View Full Version : Final score : 297

dimitri
09-04-2003, 02:34 PM
Hi ,

Gave the TOEFL yesterday . Went off quite smoothly .My scores are as follows :

L : 29
S/W : 13-30
R : 30

Just missed out on one listening question I guess . So close yet so far :)
anyways ..no regrets ..very much satisfied with the end result .

Abt my prep , started off 2 days prior to the test . Gave a couple of Cambridge CBT's and the 2 powerprep CBT's . That's about it .
I think for people who speak english fluently ..TOEFL is not a big deal . It's more on how you concentrate during the 3 odd hours of the test . For eg : a slight loss of concentration in the listening section ...and u'll end up making some mistake or the other in the questions that follow .

Cheers :)
Dmitri

kirting
09-04-2003, 02:38 PM
Hi! Dimitri,

Congratulations!!! [banana] You did a very good job on it.

Do you plan to take G soon?

dimitri
09-04-2003, 03:55 PM
I'm assuming G means GRE here .

I gave the GRE in april 2003 and scored 1420 , essay 5.5

dimitri
09-26-2003, 07:53 AM
Got my final score today : 297

scored a 6.0 on my essay . My essay was not exceptional, more of a normal essay ..but guess there must have been something which the TOEFL people found worthy to gimme a 6.0

Now that i'm done with the standardized tests ...its time to be let the games begin ! I just hope these scores will help me in getting into a good university .

Ricky
09-26-2003, 11:52 AM
Hi Dimitri

I very much admire you awesome score. Anyway, good luck with your games. Hope you will get admission into some good university.

Cheerio !
Ricky

DreamsComeTrue
09-26-2003, 01:02 PM
Got my final score today : 297
Wow! That is my dream!!! [goodjob]
Congrats!!!

scored a 6.0 on my essay . My essay was not exceptional, more of a normal essay ..but guess there must have been something which the TOEFL people found worthy to gimme a 6.0

So what are the tricks here, dimitri? Could you say sth more about your experience to get that exceptional scores? Thank you in advance. [banana]

dimitri
09-26-2003, 04:52 PM
thanks !

abt my experience on the TOEFL ...I studied for just 2 days prior to my TOEFL Score . Not that i'm bragging here ...but I've been a native english speaker..so english was never a problem from me

Of the three sections , I found listening the toughest . It is kinda tough to maintain your concentration all thru the passage ..esp teh long ones . Takes a while to get used to it . I feel the quality of the passages on the barrons cassete is poor whereas Cambridge is good .

Abt the reading section , if u've given the GRE ...this has to be a cakewalk . Time is never going to be a factor on this section . There are two ways in which people go abt it :
1. Take your own sweet time ...read the passage 2-3 times ...understand every sentence and make sure you answered the questions correctly .In this ...u follow the read ..answer ..forget abt it ..approach

2. the 2 time approach : Skim thru the passage ...keeping in mind the important details . Read teh questions ...see if you can answer them ...if not go back to the passage and try and find them . This is usually faster than the first method and u'll have abt 10 mins left to check and verify your answers in case of a doubt .
here ...u follow the ..read - answer --i might/will come back to verify ...method .

abt the structure section ...i dont know if this rule works for all or not . What I follow is ...if the sentence sounds correct ..it is RIGHT .
Never bothered to remember any of the grammar rules ...!
If you are uncomfortable with the english language ...go thru a grammar book or read up on the structure section in barrons . Its quite comprehensive .
Now if you are comfortable speaking english fluently ...u should not have trouble with this .

Essays ...i just wrote one using my natural style of writing . Did'nt bother to use any flowery language . The focus was more on content , structure and organisation . All said n done ...the bottomline is you have to answer the question with relevant points .
TM has an excellent collection on essays in the archives ...go thru it if you can .

Hope this helps ...any queries ...would be glad to answer them !

Cheers !

DreamsComeTrue
09-27-2003, 08:56 AM
Hi dimitri. :)

First thing first: thanks so much for spending your time for test-takers-to-be like us.

abt my experience on the TOEFL ...I studied for just 2 days prior to my TOEFL Score . Not that i'm bragging here ...but I've been a native english speaker..so english was never a problem from me
Yeah, that si a very good fortune of you. :p

Of the three sections , I found listening the toughest . It is kinda tough to maintain your concentration all thru the passage ..esp teh long ones . Takes a while to get used to it .
Me the same, besides TWE. Concentration is my worst weakness. As a result if I were completely absorbed everything would be just fine ==>
I often miss the answers on part A.

In this ...u follow the read ..answer ..forget abt it ..approach

Lol. Is this a new trick, dimitri? :D

abt the structure section ...i dont know if this rule works for all or not . What I follow is ...if the sentence sounds correct ..it is RIGHT .
Never bothered to remember any of the grammar rules ...!
If you are uncomfortable with the english language ...go thru a grammar book or read up on the structure section in barrons . Its quite comprehensive .
No wonder because you are a native speaker. [dance]

Did'nt bother to use any flowery language . The focus was more on content , structure and organisation . All said n done ...the bottomline is you have to answer the question with relevant points .
I will follow it, dimitri. :p

All in all, thanks a again for your kindness. All the best for your upcoming events. [goodjob][banana]

P/s: I love your name, dimitri, but wonder about its meaning. ?

ro68hteqhd3
09-29-2003, 06:02 AM
question:
why native english speaker need to take the toefl??
????