PDA

View Full Version : some tips for the exam

KingTuT
11-22-2006, 10:17 PM
hello all,
Now it is only days & all this stress will end. Guyes u should be proud of your selves coz u did a tremendous effort . Now u should trust GOD & b sure that he will never waste all ur hard work,u should only pray him to support u in all ur steps.

now there r few tips i have to tell u about the exam i hope they will b usefull:

1- calculation questions r very direct & easy, remember u will not b provided with calculators so u will not have 2 use equations with alot of variables.

2-management questions r really common sensce, once u r aware of the americanhealth care system, u will b fine with a large no. of questions & u can solve alot of questions from ur life experience.

3-chemical structures:
a- u should only b familiar with the basic neucleus of the major classes
u can b asked which of the follwng is beta- blocker for example.
b- u should b familliar with the SAR mentioned in cpr
c- from my experience in june test, there were many structure questions which seemed very scary from the 1st glance BUT this was some thing like a trick coz all of them could b easily solved by ur basic understanding. for example if ur given 4 different structures of 4 different beta blockers & u r asked 2 tell which is the fastest 2 b absorebed,notice that this is all illusion from nabp coz in this case u will waste ur time remembering all what u have studied about these drugs :rolleyes: while u can easily solve the question by looking at the structures & choosing the 1 which has the least hydrophilic gps(e.g least free -OH) i.e it will b most lipophilic & fastest absorption.

4- u may face the same type of tricky questions in pharmacology. In pharmacology u should b aware of the major drug classes, general mechanisms, major side effects & drug interactions (again only the major obvious things) SO for example don't get shocked if u r asked about blablacyclin, they only want to test ur information regarding tetracyclin.

5- b confident, it is not impossible to pass the test. Just think that thousands had made it before u & u will all b celebrating ur success 2 months from now inshallah as those people did :grad:.

sorry guys that is all i can remeber now & would like brother FPGEE-DESPRATE to add his valueble tips here.

we r all praying 4 u :tup:.
good luck[clap]:tup:[clap]

fafy
11-22-2006, 10:44 PM
Thank you for your support and still being with us after passing all of this nightmare.
Just wonder if we are allowed to keep our watches during the exam?
Thanks.
Fafy

fizzbizz
11-22-2006, 11:15 PM
Finally A Msg From Tut...that A Reliever...i Was Waiting And Missing Ur Msgs Badly...was Wondering Where U Vanishes..did U Get Virus Too Etc
Thanks A Lot

khadija
11-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks sister, for your support thanks for every thing.
fafy no watchs are allowed , but im wondering how are we gonna know about time. now we should start revising CPR again
im living now to the states which can connect to the internet in the hotel. whish you all the best. be sur GOD WILL BE THERE FOR Us
love you all
khadija

fafy
11-22-2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks Khadija.
Good luck to all of us.

kavee
11-23-2006, 02:56 AM
Thanks alot for the tips tut.......:)

Hey Khadija.....:) Welcome to US:) ......I wish u a Happy journey[dance]

gigs
11-23-2006, 05:19 AM
welcome to U.S Khadija u have been very helpfull to all of Us. which state r u in??
thanks alot king tut for your all valuable tips we really needed it most at this time.thanks alot:tup:

monaellakany
11-23-2006, 06:28 AM
hey khadija i send u private massage few days ago
r u alone here? or have company
give me the name of the hotel so i can ask about u

bva
11-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Dear KingTuT,

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH for all your support and encouragement.

Thank you so much!!
[goodjob]

KingTuT
11-23-2006, 11:33 AM
khadija, I wish u a nice stay in USA sister, & inshallah u will b fine. may ALLAH help u.

fafy u can enter the exam hall with ur watch, money, keys, even cell phones were allowed last june but the instructor announced that they must b switched off BUT once the exam begins u must put all ur stuff in a plastic bag under ur seat. & dont worry about time, they announce the time during the test.

outside the exam hall u can hand the rest of ur stuff(books, bags, etc) in a certain room & u will recieve a number so that u can use ur stuff during the break & then re hand it to them with the same number.
that what happened in NY last june(i don't remember how much did we pay for those people taking care of our stuff, but it wasn't much).

Guys, try to eat alot of choclate & candies to give u energy & help u think & focus. last june i nearly fainted during the 1st session so i took perfumed napkins with me in the second one, i put it near my nose all the time , it was very stimulating:p.

