PDA

View Full Version : Should I handwrite or type my TOEFL essay?

raghuveer_v
05-21-2002, 04:02 PM
Hello Erin,

I need your guidance in choosing whether to Handwrite or Type my TOEFL essay.

I have been using a PC at home since a long time. so, I have no difficulty in typing.

Though I am not a touchtypist, I can type reasonably well.
Faster enough, not to obstruct the free flow of thought.

But I fear, I might do some thing terrible (like "cut"ting the whole thing i've typed). There is no such danger with handwriting.

By the way, my handwriting is not too bad.

Also, if we donot click "confirm Answer" by the time the time expires, is it that no answer will be recorded and we will get a zero score?

that will be disastrous!

almost all of my friends go with handwriting, without even giving a second thought.

what do you say Erin?

Raghuveer.

Erin
05-22-2002, 10:43 PM
Sounds like you should handwrite since your handwriting is neat. The bottom line is that you should choose the way that will get you the highest score, right?

Anyway, here's some info from my various writings:

<body lang=EN-US class="Normal" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
<h5><a name="_Toc530988133">Type or handwrite?</a></h5>

There is no doubt that you should type your essay, but the bottom line is this:
You need to write your essay in the way that will give you the highest score. If your typing is really slow, you won’t be able to write an essay quickly enough.
On the other hand, if your handwriting is really messy, you should try to type your essay.</p>

Let’s look at the pros and cons of typing and handwriting.</p>
<p class=FAQ>What are the advantages of typing my essay?</p>
<p class=FAQAnswer><span style='background:yellow;'>Short answer: Many.</span></p>
<p class=FAQAnswer>There are many. First of all, many people can type faster than they can handwrite.</p>
<p class=FAQAnswer>Second, it is easier to correct your essay using ‘cut’ and ‘paste’ functions while you are typing.</p>
<p class=FAQAnswer>Third, it is easier for the essay reader to read your essay if you type it.</p>
<p class=FAQAnswer>Fourth, you will receive your official TOEFL score about three weeks sooner if you type your essay.</p>
<p class=FAQ>What are the disadvantages of handwriting my essay?</p>
<p class=FAQAnswer><span style='background:yellow;'>Short answer: Many.</span></p>
<p class=FAQAnswer>There are several. First of all, many people have messy handwriting, which can make it difficult for the essay reader to read your essay. Remember, your score will be determined by a human. Humans are not machines; if the scorer is not sure whether to give you a higher or a lower score, s/he will be more likely to give you a lower score if your handwriting is messy.</p>
<p class=FAQAnswer>Second, your TOEFL score will take about three weeks longer to arrive if you handwrite your essay. Third, TOEFL sometimes loses essays that
are written on paper.</p>
</body>

HTH!!

Erin

Please post further questions here.

Please search this newsgroup for FAQs.

TestMagic.com
San Francisco, CA USA

raghuveer_v
05-23-2002, 03:48 AM
Thanks Erin,

But you left one question unanswered ...

"Will I get a score of Zero, If somehow, I fail to Click on 'confirm answer' before the time expires? - say I was thinking of a nice way to conclude the essay, and lose track of the time."

:question:

Raghuveer.

Erin
05-23-2002, 05:11 AM
Thanks Erin,

But you left one question unanswered ...

"Will I get a score of Zero, If somehow, I fail to Click on 'confirm answer' before the time expires? - say I was thinking of a nice way to conclude the essay, and lose track of the time."

:question:

Raghuveer.

Oh, yeah, sorry about. You know, a lot of people have asked that question because they actually did that on the test, but so far, nobody has posted back to let us know what really happened.

On the PowerPrep, if you don't press Next/Confirm, your essay is still saved, so I have to assume that the same will happen on the real test, as TOEFL makes a big deal about the PowerPrep being the same as the real test. If it weren't, people could have cause to complain!!

HTH!!

Erin

Please post further questions here.

Please search this newsgroup for FAQs.

TestMagic.com
San Francisco, CA USA

raghuveer_v
06-25-2002, 07:53 AM
I am back to square one, Erin.

I wondered why you advised I should "handwrite" even though you pointed out so many advantages on the contrary.

And not only that, while I was writing essays these days, I am having to shift and shuffle my scentences a bit. That would leave my "handwritten" essay ugly, while leaving no trace on the "typed" one.

So the tile of this topic:
"Should I handwrite or type my TOEFL essay?"

:)

Raghuveer

arti
06-30-2002, 12:21 PM
My suggestion.......YOU TYPE YOUR ESSAY.
Just be careful to press the CONFIRM ANSWER button.
and don't worry you will get used to pressing the button by the time u reach the essay section.

just be cool
and ALL THE BEST.

Arti Gupta

madhavi
06-30-2002, 12:37 PM
Hi
You try to type an essay just as you write in the actual test.
With the time limit.
Without preparation before you type.
If you don't forget what you wanted to write(type) you may type the essay.
But if you get confused and forget all the ideas you try to check once more.

best of luck
I have decided to type and practising for it.
madhavi

raghuveer_v
06-30-2002, 12:58 PM
Thanks friends, for your advice.

I tried typing in PowerPrep today and I found it comfortable enough. I could complete an essay in less than 30 minutes...

http://www.TestMagic.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=738

I think I'll probably type it.

Thanks again!

Raghuveer.

Erin
06-30-2002, 06:09 PM
I wondered why you advised I should "handwrite" even though you pointed out so many advantages on the contrary.
The bottom line is that we should always do it the way that will get us the highest score. Back then, from what you told me, it sounded like you should have (then) handwritten your essay. Just imagine if somebody tries to type her essay, but is a little slow or uncomfortable and has some problem, such as not being able to finish the essay or whatever; that would be terrible, don't you think.

