PDA

View Full Version : Guarantee 600 on the GMAT

flipman
03-19-2003, 03:50 PM
Does anyone know about this test prep company? They guarantee a 600 score. I was trying to figure out if it is worth the money and how the heck can they guarantee a score of 600?

Here's the website:

http://www.gmatpreparation.com/

Erin
03-19-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by flipman

Does anyone know about this test prep company? They guarantee a 600 score. I was trying to figure out if it is worth the money and how the heck can they guarantee a score of 600?

Here's the website:

If you decide to look into test prep courses, be wary of those that promise you a definite score increase on the GMAT. They’re not taking the test for you. The best way to do well on the GMAT is to study.

These are not my words, they is taken directly from the GMAT official GMAT website (http://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/ToolsToHelpYouPrepare/TestPreparation/TestPrepCourses.htm).

When I read your post, I thought that a guarantee of 600 was pretty ridiculous. But then I went to the site and saw that the guarantee meant simply that if you don't get 600, you study with them longer. Usually this means simply repeating the course.

No course can guarantee a score increase. There are simply too many factors involved (what if the person's English skills aren't developed?). Any honest test prep company will tell you that there are lots of people who do raise their scores, but that there are some who don't. On average, coaching does help, but there are a few for whom it does not. I actually had a student last year whose score went down after she took one of the big name courses.

But it's still possible that the course is good, although in my mind, they hurt their own credibility by offering an unrealistic guarantee.

And you said that you've already taken PR, right? I think you'll find that once you get back into a classroom that the new course will feel oh-too-familiar to you.

In a word, I'm skeptical.

Einstein
03-19-2003, 11:41 PM
A guarantee of 600 is pretty pathetic, too. It's not hard to get a 600 unless you really didn't study, are sick, don't read English well, etc. I agree with Erin. Sounds bogus to me.

gmatwizard
07-26-2005, 05:54 PM

Here's the website:

I know that I am responding to a post that goes back a couple of years, but I thought that I should clarify how the company, MLIC, guarantees a score of at least 600. I can speak for it because I was skeptical myself before I enrolled in MLICETS GMAT course (http://www.gmatpreparation.com/gmat.html)last year, but I was pleasantly surprised when I received their study and strategy guides, and their preprogram assignment files. They were very relevant to the GMAT and contained information that is important to dealing with the high difficulty aspect of the GMAT. The company, MLIC, requires you to complete about 25 hours of preclass work involving Analytical Writing and some serious math review before you come to the in-class training. Also, the in-class training, about 45 hours, is the most intensive training you can ever receive anywhere, and deals with training you in competencies required to deal with the high-difficulty areas of the GMAT. Actually, MLIC (http://www.mlicets.org/gmat/gmat-prepcourses.html) trains you to be proficient in the high-diffulty areas of the test so that you will be prepared for a score of 700 or better. I cannot see why anyone, who is half-decent, after going through this degree of training cannot make at least 600. People do. I scored 710 after taking the MLIC GMAT course. My prior attempts were hovering around a score of 570. MLIC can guarantee the score (provided you DO ALL THE WORK THEY GIVE YOU) because they MAKE YOU DO THE WORK, and not leave it up to you to work through a bunch of garbage that you probably receive from Kaplan or PR guys. I would strongly recommend MLICETS GMAT (http://www.mlicets.org/gmat/gmat-prepcourses.html)or GRE PREP course (http://www.greprep.org/)to anyone seriously looking for help in achieving a score of better than 700. There is no gimmick here and nothing hanky-panky. I can speak to that because I have taken the MLICETS prep course for a test-drive and have become an ardent fan of their dedication and approach. If you mean business, go with MLICETS. Forget about Veritas or Kaplan or PR.

gmatwizard
07-26-2005, 09:07 PM
A guarantee of 600 is pretty pathetic, too. It's not hard to get a 600 unless you really didn't study, are sick, don't read English well, etc. I agree with Erin. Sounds bogus to me.