Dear fizzbizz, alhamdolellah i didn't get that virus:). i was really busy preparing my papers & documents, & i think u people r doing great job here.

good luck 2 u alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Thanks sister, for your support thanks for every thing.
fafy no watchs are allowed , but im wondering how are we gonna know about time. now we should start revising CPR again
im living now to the states which can connect to the internet in the hotel. whish you all the best. be sur GOD WILL BE THERE FOR Us
love you all
khadija

khadija
11-24-2006, 07:46 AM
Thank you so much dears for your kindness, i made it safely to san jose
Im glad that i can connect to the internet here.

good luck

mpb
11-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Hi kingTuT !

thanks for your great advice.
Can you please, give us a some examples, which type fo SAR we have to study for exam from cpr?and what kinds of they ask?

thanks in advance.

Pharm8
11-26-2006, 05:48 AM
hi king tut thanks for the suggestions for the exam.
do u remember how much statistics questions were there in the last exam.Manan schroff have lot of statistics questions.

KingTuT
11-26-2006, 04:40 PM
only those in the medicinal chemistry chapters, like: barbiturates, benzodiazepines,corticosteroids,,,,,,,,,,,etc.

Hi kingTuT !

thanks for your great advice.
Can you please, give us a some examples, which type fo SAR we have to study for exam from cpr?and what kinds of they ask?

thanks in advance.

KingTuT
11-26-2006, 04:55 PM
there were about 3 or 4 questions about statistics

u will find the exact topics they ask about, & much more in this thread.

http://www.urch.com/forums/fpgee/58854-fpgee-desperate.html?highlight=FPGEE-DESPERATE

good luck all.

hi king tut thanks for the suggestions for the exam.
do u remember how much statistics questions were there in the last exam.Manan schroff have lot of statistics questions.

Ohm
11-26-2006, 06:29 PM
Hi dear friends

It is just this week, next week on this day we are done. I wanted wish us all very best. Bad luck I din't get hard drive. I got to get one when I come to US.

I just wanted to tell some tips.
First and fore most don't be panic, be calm and quiete, and confident. So brain can work better and no confusion.
If you don't know the answer try to do the elimination processes.
If you look at always, or most words in answer most of the time those answers are wrong ( I read it on USMLE tips)
If you look at "a" word at the end of the quesition look for the answer that starts with consonent.
Read the question carefully, you might find the answer in the question itself.
We don't carry any negetive marks in the exam even though you applied all the techniques and still didn't get the answer just pray to god, and answer what ever you like, if we are lucky we might get the correct answer but don't leave without marking.
Have planty of sleep before exam, mind can relax and work better next day. King tut posted very good tips as well. Thank you kingtut.That's all friends. I thought these would be helpful.

I have seen very good post from Fizzbizz and question from Kumar. Thank you very much guys. I have exam in Chicago, but I am not sure how we can meet. If there is anyway to meet our friends I will be glad. I wanted to thank one and all in our forum , and wish us all very best. and god bless us all to get thought this exam.

Best Regards

Ohm

mpb
11-26-2006, 07:53 PM
thnaks a lot kingTuT :)

fizzbizz
11-26-2006, 11:36 PM
thanks ohm
im planning something for our meeting....i ll post that in a day or 2
some more tips:
Here are some guidelines that will help you correctly answer multiple-choice items.

Circle or underline important words in the item. This will help you focus on the information most needed to identify the correct answer choice.
Read all the answer choices before selecting one. It is just as likely for the last answer choice to be correct as the first.
Cross out answer choices you are certain are not correct. This will help you narrow down the correct answer choice.
Look for two answer choices that are opposites. One of these two answer choices is likely to be correct.
Look for hints about the correct answer choice in other items on the test. The correct answer choice may be part of another item on the test.
Do not change your initial answer unless you are sure another answer choice is correct. More often than not, your first choice is correct.
Choose “all of the above” if you are certain all other answer choices in the item are correct. Do not choose “all of the above” if even just one of the other answer choices is not correct.
Choose “none of the above” if you are certain all other answer choices in the item are incorrect. Do not choose “none of the above” if even just one of the other answer choices is correct.

