PDA

View Full Version : I have the ETS GRE big book

mnimr
05-03-2002, 09:26 PM
I have the ETS GRE big book is it outdated? it is a copyright of 1996

Erin
05-13-2002, 12:09 AM
That's a great book! Some questions are outdated, but most of them are very useful.

Here's the review I've written about this book:

ETS was in a good mood when they released this book to the public.

Like all official materials, this book is unbeatable for quality of questions. None of the other practice books can come close to the quality of questions you will find in this book.

This book contains 27 actual, full tests which were administered in the past. This is more than most people would ever need to practice. However, this book contains NO explanations or strategies--it's pure practice. If you need strategies or explanations, you will have to look elsewhere.

Finally, some of these tests were given years ago. Like all the other tests, the GRE has evolved and some of the question types that you will see in this book will not be on your tests. For example, the real GRE reading passages are actually pretty long (four or five paragraphs) even though some of the passages in the book are quite short (one paragraph). Moreover, students who can score in the 90 %ile on the math section will find the math in the book too easy.

All in all, you can beat the value. This book is the bible of GRE test prep.

neetu08
06-06-2002, 02:21 PM
Hi,
could u tell me from where i can get this big book?
neetu

raghuveer_v
06-06-2002, 03:32 PM
Hi Neetu,

It depends on where you live. Any big city in India has large bookshops which house this. But, you can get copies of the same elsewhere for less.

If you really don't care about the price, you can buy it from such big shops. or you can buy it from some online bookstore like www.amazon.com.

Which city are you from? one of your local friends might be able to direct you to a better place to look for good deals.

Raghuveer.

Erin
06-07-2002, 06:10 AM
This book is exceedingly difficult to find. I've seen copies sell for $200 on eBay and other places.

If you go here

Reviews of Test Prep Books (http://www.TestMagic.com/Knowledge_Base/book_recommendations.htm#gre)

you will see a link to search for it used on half.com.

raghuveer_v
06-07-2002, 12:02 PM
Erin,

This book is exceedingly difficult to find. I've seen copies sell for $200 on eBay and other places.

I will tell you the story from my perspective here ...

I am neither supporting copyrights violations nor mocking the people here. Just to give you the facts ...

Every student here preparing for the GRE, practices the Big Book. 99% of them do not buy it from ETS. How do they do it ....?

Copies of the Big Book are avaliable in road-side book stalls, for as less as Rs.200 (Rupees, not Dollars). That comes to around 4$.

Who would buy *the original* Big Book when they can get the same thing for a fraction of the price?

Who would buy *the original* Microsoft Windows 98 when they can get a CD of the same for, say 2$.

Who?

Any social reformers around?

Raghuveer.

Sieger
03-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Hi,
:) I am not commenting upon the ethics and copyright. But my doubt is whether the 'Big Book' is reallly worth the hype it has been creating? I know many who got excellent scores without even having seen the 'Big book', basically because they were not able to find it in our hometown. But that has not stopped my friends from getting good marks.
It is said that 400,000 students take the GRE test every year. In all these years, if a book which contains an unchanged set of 28 tests serves to be an all inclusive panacea to the GRE General test, does it sound credible? There can be no gainsaying that one does not get any questions from the 'Big Book'. It can only give an idea that we might get a feel of the nature/tenor of the questions. Nothing more than that. I went through the book that contians only ten tests of that present in big book(ETS Practice Book 10th Edn). And that is the impression I got. For example, Quant is a lot more tougher in Real GRE when compared to Big Book. The same applies to the diversity of the RC, and other Verbal test areas.
For those who may have been unfortunate like me in not getting the Big Book, I suggest we stop living in a fool's paradise. Let us do something realistic insead of searching for the illusive pot of gold at the horizon.;)