PDA

View Full Version : Test on May 8th - Need help on Prep

varkir
04-17-2003, 10:52 AM
Hi All,

I have my test on May 8th, and I'm up with around 40 wordlists.
But the problem is i still hover around the higher 500s and lower 600s.
I wish to get that figure of 700.

I have gone through Amingro's post but then can anyone help me out with the schedule I need to follow up once i finish with the word lists??

Thanx and regards,

Kiran

Psyoutlaw
04-17-2003, 05:01 PM
Are you only studying the WordLists? What areas are you weak in, sentence completion, analogies, antonyms, or the reading passage?

varkir
04-18-2003, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Psyoutlaw

Are you only studying the WordLists? What areas are you weak in, sentence completion, analogies, antonyms, or the reading passage?

I have been solving Bigbook....The problem is mainly with RCs and sometimes analogies.

ramya_shankar
04-21-2003, 12:05 AM
varkir,
tell me about it..
i am not crossing 630 in vebal either in verbal from the big book. the rcs are really time consuming and hard. iwonder if its goin to be the same on the final day! analogies are quite tricky too..
good luck anyway!

xaero
04-21-2003, 12:57 AM
Having worked from the Big Book for GRE, I would say that it is not quite a standard study book anymore, since the pattern in the Verbal section of the current GRE differs from that in the Big Book. I presume you may use the book just for practicing and not take the tests too seriously. Rather, the standard tests (Computer Adaptive ones) in the Kaplan and Princeton CDs that are available everywhere (in India and especially Bangalore - for ramya_shankar) would be the best bet. And finally, I strongly feel that the Powerprep tests are the best of all and they give an exact estimate of your capabilities.

Good Luck.

varkir
04-21-2003, 02:01 AM
Yes i guess you are right xaero, But then could any one please let me know the number of RCs that usually appear? I was perturbed the other day hear to one of my friends saying that it can sometimes be even 4!! Is it true? RCs do give some tough time!!

xaero
04-21-2003, 11:50 AM
Facing 4 RCs in the GRE is quite possible(very rarely however), although among them atleast 3 would be 'smaller' ones and one 'bigger' RC. As trends go, the 'smaller' passages usually range from 30 to 40 lines and the 'bigger' ones maybe about 80-100 lines. Most of the test takers face 3 RCs with 2 small stories and one big passage.

nima
04-21-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by xaero

Having worked from the Big Book for GRE, I would say that it is not quite a standard study book anymore, since the pattern in the Verbal section of the current GRE differs from that in the Big Book. I presume you may use the book just for practicing and not take the tests too seriously. Rather, the standard tests (Computer Adaptive ones) in the Kaplan and Princeton CDs that are available everywhere (in India and especially Bangalore - for ramya_shankar) would be the best bet. And finally, I strongly feel that the Powerprep tests are the best of all and they give an exact estimate of your capabilities.

Good Luck.

How is the verbal in the big book differant from real GRE. Are the RCs in the big book comparable to the ones you find in the real GRE.

xaero
04-22-2003, 12:43 AM
Since the Big Book was compiled several years ago, some of the antonym and sentence completion questions in it are not exactly of the same difficulty as those appearing in the actual GRE. RCs however tend to remain similar, although I came across some pretty simple passages that are quite unlike those in the GRE. But the Big Book indeed provides a comprehensive coverage of questions and can be quite helpful

varkir
04-22-2003, 06:16 AM
Is there a better study material apart from b'g book? I have 15 more days for my exam!! can any one tell me how i could chalk my shcedule and what i should be doing these 15days considering the fact that i have exhausted the big book! and will be taking one CBT a day from different soucses i.e kaplan,princeton..... but then apart from that what else can i practice on?

peterman
05-01-2003, 01:07 AM
look for free tests online that you can take. there's one on review.com, but i don't know if it's one of the ones you already have in the CD. i think number2.com also has some free online prep, not sure if it's a full test or just practice questions, but worth a look.