Just because you chose the handle EINSTEIN for yourself does not make you a genius. Read my post and you will see why it is not bogus. GMAT tests logical reasoning, and by the way you sound, you will probably make 300 on the test. You are pathetic, Einstein-wanna-be!:crazy:

If you decide to look into test prep courses, be wary of those that promise you a definite score increase on the GMAT. They’re not taking the test for you. The best way to do well on the GMAT is to study.

These are not my words, they is taken directly from the GMAT official GMAT website (http://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/ToolsToHelpYouPrepare/TestPreparation/TestPrepCourses.htm).

When I read your post, I thought that a guarantee of 600 was pretty ridiculous. But then I went to the site and saw that the guarantee meant simply that if you don't get 600, you study with them longer. Usually this means simply repeating the course.

No course can guarantee a score increase. There are simply too many factors involved (what if the person's English skills aren't developed?). Any honest test prep company will tell you that there are lots of people who do raise their scores, but that there are some who don't. On average, coaching does help, but there are a few for whom it does not. I actually had a student last year whose score went down after she took one of the big name courses.

But it's still possible that the course is good, although in my mind, they hurt their own credibility by offering an unrealistic guarantee.

And you said that you've already taken PR, right? I think you'll find that once you get back into a classroom that the new course will feel oh-too-familiar to you.

In a word, I'm skeptical.

ERIN,

You are SO WRONG, Erin! The MLICETS GMAT PREP COURSE (http://www.mlicets.org/gmat/gmat-prepcourses.html)is far superior to the PRINCETON REVIEW class. It is not 'oh-too-familiar' feeling but 'gee-what-a-difference' feeling that you get when you take the MLICETS course. I took the MLIC class and one of the other guys taking the course with me was a dude teaching for PR. That should tell you something. Also, there is nothing bogus about MLICETS GMAT (http://www.gmatpreparation.com/gmat.html) score guarantee. It is not enough to STUDY, because if you 'study' some garbage, you produce '****'. If you 'study' quality material that MLIC provides, you will see big change in the way you take the test. Also, they do not unconditionally guarantee your GMAT score. They say, if you do all the pre-class assignments, participate in all 5 days of in-class training, and do all post-course work, you should see a score of at least 600 on the GMAT. They actually train you to get a score of better than 700. I did: I went from low 500's to low 700's. [clap] Cbeck it out before you flap with your mouth like a know-it-all that you are not!

Erin
07-26-2005, 09:29 PM
First, I should point out that any experienced webmaster will see red flags in your post that could indicate that you are not an impartial poster.
Just because you chose the handle EINSTEIN for yourself does not make you a genius. You are pathetic, Einstein-wanna-be!:crazy:

ERIN,

You are SO WRONG, Erin!

Cbeck it out before you flap with your mouth like a know-it-all that you are not!If you read my post, you will see that it is carefully worded. I did not say that the course was bad; I said I was skeptical. I did not say that the OP would think the class was the same, I said I thought the course would feel familiar. I didn't say I thought the course wouldn't raise somebody's GMAT score, I said a guarantee (in the true sense of the word) wasn't possible. That's all. No need to read more into my posts or to respond with anger; it doesn't help your case at all.

If they have built the dream GMAT course, more power to them. I have absolutely no problem with good classes. Why would I?? :rolleyes: And I have never claimed to "know it all." I simply could not know it all, as there's too much to know. ;)

gmat168
07-26-2005, 09:36 PM
If that guy isn't a shill, I dunno what is. Who the heck takes the time to HOT LINK the courses' URL's, even if he/she were an "enthusiastic" past student?!

gmatwizard
07-26-2005, 09:58 PM
First, I should point out that any experienced webmaster will see red flags in your post that could indicate that you are not an impartial poster.If you read my post, you will see that it is carefully worded. I did not say that the course was bad; I said I was skeptical. I did not say that the OP would think the class was the same, I said I thought the course would feel familiar. I didn't say I thought the course wouldn't raise somebody's GMAT score, I said a guarantee (in the true sense of the word) wasn't possible. That's all. No need to read more into my posts or to respond with anger; it doesn't help your case at all.

