PDA

View Full Version : Contradictions in LSAT preparation and problems

rakovsky
06-10-2006, 05:56 PM
The NOVA study guide appears to be one of the best preparation materials available, but some of its advice is confusing. Can you explain it?

On page 24, the book says that the test takes the word "or" to be inclusive. For example, "Bob or Josh could be at the bar tonight." But I thought that the more literal meaning of "or" was exclusive. Otherwise, what is the point of the term "and/or" if the literal meaning of "or" is not exclusive?

Page 37 shows you how to set up symbols to understand the logic games.
To symbolize Y is to the immediate right of X write: XY
To show Y is somewhere between X and Z write: X...Y...Z
and put a line under it to show the X and Z could be flipped, and Z could come first and X last.
To symbolize that X is not next to Y write: ~(XY)
But it has no line under the X and Y, but instead says that once I'm used to that the order can be reversed, I don't need to use the flip flop symbol.
This does not make sense, since how do I distinguish "not next to eachother" from "Y is to the right of X?" In other parts of the book, does it use the XY symbol to mean both?
What should I use?

Page 239 says to put a sentence like this in If-then form: "Only if James is allowed to go will Kenneth go."
We can say "If James doesn't go, then Kenneth won't" and "If Kenneth goes, then James does too"
The statement can also be rewritten as: "Ken will go in the case that James goes, but not in any others."
Now, doesn't that mean "If James goes, then Kenneth will too?"

In a similar example, "Danielle will go to Trident College only if she gets A's on her final exams." In other words, Danielle will go to Trident College in the case that her grades are A's, but not with any other grades.
Yet the book says, "There is no such guarantee. The only guarantee is that if she does not get an A, then she will not go to Trident College."

Do you know what the symbols I and BV stand for on page 256?

Can you combine the statements
~H -> B
H _> ~B
into one line?

Erin
08-28-2006, 12:48 AM
The NOVA study guide appears to be one of the best preparation materials available, but some of its advice is confusing. Can you explain it?Most of my experience is with ETS tests, so I can't say for sure what the LSAT would do. or can be 'inclusive', so I would hope that on the LSAT the correct usage wouldn't be ambiguous.

aarushi2001
08-29-2006, 04:36 PM
I gave LSAT and as far as I know, for LR, the best guide is Powerscore Logical Reasoning guide. Nova is considered best for RC.