PDA

View Full Version : How to memorize Prefixes and word roots?

nima
03-28-2003, 04:41 PM
Can someone tell me how to memorise prefixes and word roots.
I can't seem to relate the roots and prefixes with the actual words for example the prefix 'AB', which means 'from' or 'away', how does it form the meaning of the word Abdicate, abhor, abject etc.

Abdicate means give up or relinquish.
Abhor to hate.
Abject means utterly hopeless.

All kinds of ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Vinay
03-28-2003, 05:07 PM
Hi nima,

knowing only prefix will not help unless and until u know the meaning of root to which it is attached.

for example ABJECT: formed using AB meaning "away" and JECT formed thru latin verbs jactare & jacere meaning "Thrown".

Combine them nd u get "Thrown away",u can say a person thrown away frm life of others lacks self-respect and is thus hopeless.

So u need to know both prefix and root to come out with meaning of a word.

Hope it helps...

Vinay

philipskaren
03-28-2003, 06:00 PM
hey vinay,
so r u memorising the meaning of roots & prefixes.isn't it tough [xx(]coz wordlist itself is so exhaustive & then the roots & prefixes
what method r u using for the vocab..

nima
03-28-2003, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the information Vinay!

Vinay
03-30-2003, 06:49 PM
ur Welcome nima :-)

Erin
03-30-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by nima

Can someone tell me how to memorise prefixes and word roots.
I can't seem to relate the roots and prefixes with the actual words for example the prefix 'AB', which means 'from' or 'away', how does it form the meaning of the word Abdicate, abhor, abject etc.
Abdicate means give up or relinquish.
I have always thought it was important or at least helpful to envision words and their etymologies to try to better understand and remember them.

For example, if ab means away and -dicate is related to speaking (diction, dictionary, dictate, etc.), I don't think it's a great stretch to say that abdicate means to proclaim or announce that you are stepping down from your position.

At least that's how I think about things. :)

Vinay
03-30-2003, 07:47 PM
Hi Philipskaren,

Yea I know wordlists r very tough but they r essential.

I do wordlist according to the starting letters like A,B and so on.
This way I can even jump around among wordlists according to their importance.

Like words frm A,B,C,D,E,L,M,P,R,S,V r very common so I devote most of time learning words starting frm these letters.

Also I use various softwares like Vocab wizard,voctutor,study wizard and Guru's wordlist and concentrate on different letters on these softwares, this way I m able to learn many more words per day.

I also read Norman Lewis book and Rosenblum book.These books provide me insights abt the prefix,suffix and roots of words.

Hope it helps :-)

What abt u? What techniques r u using?

Vinay

philipskaren
03-30-2003, 09:22 PM
hey vinay,
actually i 've completed wordlist once .now i am revising & using softwares like number2.com, wordsmart & any other material on which i can lay my hands on.but i am not studying any roots . that's why i was so concerned abt it .

could u please lemme know the sites of the softwares u r using. i only know abt guru's s/w

Vinay
03-30-2003, 10:38 PM
Hi philipskaren,

gr8 if u have finished the wordlists coz they r cozing a lot of problems to me.
I m working hard but i dont know when I will finish these lists.

As far as softwares r concerned, u can visit this site http://www.uoregon.edu/~osmirnov/gre/software.html

this site has a lot of softwares.I downloaded most of them but found only the 4 useful tht i wrote in the previous post.But u can try others too, may be u like them.

Also I want to ask how many days it took u to finish all the wordlists.
I have completed 20 and want to finish the rest in next 10-15 days.

Vinay

philipskaren
03-31-2003, 12:34 PM
hi vinay,
your speed is good. i completed mine in abt 60 days .but the problem is after completing it there was a gap of abt 40 days which rendered it useless coz now i feel i've forgotten most of them. so ,always keep in touch with the wordlist lest u 'd forget it.for practice of other things like RC ,SC etc which material r u using ??

Vinay
03-31-2003, 08:46 PM
hi philpskaren,

yup u r right once left for even a week these words start goin off frm ur mind.
but its difficult to keep abreast with all of them.

for SC & RC i m using barron's,arco,peterson's,Big book and some files downloaded frm chinese sites.

SC is merely vocab game & since I m not thru with the lists yet so its kinda difficult to answer them correctly.
My success rate in SC is 2/5 at this stage :-(

wht stuff r u using?

One more thing r using KAPLAN book for GRE prep.Is it sumthin extraordinary?
coz I went to market yesterday to buy KAPLAN book & it wasnt available.Not even second hand or third hand or photocopy.Each and every copy is sold out in my city.

Vinay

philipskaren
04-01-2003, 12:49 PM
hi vinay
i am using the same books except big book & chinese sites . are the later two sources useful .please lemme know.how much did u get big book for ,here it's v.expensive. $85 , the cheapest .
as regards kaplan, i have used only the math workbook of kaplan .if u 'r maths is good then u'r all set as it;s basic & easy.b

Vinay
04-03-2003, 03:58 PM
hi philipskaren,

thnx for the info :-)

I got big book for rs 600 thts sumwhr between $12 - $13, its not second hand but multiple hand :-D
Big book is good for verbal section, maths is quite easy. Infact tests in Official guide r taken frm big book.
Chinese sites r okay, the answers r sumtimes hard to find but questions r good and mostly touted as real GRE questions.

Do u have kaplan CD, if yes then wht is the version of software. I have kaplan higher score CD VERSION 3.0 but i think latest one is 5.0.

Vinay

philipskaren
04-03-2003, 05:40 PM
hi vinay,
i don't have kaplan CD .anyways thanks for the info.

Vinay
04-04-2003, 06:58 AM
u r welcome :-)