06-27-2002, 07:29 AM
Again thanks a lot to your help.

My score:
Listening: 27
Structure/writing:28
Reading: 27
Essay rating: 5.5

Total score:273.

I'm very happy :D and I didn't expect the essay score. One advise, if you are not good are writing (that's my case), buy the book How to prepare for the Computer-Based Toefl essay. Probably without the book my essay score would be 3.

Now I have to start studying for the GMAT. Are the essays comparable between GMAT and TOEFL. Can I prepare them in the same way?

Best regards

Lorenzo

PS. Keep working for the site, it's the best I found on Internet (and I've searched a lot!!!)

Regards

Lorenzo

raghuveer_v
06-27-2002, 07:56 AM
Congrats !!!
for that truly amazing score!
And, thanks for the advice.
TestMagic is surely the best web-site for TOEFL.

Raghuveer

arti
06-27-2002, 12:02 PM
Hi Lorenzo

CONGARTULATIONS. Thats a GREAT score.
Regarding GMAT and TOEFL essays.....
GMAT has 2 essays.
one is Analysis of Issue. This is similar to TOEFL.
Second is Analysis of Argument. This is very different and u need to practice 2-3 essays yourself to get the feel of it.
By the way don't bother for the essay part much in your TOEFL as it is not counted in the final score. Your AWA scores are sent separately to every university. And they don't bother for it unless and until its too bad.

All the best for your GMAT.
I am sure you will shine thro' :)

Arti Gupta

Erin
06-27-2002, 04:37 PM
Wow!

What an awesome score! You should be really proud of yourself! Your scores are also quite balanced--showing no deficiency in any particular area. That's really good!

Arti has given you good advice about the GMAT essays; and, if you found that TOEFL guide helpful, you should also get the Arco guide for the GMAT essays.

But, the "dirty little secret" of the GMAT is that the essays are really not that important. I've talked to many adcoms and they've said pretty much the same thing: As long as you get a 4.0 or better, you're okay. They don't really care much about the scores above that.

One more odd thing--for some reason many of my students get about the same score on their GMAT and TOEFL scores, e.g., students who get a 5.5 on the TOEFL essays usually get about a 5.0 on the GMAT essay. You'd think that the GMAT would be harder and the score would be much lower, but that's not what I've seen in my experience.

So, my advice is not to worry too much about the GMAT essays--focus your time and energy on the other parts.

HTH!!

Again thanks a lot to your help.

My score:
Listening: 27
Structure/writing:28
Reading: 27
Essay rating: 5.5

Total score:273.

I'm very happy :D and I didn't expect the essay score. One advise, if you are not good are writing (that's my case), buy the book How to prepare for the Computer-Based Toefl essay. Probably without the book my essay score would be 3.

Now I have to start studying for the GMAT. Are the essays comparable between GMAT and TOEFL. Can I prepare them in the same way?

Best regards

Lorenzo

PS. Keep working for the site, it's the best I found on Internet (and I've searched a lot!!!)

Regards

Lorenzo

Erin