PDA

View Full Version : This might be a stupid question numbering of the issues and rguments

nightmare1004
07-18-2006, 12:04 AM
Hi guys:

Haven't been here for a while. I have just started to get prepared for the GRE, and I wanted to wrap my head around AWA, starting with the issues.

I don't seem to understand how the numbering of these issues work. Tthe current ETS list shows 243 issues, none of which (at least the ones I checked) seem to correspond with the numbers of the issues you people have been sending in for review. The same goes for ARCO (Answers to the real essay question, scnd. edition). Coolsamurai provided a reference list in one of the older threads that seemed to sort the numbers of ETS issues with the ones in the book. Unfortunately, that does not seem to work for me either.

Am I missing something here?

Just to make sure you know what I am talking about: The first issue from the ETS webpage I downloaded today is
1. Patriotic reverence for the history of a nation often does more to impede than to encourage progress."

The last one is: "All students should be required to take courses in the sciences, even if they have no interest in science."

Do I even have the right list?

I am confused. Help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

N.

SNYP40A1
07-18-2006, 04:12 AM
The ordering is changed, but the questions are the same. There is another post on this with the correct numbering.

Hi guys:

Haven't been here for a while. I have just started to get prepared for the GRE, and I wanted to wrap my head around AWA, starting with the issues.

I don't seem to understand how the numbering of these issues work. Tthe current ETS list shows 243 issues, none of which (at least the ones I checked) seem to correspond with the numbers of the issues you people have been sending in for review. The same goes for ARCO (Answers to the real essay question, scnd. edition). Coolsamurai provided a reference list in one of the older threads that seemed to sort the numbers of ETS issues with the ones in the book. Unfortunately, that does not seem to work for me either.

Am I missing something here?

Just to make sure you know what I am talking about: The first issue from the ETS webpage I downloaded today is
1.Patriotic reverence for the history of a nation often does more to impede than to encourage progress."

The last one is: "All students should be required to take courses in the sciences, even if they have no interest in science."

Do I even have the right list?

I am confused. Help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

N.

nightmare1004
07-18-2006, 09:24 PM
Hi SNYP40A1:

thanks for the response. I hate to say it, but I could not find the thread you are referring to, other than the one, where somebody was trying to find this numbered list as well, but even Erin had to say that he had gotten flag over it (or a similar one) from ETS. So the numbered testmagic-list of issues does not seem to be officially posted anywhere.

Does anybody have it on the harddrive and could share it with me, please?
Email: boehm@inet2000.com

I know, I am a pain, but everybody else seems to have this list, since the whole GRE-testmagic-world is referring to it all the time in the "Analysis of an issue/argument review". I certainly feel a little dumb here, so please enlighten me.

Thanks a million for all the help.

Regards,

N.