dussamkumar
11-26-2006, 11:38 PM
thanks king tut
for your great support and moral support through out the preparation .
PRAY FOR US.
Thanks for every thing.
Kumar

fizzbizz
11-26-2006, 11:41 PM
The Day Before the Exam
Take the day off from studying. This is your day to relax and gather your strength before the main event. Get out of bed at the same time you will have to get up the next day. If you feel you must study, limit yourself to reviewing your own notes and flashcards.
Have some fun. Go for a walk. Listen to your favorite music. Go see a good comedy or an action movie that will allow cathartic release. Go shopping. Spend time with a significant other. Do what ever you like. You have worked hard and deserve it.
Make sure that you have checked out the basics for the exam: Have you worked through the NAPLEX Candidates Review Guide tutorial? Do you know where the Sylvan center is, and how to get there?
Have a back-up plan: Do you have alternative transportation if, for example, your car does not start? Do you trust your alarm clock to wake you up in time? If not, make arrangements with friends as back up. You want to be sure to wake up rested, refreshed, and on time.
Lay out what you'll need for the exam before you go to sleep. This includes photo identification, scheduling permit and confirmation number, as well as any personal items like eyeglasses.
Call your friends and classmates and make some plans to celebrate after the exam is over. You'll need to blow off some steam anyhow, and talking with colleagues will remind you that you are not in this by yourself.
Be sure to do some physical activity. Just taking a walk for an hour will help relax you.
Get a good night's sleep. To help you sleep, consider a hot bath or warm milk. Avoid taking sleeping medication as it may leave you groggy in the morning

fizzbizz
11-26-2006, 11:42 PM
Exam Day
Taking the NAPLEX® is NOT the most important day of your career; it's just another hurdle on your way to becoming a licensed pharmacist. Keep it in perspective. Treat the exam like what it is, a routine mechanical exercise. Deal with each question as you come to it, make your choice, and then move on.
No matter how well prepared you are for the NAPLEX, you will get many questions wrong. Be prepared to feel stupid. This is not an exam where you should expect to know every answer. Knowing this, your test-taking strategy should be somewhat different than it may be when you take other exams.
Arrive at the Sylvan Center 30 minutes early so you are not rushed and have time to get organized. You will be given a locker to store your personal items and then assigned a computer station. Remember that you have a total of 4 1/4 hours to complete 185 questions, and a 10-minute mandatory break after approximately 2 hours.
To cope with fatigue, you will need to make the most of your break. Take care of your needs in the order of their importance to your comfort. Youll probably want to visit the restroom, get a quick refreshment and stretch your legs.
Be cautious about changing answers. In general, your odds of changing a correct answer to a wrong one are so much higher than the reverse that it is simply not worth the risk. If you change an answer, you are most likely making it wrong! Your first impulse is usually the correct one. Stay with it unless some clear insight occurs to you.
Monitor your time so that you know how much you have left, and so that you do not find yourself rushed at the end. Work on your pacing from the beginning of the exam. Check your watch or on-screen timer every 10 questions to make sure you are on the correct pace to finish. If you pace yourself throughout the exam, you should not be squeezed for time at the end.
During the break, try to relax and not think back over the exam. The desire to recall questions is strong, but not helpful. Those questions are in the past; you will never see them again. Focus on relaxing and making the most of your break. Remember, you will always tend to remember those questions you get wrong.

fizzbizz
11-26-2006, 11:49 PM
The Week Before the Exam
During the last few days before the exam you should be tapering off your studying, and getting into mental and physical shape. Here are a few tips:
This is not the time for cramming in new material, but a time to organize and integrate what you already know. Work on making what you know more accessible.
Review keywords, phrases and concepts. Look over your summary notes one more time. This is the time to drill yourself on essential information. The key is to practice recall, not simply read over the material again. What you need to know is probably already in your head. Your task now is to train yourself to access it when you need it. Doing practice questions is a good way to reinforce your recall skills. Only remember, practice questions are often harder than the questions on the real exam. Do not panic if you do not get them right. Use them to clarify your understanding of key details.
Be honest with yourself about what you do and do not know. Knowing that you do not know something gives you more of a sense of control on the exam and makes you less likely to panic when you encounter the material and/or waste time on questions you are not likely to get correct. When you come to a question that you know that you do not know, simply mark your favorite answer choice and move on!
Get yourself onto the right time schedule. Wake up every day at the same time you will need to on the day of the exam. This will get your circadian rhythm coordinated with the exam schedule. Do not nap between 8:00am and 5:00pm. Otherwise you may accustom your body to shutting down during critical exam hours. If you get up at the right time each day, you will also find it easier to fall asleep at night. By getting into the proper sleep-wake cycle, you will find it easier to get to sleep the night of the exam as well.
You should be getting a sufficient amount of sleep. For most people that means at least 6 to 7 hours a night. Sleep is an essential time for your brain to consolidate what you have learned. You need sleep; it makes you a more efficient learner when you are awake.
Take some time each day to relax. Have a good meal. Take a walk in the fresh air. Find time for exercise. The change of pace will refresh you and the physical activity will help you relax and sleep at night.
If you haven't done so already, visit the Sylvan Center where you will be taking the exam. It will be indicated on your exam entry ticket. This will ensure you know how to get there and how much time you should allow for the commute. You can see where you should park, and see what the computer set-up is like.

kavee
11-28-2006, 01:33 AM
Hey fizzbizz......

