PDA

View Full Version : q reg pretest section

archu
07-05-2003, 07:22 AM
Does everyone get the pretest/reseaerch section compulsorily or do some lucky ones escape ?

xaero
07-05-2003, 11:51 AM
As far as I've heard, none can escape from the mysterious experimental section, atleast in the newer GRE pattern. ;)

Anyone else commenting on this??

archu
07-05-2003, 05:02 PM
:) Gr8 news..thanks for the info anyways.!
Cheers,
archana.

xaero
07-06-2003, 04:05 AM
Roger!

Btw, this may sound a little scary but most people I've come across had to endure 2 verbal sections and I havent come across a blessed soul who faced 2 Quant in his GRE (atleast in India).
Again, anyone to disprove that? ;)

archu
07-06-2003, 05:12 AM
U made my day roger..!! Great news -GOD BLESS ME !!( one more reason to work harder on my verbal..) btw..any suggestions for a max. workout for verbal in 60 days ??

archu
07-06-2003, 05:13 AM
Sorry that should have been xaero- mistyped as roger !!

monty_bhatia
07-06-2003, 11:45 AM
Officially, we should see 30 questions in all on the verbal section. If suppose the experimental section is also verbal, how many total questions will we have then? Greater than 30??

archu
07-06-2003, 12:24 PM
logically 60 ( !! ) ..well monty-i suppose it will be two distinct verbal sections with 30 qs each at a time-whether or not they will attack us one after the other or one each before and after the break is something iam not sure of - if they were human enough my bet is it'll be the latter case-lets hope for the best..!!

monty_bhatia
07-06-2003, 02:05 PM
60 questions on Verbal is more than enough to scare the hell out of me!! [bomb] Although you are right logically, still, are you sure its 60 in all?? Or could it be that out of the 30 odd questions, a couple are experiemental, and they are split up to come as two different sections?? Maybe we should check with somebody who has taken the exam already - that person should be able to tell how many verbal questions he/she encountered in all. If somebody, who has taken the exam is reading this, please answer this query.

And I agree, if its two consecutive verbal sections, its going to be too much for non-native speakers of English like us. :(

Lets hope for the best. God bless us all.

andrea
07-06-2003, 10:56 PM
hi monty bhatia, and archu,
even i know quite a few people who took the gre and got 2 verbal and i math section. the experimental section will be just like the real section each will have 30 in case of verbal and 28 (if luck is on your side) for math. we will know have any clue if it is verbal exper. one or the real one.

xaero
07-07-2003, 08:20 AM
Andrea is quite right. I took my GRE in Oct 2002 and I had to face a V section, followed by a Q and again a V section.
And yeah, admittedly, 2 V sections put some uneasiness in you, especially after working out questions for nearly 150 minutes. But I'd say its quite a challenge. There'll be absolutely no clue to identify the experimental section and they all have to be approached with the same seriousness.
Usually the 2 V sections will not be successive (no guarantees though). So that means the second verbal will have to be faced last.

Check out my GRE experiences in the 'Just Finished GRE' section for more info at
http://www.TestMagic.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1517

Archana, 'Roger' was just my 'ACCEPTED' message to your 'thanks' :D.
Regarding your intended rigorous Verbal workout in 60 days, I'd strongly suggest the Kaplan practice CDs and the Higher Score for GRE Book. The material is excellent and should make the GRE seem easier. The book with the CD is available everywhere in India.

Good Luck to all!

archu
07-07-2003, 10:38 AM
Thanx for the info XAERO :)