PDA

View Full Version : Nervous about Quant. Section (hints please)

VzlaGirl
08-27-2003, 02:35 PM
I've been reading the posts on the "Just finished my GRE" forum. And I noticed that most the people who posted there scored pretty well in the quantitative section, most of them scored higher than 700!

I'm kind of nervous about that section, I think I'm going to score 500 or something like that. Although I don't consider myself bad at math, I think I'm not so fast at solving problems. Is there enough time at the quant. section to solve all the problems?

I'm curious, I've read that if you give 3 wrong answers, you are also able to score 800, is that true? I've also read that if you give one wrong answer if the first five questions, then your score goes down to 770? Is that the way it is?

What is the maximun number of wrong answers I should have in the quantitative section in order to score 650, 700, 740, 770, 800?

Is using Barron's "How to prepare for the GRE test" a good study plan for the quantitative section?

Thank you so much! :)

andrea
08-27-2003, 10:43 PM
hi,
ya it is true that even if you get 3 wrong u can still get a 800 and even if you get 1 wrong sometimes your score can drop. [xx(] On the GRE it is very important to get the first few questios right so if you get the last questions wrong you can still get a 800 but if you get the initial questions wrong then your score can drop.:(
hope that was helpful.
andrea :D

Psyoutlaw
08-28-2003, 12:38 AM
It all depends on what program you are trying to get into. All of the Engineer & Computer Science majors expect to get 800 because they have had a whole slew of math during their academics. Whereas English, Psychology, Sociology, and other majors have not. For instance for a Psychology student such as my self, if I get a 650+, I have a good shot at gaining admission into a PhD program....I also have to get at least a 600 in verbal also.

It all depends on what you are going to Grad school for....

Psyoutlaw

pamrs
08-31-2003, 12:31 AM
The people here are almost all engineer/computer type people (and big time over-achievers!) Liberal arts majors don't have to have high math scores. But what you MUST do with the quant is look for "shortcut" for problems. You will not have time to work out every problem. Take time to study the problem before you launch into solving it to see if you can find an easy way to find the answer. I forced myself to stop using paper almost entirely, so I couldn't work things out, and started doing much better on Q.

Originally posted by VzlaGirl

I've been reading the posts on the "Just finished my GRE" forum. And I noticed that most the people who posted there scored pretty well in the quantitative section, most of them scored higher than 700!

I'm kind of nervous about that section, I think I'm going to score 500 or something like that. Although I don't consider myself bad at math, I think I'm not so fast at solving problems. Is there enough time at the quant. section to solve all the problems?

I'm curious, I've read that if you give 3 wrong answers, you are also able to score 800, is that true? I've also read that if you give one wrong answer if the first five questions, then your score goes down to 770? Is that the way it is?

What is the maximun number of wrong answers I should have in the quantitative section in order to score 650, 700, 740, 770, 800?

Is using Barron's "How to prepare for the GRE test" a good study plan for the quantitative section?

Thank you so much! :)

prusd
08-03-2005, 03:49 PM
The people here are almost all engineer/computer type people (and big time over-achievers!) Liberal arts majors don't have to have high math scores. But what you MUST do with the quant is look for "shortcut" for problems. You will not have time to work out every problem.

I agree. The people here do appear to be big time over achievers (800 on quants!!, memorizing 3500 words!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!). It's nice to hear other people feel similarly. I was starting to feel really dumb.

coolpaggy
08-03-2005, 05:21 PM
There is no equation to tell how many Qs one is allowded to get wrong, and mange a perfet 800.........
plz dont keep a negative approach......approach it like any other exam and success will with you............