PDA

View Full Version : Is learning stats, probability, and permutations important f

mikey
03-23-2003, 10:44 PM
Hi, I am new to the forum and have read many posts in which people recommend that for the math section for the gmat that I also acquire a good statistics and probabiltiy book. Is this simply because there are questions regarding permutations and combinations, or are there also actual statistic problems in there too.

I always thought that the gmat math section only consisted of arithemetic, algebra, and geometry, all of which can be in the form of word problems or graphs etc... But was not aware that statistics was also a part of the math section.

Could someone please clarify this for me as well as any recommendations regarding this matter. thanks very much.

Einstein
03-24-2003, 11:59 PM
A statistics book will help for permutations and probability, but that's it for anything related to statistics. I'm actually going to take a statistics class for work and it should help nicely with my GMAT quant score too!

mikey
03-25-2003, 11:16 AM
I wonder if I could get away w/ just studying permutations and combinations, I always thought that the rest of the statistics would probably not be focused on.

Please correct me if i am wrong :)

Erin
03-25-2003, 05:40 PM
GMAT says that all that is necessary is a high-school level of math. I know some people like to study stats because, first, they'll need it anyway for b-school, and second, it's harder than the GMAT math. However, most people just stick to what should be on the test, i.e., what's in the OG, what's in the practice guides, and relatively (relative to full-blown stats) simple practice questions.

mikey
03-25-2003, 08:11 PM
thanks Erin, exactly what i needed to know

Oh and thanks for making the title of my post more clear, thats what i was trying to ask. :-)

Erin
03-25-2003, 08:49 PM
Just trying to keep all posts as simple/helpful as possible for other folks coming to visit. :)