PDA

View Full Version : Vocab you wont find in Barron's

Tania
05-03-2003, 01:26 AM
Folks,

here are a few words that ii came acros while solving tests.
these words are not present in the Barrons's book i have,
Does the newest Edition of barrons have more word lists?
IT would be extremely helpful to all TMians
if everyone posts new words that they come across and that arent in Barron's

Right now i am at my wits end trying to cope with this new deluge of new words.
And it is so difficult to find new words that have never been seen before on Barron's
Sometimes, Barron's simply aint enuff

a·ceph·a·lous
adj.
Biology. Headless or lacking a clearly defined head: acephalous worms.
Having no leader.

af·fla·tus
n.
A strong creative impulse, especially as a result of divine inspiration.

aus·cul·ta·tion
n.
The act of listening.
Medicine. The act of listening for sounds made by internal organs, as the heart and lungs, to aid in the diagnosis of certain disorders.

ap·o·plex·y
n.
Sudden impairment of neurological function, especially that resulting from a cerebral hemorrhage; a stroke.
A sudden effusion of blood into an organ or tissue.
A fit of extreme anger; rage: “The proud... members suffered collective apoplexy, and this year they are out for blood” (David Finch).

and·i·ron
n.
One of a pair of metal supports used for holding up logs in a fireplace. Also called dog, also called regionally dog iron, firedog.

as·sev·er·ate
tr.v. as·sev·er·at·ed, as·sev·er·at·ing, as·sev·er·ates
To declare seriously or positively; affirm.

bra·zier2 also bra·sier
n.
A metal pan for holding burning coals or charcoal.
A cooking device consisting of a charcoal or electric heating source over which food is grilled

bre·vi·ar·y
n. Ecclesiastical pl. bre·vi·ar·ies
A book containing the hymns, offices, and prayers for the canonical hours.

bus·kin
n.
A foot and leg covering reaching halfway to the knee, resembling a laced half boot.
A thick-soled laced half boot worn by actors of Greek and Roman tragedies.
Tragedy, especially that which resembles a Greek tragedy.

me·sa
n.
A broad, flat-topped elevation with one or more clifflike sides, common in the southwest United States.

me·ter
n.
The measured arrangement of words in poetry, as by accentual rhythm, syllabic quantity, or the number of syllables in a line.
A particular arrangement of words in poetry, such as iambic pentameter, determined by the kind and number of metrical units in a line.
The rhythmic pattern of a stanza, determined by the kind and number of lines.

mis·ceg·e·na·tion
n.
The interbreeding of different races or of persons of different racial backgrounds.
Cohabitation, sexual relations, or marriage involving persons of different races.
A mixture or hybridization: “There was musical miscegenation at a time when segregation was the common rule” (Don McLeese).

tat·ter·de·mal·ion
n.
A person wearing ragged or tattered clothing; a ragamuffin.

triptych
Trip"tych, n. [Gr. ? consisting of three layers or plates; ? (see Tri-) + ?, ?, a fold, layer.] Anything in three parts or leaves. Specifically: (a) A writing tablet in three parts, two of which fold over on the middle part. (b) A picture or altarpiece in three compartments.

val·e·tu·di·nar·i·an
n.
A sickly or weak person, especially one who is constantly and morbidly concerned with his or her health: “She affected to be spunky about her ailments and afflictions, but she was in fact an utterly self-centered valetudinarian” (Louis Auchincloss).

val·ance
n.
An ornamental drapery hung across a top edge, as of a bed, table, or canopy.
A short drapery, decorative board, or metal strip mounted especially across the top of a window to conceal structural fixtures.

vel·lum
n.
A fine parchment made from calfskin, lambskin, or kidskin and used for the pages and binding of books.
A work written or printed on this parchment.
A heavy off-white fine-quality paper resembling this parchment.

vi·ra·go
n. pl. vi·ra·goes or vi·ra·gos
A woman regarded as noisy, scolding, or domineering.
A large, strong, courageous woman.

vo·ta·ry
n. pl. vo·ta·ries
A person bound by vows to live a life of religious worship or service.
A devout adherent of a cult or religion; a committed worshiper: the votaries of Aphrodite.
A person who is fervently devoted, as to a leader or ideal; a faithful follower.
A person who is filled with enthusiasm, as for a pursuit or hobby; an enthusiast.

wel·kin
n. Archaic
The vault of heaven; the sky.
The upper air.

Vinay
05-03-2003, 06:30 AM
good list but barrons's itself is hard to digest.

u eat words one day and vomit sumtime l8r.

seems like I m turning into a bilious person.
:-((((((((

Moizza
05-03-2003, 06:35 AM
It is really very nice of you to help others. I didn't know abt any of those words. Just wanted to thank you for the trouble you have taken for others.

vadi
05-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Hi tania...
i have been smelling the same fish too.
I'm suspicious that Barons et all pick words from past GREs. So when we test on them....

I get shivers when i think of verbal section, especially antonyms.