I didnt understand this?can u tell me clearly?I know that we need to be there by 7:30(when doors open)...and exam starts at 9 o clock...and its a 3hr exam in the morning,by 12 o clock we will be done by morning session...and doors once again open at 1:30 in the afternoon and exam starts at 2:30 to 5:30 for afternoon session........so ur saying that in between exam they give us a break?plz let me know.....

Exam Day
Remember that you have a total of 4 1/4 hours to complete 185 questions, and a 10-minute mandatory break after approximately 2 hours.
To cope with fatigue, you will need to make the most of your break. Take care of your needs in the order of their importance to your comfort. Youll probably want to visit the restroom, get a quick refreshment and stretch your legs.

fafy
11-28-2006, 02:06 AM
I think this is for NAPLEX not for us.

fizzbizz
11-28-2006, 02:40 AM
the tips ...its for naplex since it is a cbt i just posted them here bcos they r good for us too...:rolleyes: sorry if i caused any confusion

kavee
11-28-2006, 03:02 AM
Oh is it....I got it now...No problem fizzbizz:).........Thanx fafy.....

khadija
11-28-2006, 03:03 AM
the tips ...its for naplex since it is a cbt i just posted them here bcos they r good for us too...:rolleyes: sorry if i caused any confusion

any body still reviewing CPR like me I feel i absolutely need to go through it once again.

kavee
11-28-2006, 03:05 AM
Hey khadija..even I am going thru cpr once again now....even thinking of going thru management too....
any body still reviewing CPR like me I feel i absolutely need to go through it once again.

khadija
11-28-2006, 03:28 AM
Hey khadija..even I am going thru cpr once again now....even thinking of going thru management too....

thanks my dear, i felt so scared I was thinking im doing wrong by still reviewing books instead of practicing questions. management they said it is mostely commun sens hop ours will work on the D day
good luck to every body

kavee
11-28-2006, 03:31 AM
Ya thats right......Hope our common sense works.....Anyways I am not worried about Management though....I am mainly worried about Pharmacology.....:eek: ....All the best ....

thanks my dear, i felt so scared I was thinking im doing wrong by still reviewing books instead of practicing questions. management they said it is mostely commun sens hop ours will work on the D day
good luck to every body

ryn
11-28-2006, 04:38 AM
can anybody tell - is chapter 5 of CPR important to read ?

khadija
11-28-2006, 04:44 AM
can anybody tell - is chapter 5 of CPR important to read ?
if you reAd chapter 3 then should be enough

monaellakany
11-28-2006, 05:14 AM
ch 5 is for naplex

bva
11-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Could anyone please suggest, between Manan Q & A and CPR, which book should i revise? [bounce]

kavee
11-28-2006, 01:54 PM
It depends on u Bva:D ....u have to decide...I think its better if u revise cpr(end questions of each chapter)...and if u have time.just go thru 1000 questions also once again.....Hope this helps......

bva
11-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Thank you Kavee,

Now I'm getting worried of everything. :doh: I wish i can revise both cpr and 1000Q altogether once again.

Thankssssssssssssssss [goodjob]

kavee
11-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Dont worry Bva.......Just hope for the best and do whatever u can do.....and rest is taken care of god......
Hey u put very nice smileys:) ....ah...

Thank you Kavee,

Now I'm getting worried of everything. :doh: I wish i can revise both cpr and 1000Q altogether once again.

Thankssssssssssssssss [goodjob]

monaellakany
11-28-2006, 07:29 PM
king tut plz tell me in ny exam center what should i have with me in exam like pencils,cell phone food ......

fizzbizz
11-28-2006, 07:50 PM
i also have these doubts;
can we talk to other people while waiting for regn..or after exam..
can we go outside the building during break time? or after 730 am?

amdcenter2000
11-28-2006, 07:59 PM
who is giving the exams in new york????????//
u r allowed pencil. for the watch and ur purse u can put it in ziploc and put it under ur table.nothing else they allow. the food and cell phone and all other extra items u willhave to submit .usually they collect all things and keep it in a room. u can talk to other people when u r waiting. in the break time u can go outside the building.

bva
11-28-2006, 09:21 PM
The management will be in morning or afternoon session? [bounce]

amdcenter2000
11-28-2006, 09:53 PM
management is in afternoon session. pharmacology and biochemistry si in morning session