PDA

View Full Version : How to study for the verbal section of GRE?

pb
03-28-2003, 07:18 PM
How to study for the verbal section.How to memorise all the words in the wordlists(say for example Barron).Thanks for help

ss6872
03-28-2003, 08:00 PM
If you have plenty of time to go before the test, then you can take 5-10 words a day and learn them. The best way is to learn them in a context, for example use them in as many sentences as possible, make your own sentences with them. Or relate the meaning to something or someone you know, so whenever you hear the word, the picture of that thing or person will come to your mind and the meaning will automatically flash in your mind.
After you have done about 50 words, test yourself or ask some one to give you a test on the words that you have already done.Keep revising the words you did the previous day until you can come up with the meaning as soon as you see the word.
Once you have reached this stage, go for a new set of words and do the same with this set.
It is painstaking, especially if you do not have a good base level of vocabulary to start with. But with proper planning and focus, you can achieve your target in the set time limit.

pb
03-30-2003, 05:08 AM
Thanks Vidu.
But how to do it ,if I have GRE in july.

ss6872
03-30-2003, 02:51 PM
You still have a full 3 months. If you start going thru the world list you will see that you know atleast some of the words already, and some you might have already heard somewhere, so these are easy to learn.
The rest you would just have to take 30-40 instead of 5-10 words a day.
I found that making flash cards , in the beginning was helpful. You can look up the flash cards any time, even if you are doing something else. I did about 400 words with flash cards. When i got comfortable with the process of learning words, i just did all the words from 2-3 alphabets a day, and next day i would take a test on all those words, this way i could do all the words from about 6-7 (average) alphabets a week. Finally, I downloaded guru's word list tests, and that gave me good revision on the words that i had already done, while adding some new words (that are not in the baron's) to my vocabulary.
Good luck, it is a huge task but with perseverance, you can complete it.