PDA

View Full Version : Is this true???

princessj
06-05-2002, 11:50 AM
Hi-

It is said that, the first few questions on GRE are the ones that are important to decide your scores. Does this mean that after the first few questions, it doesn't really matter whether you get them right or not?

Also, does tuff questions carry more points?

I'm really confused as each of the books have their own way of analyzing the grading policy for GRE
:question::question::question:

Can anyone please tell me what is the correct way?

Thanks!

Melissa

raghuveer_v
06-05-2002, 01:00 PM
Hmm...

Since the GRE is adaptive, if you answer any question wrongly, you will get a question of lower difficulty level.

Higher level questions have more weightage than the lower level ones.

So, if two persons answer the same no. of questions correctly, but the number of higher level questions is more for one, he will score higher.

and for your score to be high, you should answer more high level questions, and answer them correctly.

to answer them correctly, you should first get more higher level questions to answer.

to get more higher level questions, you need to make sure that the level of questions being presented to you do not FALL,... by answering CORRECTLY.

the first few questions are important because ....

if you answer them wrong, your level will fall.
then,
- you need to answer a lot of easy questions correctly before your level will rise. even then, on the whole, you will end up having answered a large no. of low level, hence low weightage questions.

- if you still make mistakes, your level will fall to greater depths, from which recovery is next to impossible.

if you answer first few questions correctly
you will maintain a healthy level, more or less, thoroughout

after half-way through, you will have answered enough high level questions, to secure you a place in the top.

the last questions, ARE IMPORTANT. but, they contribute less. any mistakes toward the end only slightly affect the total score.

hope i am clear

anybody else is also welcome to explain it i thier terms, and correct me if i am wrong.

all the best, Melissa! :)

Raghuveer.

princessj
06-06-2002, 12:22 PM
Thanks a lot for your informative answer!

Melissa

Hmm...

Since the GRE is adaptive, if you answer any question wrongly, you will get a question of lower difficulty level.

Higher level questions have more weightage than the lower level ones.

So, if two persons answer the same no. of questions correctly, but the number of higher level questions is more for one, he will score higher.

and for your score to be high, you should answer more high level questions, and answer them correctly.

to answer them correctly, you should first get more higher level questions to answer.

to get more higher level questions, you need to make sure that the level of questions being presented to you do not FALL,... by answering CORRECTLY.

the first few questions are important because ....

if you answer them wrong, your level will fall.
then,
- you need to answer a lot of easy questions correctly before your level will rise. even then, on the whole, you will end up having answered a large no. of low level, hence low weightage questions.

- if you still make mistakes, your level will fall to greater depths, from which recovery is next to impossible.

if you answer first few questions correctly
you will maintain a healthy level, more or less, thoroughout

after half-way through, you will have answered enough high level questions, to secure you a place in the top.

the last questions, ARE IMPORTANT. but, they contribute less. any mistakes toward the end only slightly affect the total score.

hope i am clear

anybody else is also welcome to explain it i thier terms, and correct me if i am wrong.

all the best, Melissa! :)

Raghuveer.
[/quote]