started I had a hard time listening to the test questions what with all those people typing and atuff..The listening section is all about concentration and a bit of memory.
The structure section should not be a problem.Just read the sentence in your mind and judge, based on whatever grammar you've learned and practised.
The reading section is relatively easier.When I took the test I thought I'd score a 30 on that one cause all the questions seemed really easy.I finished much before the allotted time.But some questions are tricky...I guess I lost out there.So, spend enough time per question no matter how easy it appears.
Finally, the writing task.The topics aren't very difficult.You can score easily on this section.I mean you'd have to be really really bad to not make a 3.
Wow!I really do love to give advice, don't I?:crazy:Anyways, I'm done!
Here's wishing you good luck!~
--Jaya:)
Oh ya!And when u're back from the test, do remember to log in and tell us how you fared![tm]

taurus
04-07-2003, 08:48 PM
Thanks alot ICONOCLAST,
Hopefully I will try my best there.
And I will tell you all by replying here after taken the test.
A request: you all please pray for me.
I am already thankful to all of you. and I will be more afterwards.
Take Good Cares All of You.
Good Bye.

taurus
04-09-2003, 06:53 PM
ICONOCLAST Hello,
I didnt do well in test Iw as badly nervous with headach I dont yet why that happened to me
Test was not So hard.
I got
L=17,
R=some 19,
S/W= I dont know
All was computer based
129-193
So what should I do now?
What my score is?
Take Care
Make me Reply whether at my mail address .
torus313@yahoo.com
bye

iconoclast
04-10-2003, 10:20 AM
Hello Taurus!
I'm afraid the minimum score requirement for most American Univs stands at 213 on the CBT.I guess you'll have to retake the test sometime.I'm sorry to know you weren't at your best because of the headache... the TOEFL is a long test and even when one is perfectly okay, the mental fatigue starts to set in towards the end.I understand it must've been difficult for you to stay focussed.
Don't worry about your score now.Take a break for about a week or something and then decide as to when you'd like to retake the test.Once that is done start your prep and focus on your problem areas.
Another thing that just occurred to me is...did you schedule the test for the best time?I think there are two slots...one in the morning and one in the afternoon.You must decide which one is best suited for you.Some people are at their best early in the morning.Others may have different preferences.That is another thing you may consider when you reschedule.
This is about it for now.I'm sure you can do much better next time.Don't be disheartened.And if theres any way I can help, do let me know.Good luck!
-- Jaya

taurus
04-11-2003, 07:30 PM
Hello Jaya!
Thnx to be in touch with me
And WHat should I do now?
Can I take the toefl test online any time?
Or have to take by ETS PROMETRIC all the time
Coz according to them I cna just take toelf test once a month at the same date which I attended before.
What would you like to suggest me
Take Good cares
I gave you my id So u can keep in touch with me by that too.
I will be thankful to all of you take care
Bye!

iconoclast
04-22-2003, 03:39 PM
Hello Taurus!
You will have to register yourself again to take the TOEFL.I think you can take the test once per calendar month.I suggest you focus on your prep and pick a date which suits you.I really wouldn't mind emailing you but the reason I post replies here is cause I think it may help more people.Take care and Good Luck!
--Jaya

taurus
04-28-2003, 07:29 PM
Thank you Jaya!

But I just got my official result of TOEFL TEST thats 193 .
Now should I try again
I have applied in johns jay college and brooklyn college.
Now whats ur suggestions is to me?
Take Care
Its ok to make me reply here. Coz this can help many people
Thnx again
Take care
Jaya
Bye