If they have built the dream GMAT course, more power to them. I have absolutely no problem with good classes. Why would I?? :rolleyes: And I have never claimed to "know it all." I simply could not know it all, as there's too much to know. ;)

You should have said that you do not know enough about it or should have done some research before you ventured your 'opinions'.

Erin
07-26-2005, 10:01 PM
If that guy isn't a shill, I dunno what is. Who the heck takes the time to HOT LINK the courses' URL's, even if he/she were an "enthusiastic" past student?!LOL. Yep, that's what an experienced webmaster would first notice. Complete with the relevant anchor text and bolded terms, straight from Lesson 2 of SEO 101, to boot. :D Also notice the links go to two different domains.

gmatwizard
07-26-2005, 10:02 PM
If that guy isn't a shill, I dunno what is. Who the heck takes the time to HOT LINK the courses' URL's, even if he/she were an "enthusiastic" past student?!

'Hot Link' was started by the dude who wanted know about the 'Score Guarantee' in the first place.

Erin
07-26-2005, 10:05 PM
You should have said that you do not know enough about it or should have done some research before you ventured your 'opinions'.You're quite welcome to voice your opinion here, although I would ask that you do so politely and rationally. I do try to keep the forum as open as possible, while still maintaining a safe learning environment.

And I stand by what I've said. :)

gmatwizard
07-26-2005, 11:36 PM
LOL. Yep, that's what an experienced webmaster would first notice. Complete with the relevant anchor text and bolded terms, straight from Lesson 2 of SEO 101, to boot. :D Also notice the links go to two different domains.

You claim that you are not a know-it-all but you sure love to sound like one, don't you? Let us chill out. if you are the forum administrator, can you tell me how I can change 'making mom and dad proud' to something more interesting? I am sure you KNOW how to do this.:D

You're quite welcome to voice your opinion here, although I would ask that you do so politely and rationally. I do try to keep the forum as open as possible, while still maintaining a safe learning environment.

And I stand by what I've said. :)

You sound like a reasonable person! I did not mean to be rude :mad: or anything but I thought that you folks were mouthing off subjective opinions without any 'hard' or objective information to back it up. I guess that we are all entitled to our opinions, right or wrong! Now, back to basics. How do I change 'making mom proud' to something else? Any ideas, Erin?

Erin
07-26-2005, 11:57 PM
You should have said that you do not know enough about it or should have done some research before you ventured your 'opinions'.Again, none of what I wrote was stated as fact; I expressed my beliefs and opinions based on the information from the website. Much of the copy is spammy, and this site has engaged in shady techniques in the past (duplicate content across sites, interlinking, misleading domain names, etc.). I would love to be able to do more research than this, but I simply don't have the time to check out every test prep course or book on the Internet. Would you have me take the class? That's not really feasible. If there are others who've taken the class, then by all means, speak up.

But I should ask you the same:

If you mean business, go with MLICETS. Forget about Veritas or Kaplan or PR.Were you to adhere to your own purported standards, how could you make the sort of claim about these three companies that you believe we are making about your course if you haven't taken the courses from these three competitors? I'm assuming that you haven't in fact taken all four GMAT prep courses, but if this assumption is incorrect, please enlighten us with a comparison of the four. I'm sure others would be interested, and I for one would value the input as there are relatively few people who go on to take another course after completing one.

You claim that you are not a know-it-all but you sure love to sound like one, don't you? I suppose this would be in the ear of the beholder, so I can't really agree or disagree. But after fifteen years of teaching and seven of running a website, I do honestly believe that I can claim a worthy level of expertise in a number of things, including test prep and websites.

