PDA

View Full Version : Toefl in different countries

Kate
05-04-2002, 07:47 AM
Hello!
I am from Russia.
I am going to take Toefl in Moscow.
But one thing bothers me very much. I have heard that If one takes Toefl in the USA it is much easier for him or her to get a good score in comparison with the person who takes this test in another country. May be it is only a gossip, but when I was in the USA last summer and studied at school, many people, who studied at lower level than I did, took Toefl and got the same score I get now in Moscow.
Another example, I have known a man who tried to pass Toefl in Moscow several times and got only 213-220, but when he came to the USA and took Toefl there, he got 270...Funny?
Is it possible? What do you think?

Thanks.

Erin
05-05-2002, 12:07 AM
Hi, Kate. Welcome to TestMagic.com. I hope you like it here.

You raise an interesting question, one that people have asked about, but one that I've never actually heard as a rumor. I do know, however, that once rumors get started, it's hard to dispel them.

TOEFL, I'm sure, would claim that it doesn't matter where you took the test, that it'd be exactly the same no matter where you took it.

Two interesting points to think about:

First, many of my students say that they can get a higher score if the test center is more comfortable and quieter. Some of the test centers here in and around San Francisco are/were quite noisy or otherwise disruptive, and students familiar with these centers try to avoid them if they can.

Second, is it possible that friends who come to the US are able to raise their TOEFL scores more quickly simply because they are immersed in the English language when they come here?

But the bottom line is--if anything helps you to get a higher score, do it!!

HTH!! (Hope that helps!!)

Erin

zahid
05-05-2002, 09:29 AM
hi kate,

at first my PRI-VET. i lived in moscow 11 years and studied in electrical engineering at moscow power engineering institute. first one year of my studies i had to study only russian language. i remember how i fast knew to speak, read and write russian language and it took only three months. i think it was possible because i learned russian in russia. in the same way learning english in the english speaking counties is more easier than in any where. i had toefl two times. read my other posts here in test magic discussion forum. i feel moscow and miss SPARTAK, CSKA, DYNAMO, my institute and my friends. bye. HAVE A GOOD SCORE.

zahid

Hello!
I am from Russia.
I am going to take Toefl in Moscow.
But one thing bothers me very much. I have heard that If one takes Toefl in the USA it is much easier for him or her to get a good score in comparison with the person who takes this test in another country. May be it is only a gossip, but when I was in the USA last summer and studied at school, many people, who studied at lower level than I did, took Toefl and got the same score I get now in Moscow.
Another example, I have known a man who tried to pass Toefl in Moscow several times and got only 213-220, but when he came to the USA and took Toefl there, he got 270...Funny?
Is it possible? What do you think?

Thanks.

Kate
05-05-2002, 10:05 AM
Thank you Erin.
I hoped that it was not true.
I will take Toefl tomorrow and I think that everything will be fine. Frankly speaking it will be my second attempt and I believe I'll do it better.
Zahid, it's great that you studied in Moscow and learned Russian so quickly. I suppose that this language is much harder than English.
Of course I agree with you that it is much easier to learn English in USA. I know it from my own experience, but I can't get more than 220 on Toefl:((. But If I can't manage it tomorrow I will try again and again - something like "never give up" :)

so, wish me luck:)...Bye

Erin
05-05-2002, 07:30 PM
But If I can't manage it tomorrow I will try again and again - something like "never give up" :)

so, wish me luck:)...Bye

Good luck tomorrow! If you have the time, please let us know how you did, your scores, comments, feedback, etc. It'd be very, very helpful for all of us!!

HTH!!

Kate
05-07-2002, 11:30 AM
Hi,
I did it and managed much better than first time:)
Listening - 24
Structure - 10-28
Reading - 24
My score ranges 193-253. But I wanted to get 250. I don't think that my essay will be more than 4,5 (like first time). So, I suspect my score will be about 243 - it is awful , only 7 points. But I sent this score to the university, I want to enter. Maybe they won't admit me to the program I want, and admit me to one where toefl score can be lower. So, now I keep my fingers cross :)

Thank you, and wish me luck...buy

Erin
05-09-2002, 11:28 PM
Hi,
I did it and managed much better than first time:)
Listening - 24
Structure - 10-28
Reading - 24
My score ranges 193-253. But I wanted to get 250. I don't think that my essay will be more than 4,5 (like first time). So, I suspect my score will be about 243 - it is awful , only 7 points.

Well, if your score went up the second time, it might also go up the next time! Anyway, it's up to you, Kate.

Good luck, Kate! Drop in sometime to say 'hi' and let us know where you're studying!

Erin