PDA

View Full Version : what is plagiarism

tarun kumar
07-07-2006, 05:14 PM
If i use some phrases from any book (for ex arcos) as it is especially in introduction and concluding paragraphs will it be a case of plagiarism I have heard that gre examiners have access to these books and they will be watching out for such sort of things plzz reply soon as my exam is approaching fast.

classicist22
07-07-2006, 05:42 PM
sorry, double post - repeated below

classicist22
07-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Tarun, I don't know whether it's true or not that examiners have access to these books and are looking out for copied phrases. But my general feeling is - why risk it? Plagiarism's taken very seriously these days, especially by American universities, so (besides the moral issues at stake here) I'd say it's not worth jeopardising your entire application (and possibly future) for the sake of an introductory or concluding paragraph in a GRE essay. Of course, if you're just talking about general phrases like, "this is an example of a post hoc fallacy", I don't think anyone could accuse you of plagiarism. But I really wouldn't advise lifting specific phrases out of these books. Why not prepare and learn some phrases of your own before the exam? That's what the study guides advise anyway - to create your own template.

tarun kumar
07-08-2006, 07:42 PM
thanx guy for your reply . Iintend to use phrases such as
the argument is a dubious one
the argument relies on a series of unproven assumptions
the argument suffers from numerous flaws

now I think that using such phrases is not plagiarism .I thinh that unles you copy word to word it does not come under plagiarism. what do you people say ?
plzzz reply soon and clear my doubts.
thanxx a lot .