You sound like a reasonable person! I did not mean to be rude :mad: or anything but I thought that you folks were mouthing off subjective opinions without any 'hard' or objective information to back it up. I guess that we are all entitled to our opinions, right or wrong! Now, back to basics. How do I change 'making mom proud' to something else? Any ideas, Erin?The vast majority of us here are not just reasonable, but polite, intelligent, and rational as well. Trust me, I'd be happy as a clam to chalk this up to a misunderstanding and get on with my day's work.

And to answer your question, I would like to point you to our existing post about changing "making mom proud" (http://www.urch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21861). ;)

800ForSure
07-27-2005, 01:39 AM
Wow GMATWIZARD...:tup: .

Dude..I really must appreciate that you could make it to 710, Cos i've heard that apart from knowledge, GMAT is all about attitude. I wonder with such a 'low boiling temperature' [Wonder whether temp is a count-noun], you made it this big. The assumption is, "MLICETS" is the key" and the conclusion,
"MLICETS" not only helps you raise your score even if you are dumb but also helps you gain that score irrespective of your bad temper"

[Darn, do I sound like a badly worded, sick CR problem?? hufff.....]

You da man...Hale MLICETS.....<------IT ROCKS ]

[BTW, MLICETS..sounds like an acronym for "i'M...LICking....ETS", Please forgive my cheap way of looking at things :p ]

Some more claps for Mr Wizard...[clap] [clap] [clap]

You made ERIN write [long passages] several times in the same thread, a phenomena, most of the TMians have been missing for long.

gmatwizard
07-27-2005, 02:25 AM
Wow GMATWIZARD...:tup: .

Dude..I really must appreciate that you could make it to 710, Cos i've heard that apart from knowledge, GMAT is all about attitude. I wonder with such a 'low boiling temperature' [Wonder whether temp is a count-noun], you made it this big. The assumption is, "MLICETS" is the key" and the conclusion,
"MLICETS" not only helps you raise your score even if you are dumb but also helps you gain that score irrespective of your bad temper"

[Darn, do I sound like a badly worded, sick CR problem?? hufff.....]

You da man...Hale MLICETS.....<------IT ROCKS ]

[BTW, MLICETS..sounds like an acronym for "i'M...LICking....ETS", Please forgive my cheap way of looking at things :p ]

Some more claps for Mr Wizard...[clap] [clap] [clap]

You made ERIN write [long passages] several times in the same thread, a phenomena, most of the TMians have been missing for long.

ERIN says that "The vast majority of us here are not just reasonable, but polite, intelligent, and rational as well." You are either 'not part of the majority' or just proved her wrong.

The vast majority of us here are not just reasonable, but polite, intelligent, and rational as well. Trust me, I'd be happy as a clam to chalk this up to a misunderstanding and get on with my day's work.

And to answer your question, I would like to point you to our existing post about changing "making mom proud" (http://www.urch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21861). ;)[/QUOTE]

I can see where you are coming from, Erin. I can see that you use guarded expressions. You said that the vast 'majority' of us here are not only reasonable but also polite, intelligent, and rational. At least one forum lurker - 800FORSURE - has counted himself out of the polite majority. A silly post deserved a silly repartee.

Erin
07-27-2005, 02:36 AM
gmatwizard, do me a favor and remove the offensive parts of your post; this forum should be safe for all ages, and I cannot allow some of the stuff you've posted.

I am averse to editing, locking, and taking other such actions, but I will if necessary.

gmat168
07-27-2005, 02:45 AM
Yikes, GMATwizard. I must say you've made quite an entrance into a community.

And BTW, "repartee" implies a certain amount of wittiness. And in my mind, calling people names does not equal "witty."

gmat168
07-27-2005, 03:13 AM
Sorry to break it to you, but I'm not Indian.

Why bother editing your original post when you immediately post something like that?!

gmatwizard
07-27-2005, 03:38 AM
Yikes, GMATwizard. I must say you've made quite an entrance into a community.