However, you've come through "like a trooper" (idiom--reliable, capable person), and it seems that you've overcome any keyboard barriers, so my recommendation today is that you should type your essay!!

Erin

raghuveer_v
07-01-2002, 07:50 AM
Thanks Erin,

I've always believed I can type my essay (At the same time, had some doubts at the back of my mind).

I just needed your "green signal". And I got it.

Raghuveer.

Edited by - raghuveer_v on 2002 Jul 01 03:28:16

asad100
12-29-2002, 09:48 PM
Wow! Yo people just figured out my confusion and I have just decided I had better write my essay when it comes.

anupammalla
01-23-2003, 02:51 AM
Hi Friends,

I am really scared now [V].I scored between the range 227-280.There was one second left when I pressed on the "Confirm Next " button.
The next screen just said
"Your essay has been automatically saved"
What do you guys think?Am I doomed [|)]

Regarding typing on the computer/writing it,
I was under the impression that prefernce will be given to typed essays since mba schools are making basic computer skills mandatory and because we are moving towards an age where the ability to type will be a granted skill.What say?
Guess I am wrong :(

harbinger
01-23-2003, 02:56 AM
OH, why did you not ask some staffs at the testing center?

anupammalla
01-23-2003, 03:30 AM
Now what do I do?

Erin
01-23-2003, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by anupammalla

I am really scared now [V]. I scored between the range 227-280. There was one second left when I pressed on the "Confirm Next " button.

The next screen just said

"Your essay has been automatically saved"

What do you guys think? Am I doomed [|)]Um, if the screen says it was saved, then it was saved. No reason to worry, try to get some sleep tonight. ;) And everybody who's posted here asking "I didn't click Next / Confirm !!!" has reported back saying that their essay was saved. Sleep well!! :) [|)]

Originally posted by anupammalla

2. Regarding typing on the computer/writing it,
I was under the impression that prefernce will be given to typed essays since mba schools are making basic computer skills mandatory and because we are moving towards an age where the ability to type will be a granted skill.What say?

Guess I am wrong :(Nowhere in the score report (at least to my knowledge) does it say whether you typed or handwrote your essay, nor is there any scoring difference between the two, assuming your handwriting is okay. So, it doesn't matter--do what will get you the highest score.

anupammalla
01-23-2003, 04:00 AM
Thanks a lot Erin for consoling my poor soul :cool:
I am feeling much better now.

And also,about the part whether "To type or write the essay"

you aurely are doing a yeoman job [^]

Marmalade
02-27-2003, 10:20 AM
Hi all,
I'm unexperienced .. so please answer me, thank you very very much for your helps

1. How different is the PBT to the CBT? , what do i have to do to 'change' from PBT to CBT ? I have studied to pass the CBT before - and now to do it again with PBT ... Will my little experience (1 time in CBT) help?

2. I heard that the listening in PBT is ' easy' - how is it compared to CBT? I had the big troubles with long conversations before ...

Awaiting your kind answers .... Thank u thank u .

--------------
This's my first post

Hi Erin, all the ladies and guys here
I was so sad when the CBT-testcenter was closed in my area in May 2002 (Warsaw Poland). I took the test some months before that and typed the essay - which was very comfortable for me cuz i can type ok.
Now the only solution is to take the PBT , and study all the tricks and strategy from beginning - but how can i do with the essay ? My hand-writing is slow and ugly, but the most important is the idea planning and the sentence's composition - when we want to change it all in computer it's so easy ... i dont know how could i cope with the PBT ...
Please tell me the way to improve (morale 2) before going to the test again ( last time i scored an average score = 590 with 4 for essay).
Thank you very very much.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Best wishes to all.

Erin
02-27-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Marmalade

Hi all,
I'm unexperienced .. so please answer me, thank you very very much for your helps

1. How different is the PBT to the CBT? , what do i have to do to 'change' from PBT to CBT ? I have studied to pass the CBT before - and now to do it again with PBT ... Will my little experience (1 time in CBT) help?

2. I heard that the listening in PBT is ' easy' - how is it compared to CBT? I had the big troubles with long conversations before ...

Awaiting your kind answers .... Thank u thank u .

--------------
This's my first post

Hi Erin, all the ladies and guys here
I was so sad when the CBT-testcenter was closed in my area in May 2002 (Warsaw Poland). I took the test some months before that and typed the essay - which was very comfortable for me cuz i can type ok.
Now the only solution is to take the PBT , and study all the tricks and strategy from beginning - but how can i do with the essay ? My hand-writing is slow and ugly, but the most important is the idea planning and the sentence's composition - when we want to change it all in computer it's so easy ... i dont know how could i cope with the PBT ...
Please tell me the way to improve (morale 2) before going to the test again ( last time i scored an average score = 590 with 4 for essay).
Thank you very very much.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Best wishes to all.

Marmalade, can you please, pretty please, start a new thread for this question? It's not really related to this thread...

kwakass
04-19-2004, 12:12 PM
I'd type it any day. I'm one of those people who can type faster than they can think.

sathu
10-13-2004, 08:33 AM
Typing an essay may have some advantages but, they say when it is hand written one can map out the points and ideas and start putting them into appropriate paragraphs. Well, is it possible in CBT to first map our ideas and then develop them?Please give ur views about this.

sathu
10-13-2004, 08:37 AM
Is it possible to map out our ideas in a paper and then type down the paragraphs on the computer. If not how to shetch out our points of views before typing?Please suggest.Thank you.
sathu.