PDA

View Full Version : Transfer for a First Year Student

gradecon
12-15-2006, 11:34 PM
Hello everyone. I'm a first year econ grad student. For some reason, I want to leave my current school. I wonder if you know of any school which has accepted transfer students, with first year course-work exempted. In other words, the student can go directly to second year of the new school.

Thanks a lot!

Antichron
12-15-2006, 11:37 PM
I'm not familiar with any schools that will accept previous graduate work with the possible exception of Berkeley (If I remember correctly from their site.). Having taken the whole first year, though, it should be possible to pass out of all the core coursework at whatever school you go to. Many schools let you take comprehensive exams for the first year material at the beginning of the Fall term. MIT lets people pass out of each half-semester module of micro/macro. (And each semester module of econometrics.)

asquare
12-16-2006, 12:02 AM
I don't know of any programs that simply allow students to transfer into the second year of their program without satisfying the first year core requirements by taking the classes and passing prelims, or being exempted from the classes by passing the prelims upon arrival. You are going to have to take and pass the exams at your new school if you want to get out of the first year classes.

You also have to go through the regular applications cycle. If you want to be at a different school in fall of 2007, you needed to apply this fall.