And BTW, "repartee" implies a certain amount of wittiness. And in my mind, calling people names does not equal "witty."

If you want to appreciate 'wit', you need a certain level of wisdom. wise up, dude! Also, take some English lessons from Erin. "It is not witty to call people names", not 'calling people names does not EQUAL witty'.

If I understand you correctly, you can't walk on embers; nor can you do the rope-trick. Way to go, guru!

[QUOTE=800ForSure]Wow GMATWIZARD...:tup: .

[Wonder whether temp is a count-noun]QUOTE]

What do you think, you snake-charmer? It is either H-1 renewal or Grad School. Looks like 'H-1 renewal' just left town, and "grad school" just changed its name. [clap]

RandomWalk
07-27-2005, 04:12 AM
seriously dude, get yourself checked up :2cents: .

Canis Lupus
07-27-2005, 04:22 AM
im sorry admins but why isint this sod banned yet..
hey and gmatwizard i think you need some serious help man..i dunno maybe some therapy or novacaine or somethin..

next time be careful when you act like a rasicst and call people of other nationalities names man..

seriously admins why isint he banned :mad:

If you want to appreciate 'wit', you need a certain level of wisdom. wise up, dude! Also, take some English lessons from Erin. "It is not witty to call people names", not 'calling people names does not EQUAL witty'.

If I understand you correctly, you can't walk on embers; nor can you do the rope-trick. Way to go, guru!

[QUOTE=800ForSure]Wow GMATWIZARD...:tup: .

[Wonder whether temp is a count-noun]QUOTE]

What do you think, you snake-charmer? It is either H-1 renewal or Grad School. Looks like 'H-1 renewal' just left town, and "grad school" just changed its name. [clap]

800ForSure
07-27-2005, 04:33 AM
Looks like a whole lot of Indian dudes are hanging around this forum while waiting for their H-1 renewal. Can you walk on embers, bare-feet and all?

[banana] ..............

...........ROFLOL........

THEINDIANGMAT
07-27-2005, 04:38 AM
Looks like a whole lot of Indian dudes are hanging around this forum while waiting for their H-1 renewal. Can you walk on embers, bare-feet and all?

Dear Sir,

I will quote Erin" Please STOP acting like a Mr. Know it all"

One thing for sure you might know about GMAT PREP classes, you know nothing about INDIA. Will not try to enligten you on the same, cause you have already made up your mind!!!! (and all the previous posts show that you are definately not in a mood to listen)
Just want to say that may be your ideas are diffrent from others, this doesn't maker you right or others wrong and Vice versa.
So chill and move on there is more to this forum than using it as a battel field for racist view points

Good Luck for GMAT

arjmen
07-27-2005, 04:42 AM
Just because you chose the handle EINSTEIN for yourself does not make you a genius. Read my post and you will see why it is not bogus. GMAT tests logical reasoning, and by the way you sound, you will probably make 300 on the test. You are pathetic, Einstein-wanna-be!
I wonder whether choosing the handle "gmatwizard" makes one a GMAT wizard?

I scored 710 after taking the MLIC GMAT course Well, I guess that answers my question! A score of 710 maketh not one a wizard!

What do you think, you snake-charmer? I'd rather be a snake-charmer than be a snake-oil salesman mate!

I second "Canis Lupus". Can we not ban this pillock?

Nevertheless, given that a debate is a battle of wits, I must commend gmatwizard's courage in engaging in such a battle unarmed! Granted he is not faring very well but atleast he is trying very hard, limited ability notwithstanding.

Erin
07-27-2005, 07:16 AM
Okay, I think we've all had our say now. I don't want to delete this thread, because I do think there's some good information here, but I'm going to lock it so that we can all get back to the business of studying. ;)

I was out having sushi for a few hours, so I missed these last few threads. In any event, if anybody ever comes across a thread like this, please report it with the http://www.urch.com/forums/images/buttons/report.gif button.

And to those who showed restraint, thank you.