PDA

View Full Version : For Madurah

veronica1dse
05-13-2003, 10:06 PM
Hi Madurah:

In your notes you say us there are a lot of language from native-english speaker, and you give us an example: way you go man...........
Please could you try to give me more examples, .........I am going to take toefl in one week and I am not a native-english speaker.
Thanks so much
Veronica

Sri
05-13-2003, 10:32 PM
If u r a fast reader, try to grab one of the fiction novels by Sidney Sheldon or Robin Cook or Jeffrey Archer and keep reading it during ur breaks between ur prep schedule and while reading make sure that u look for the so called "Americanisms". Like, The "toilet" in British English is equivalent to the "Restroom" in American English and etc....U tend to use them colloquially, but, I doubt if anyone can give u a list of all such phrases.....

BTW, I said fiction novels bcoz they r refreshing than a boring science book or some thing of that sort.....

Good Luck on ur test
-Sri.

Madhura
05-15-2003, 01:57 AM
Hi Veronica,

As Sri very rightly says the best way to learn the colloquial phrases and expressions is to watch American movies and serials. As such I cannot give you a list of such phrases however I could try. Here are some of them:

1) "I am beat" meaning "I am really tired".
2) "I hear you" meaning "I understand you"
3) "Hit the books" meaning "Study really hard"
4) "Its no big deal" meaning "Its not really that important"

Well these are some of them. I do hope they help you. All the very best for the test Veronica, I am sure you will do well. Be confident, that really helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Madhura