PDA

View Full Version : Missing applying for SATII

knok
11-02-2005, 05:41 PM
My son missed to apply for SATII for December test. I read application details of Washington University later that two subject tests of SATII are recommended but not required. What should we do? Also, it seems that December test date is the final test that universities will consider.

At first, I thought that universities in Midwest did not require SATII at all. I have no experience in applying for schools at undergraduate level here. Also, I read through UC schools, it seems that they all require subject tests of SATII. Am I correct? Since we are in the Midwest and he is not a CA resident, I know from my cousin who lives in CA that a non-resident needs to do a very higher mark than a CA resident to get into UC system anyway. He went to UCLA (30 years ago). So we skip to apply UCLA. My son talks to his college counselor, she said that only UCLA required subject tests. How about UC-Irvine and San Diego? Do they require subject tests?

What should we do to compensate this? Or should we skip to apply for UC system at all?

Knok

babypurin
11-03-2005, 12:21 AM
All University of California (UC) schools require Subject Tests - so no luck there; especially if your are an out-of-state resident.

Remember that Washington University in St. Louis is an extremely competitive school to get into so if your son is deficient in an area (GPA, SAT, EC's,...) it could benefit him if he took some SATII's.

Remember, your son could always take the SATII's by being a standby taker.

Some colleges also waive the SATII requirement if one submits the ACT (Yale, Upenn, Tufts,...)-- although, the UC system unfourtantely is one of the places that does not do that.

shuttupjessmah
11-04-2005, 05:23 AM
My son missed to apply for SATII for December test. I read application details of Washington University later that two subject tests of SATII are recommended but not required. What should we do? Also, it seems that December test date is the final test that universities will consider.

My son talks to his college counselor, she said that only UCLA required subject tests. How about UC-Irvine and San Diego? Do they require subject tests?

What should we do to compensate this? Or should we skip to apply for UC system at all?

KnokAny way to pay the late fee and still take the SAT? All of the UCs require two SAT IIs. UCSD is one of the harder UCs to get into, and only about 10% of the people who go to the UCs are from out of state, so your son had better have stellar statistics, GPA and test score-wise.

My best advice to you is to try to take the December SAT as a standby or pay the late fee. That way, you can get your tests in. Otherwise, you have no hopes of making the easy UCs like Merced and Riverside. Good luck.

knok
11-04-2005, 10:32 PM
Thank you for the replies. However, when he tried to apply, there was no button to click to apply for late registration. Maybe, we'll skip UCs.

shuttupjessmah
11-05-2005, 04:35 AM
Thank you for the replies. However, when he tried to apply, there was no button to click to apply for late registration. Maybe, we'll skip UCs.You just have to start to register for the SAT normally. Do the first step exactly the same. When you get to the second step, you can choose the radio button to sign up for the December SAT late. Then just go along with the registration that way. I hope that helps.

knok
11-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Thank you. I just called Washington University. It is okay not to take SATII. The college counselor told me that a not very good SAT II score may post a question to the committee. His grade is not that bad though. It may be too late to prepare both SAT I and SAT II together and do well for both anyway. We will stick to Midwest Universities anyhow. :)

babypurin
11-07-2005, 07:53 PM
Thank you. I just called Washington University. It is okay not to take SATII. The college counselor told me that a not very good SAT II score may post a question to the committee. His grade is not that bad though. It may be too late to prepare both SAT I and SAT II together and do well for both anyway. We will stick to Midwest Universities anyhow. :)

Remember that if your son did well on the ACT he could always submit it instead of the SAT I and SATII's - although there are a few colleges (including the UC system) that only accept ACT instead of SAT I and not SATII's.

knok
11-08-2005, 01:24 AM
Yeah!.

Do we need to put SAT scores and test dates? His ACT is a lot better than SAT. However, should we put the future SAT testdate on applications when they ask for both SAT and ACT? It says either SAT or ACT. We don't know the future ACT and SAT scores. We have to submit the applications before we know the scores. Ot should we put everything and let them decide.

Knok

HiLine
11-08-2005, 07:25 AM
If you don't have scores to submit yet,just leave that section blank.It should also be smart to notice the adcom just as you know the score.