PDA

View Full Version : Mathematics LSE

Piotrek
06-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Hi Guys,

do you know is it possible to take some Math classes at the LSE (MSc in Economics) that are not a core part of curriculum?
I would like to improve my profile and I am planning to take some Math classes concurrently with the core classes (Mirco, Macro, Econometrics, Monetary Economics). Is is possible? How much this additionally cost?

P.

TriEcon
06-30-2006, 12:55 PM
I applaud your ambition, but I don't think this will be allowed. It's hard enough to get permission to take the advanced courses instead of MSc level courses.

LSE does have an open lecture policy. You are welcome to sit in on courses you are not registered for. I just don't think you will have time to really study and sit exams for a 5th course. Your schedule will be pretty packed as it is and you might not even be able to work the courses you want into your schedule.

My personal opinion, having just finished the MSc Econ myself, is that you shouldn't try to squeeze in any extra courses. The standard sequence is difficult enough. Even taking one advanced course is like adding an extra half unit per term. I don't think my friends that took advanced courses regret their decision, but it certainly put their chances of getting distinction in jeopardy.

As for cost, you'll have to check with LSE.

economicus
06-30-2006, 05:07 PM
What about LSE's Summer School....isnt't it possible to take some math there?