PDA

View Full Version : * 290 on 11th Sep. Tips and Comments!!

MoizManji
09-11-2003, 04:43 AM
Hi Erin and the rest,

I scored 223-290 on my TOEFL test today. The brekdown is:
Listening: 2030
Structure: 12-29
Reading: 28

The reading score came abit of surprise as I was expecting to get full in that and score lesser in listening section (as had been the case in my practice exams) but, the real test turned out to be different. I had naver been able to get full in listening. Guess I was lucky ;)

BTW, I would be posting some tips later in the day so you guys should check in!

An Min
09-11-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by An Min

[quote]Originally posted by MoizManji

Hi Erin and the rest,

Listening: 20 30
Congratulations!![goodjob]

wood
09-11-2003, 10:14 AM
Congrats MoizManji!!! Good job...!

Definitely post any tips or hints valuable to anyone out here!! :D

Cheers! Wood

kirting
09-11-2003, 01:20 PM
Hi! MoizManji,

Congratulations!!!![goodjob]

Any tips or experience to share with us?

Best wishes,
Kirting:D

philipskaren
09-11-2003, 02:58 PM
hey woods ,
do we need to do more vocab in here or the vocab of GRE would suffice.

MoizManji
09-11-2003, 05:17 PM

[quote]Originally posted by MoizManji

Hi Erin and the rest,

Listening: 20 30
Congratulations!![goodjob]

Oh yes.. a typo... Got 30 in Listening.

MoizManji
09-11-2003, 05:37 PM
Hi Everyone,

First of all some experiences (i will write tips alter on after school):

There is no need to reach test center that early. 15 minutes is adequate enough. Besides, you could expect that your test WONT start at the exact time. It could be abt 5-10 minutes late. I reached my center at about 8:45 for test at 9 am (a bit early but good enough). I started my test at about 9:15.

DO NOT TAKE ALOT OF MONEY, CREDIT CARDS, EXPENSIVE WATCHES ETC. You will be required to give them up before giving the test and are not allowed to take them out even during the 5 minute (short) break.

DO NOT take any sweets, chewing gum etc. on hope that test administrator would allow you to eat it inside. He wont or better not take it in.

It would be good enough if you try Powerprep software specially the tutorials on using a mouse and scrolling. It could be a good time saver and, could reduce your anxiousness. I found it really annoying that I had to take the 3 cumpolsary tutorials. I think they also should be optional.

Practice atleast 2 PowerPrep tests and, give atleast a couple of tests u find in text book. Powerprep could be helpful in seeing the exact environment that you will encounter and, make you use to sitting 3 hours in front of a compiter giving tests. TOEFL Sample tests on book could help you correct your weak points in mostly structure section but could also help in other sections.

Lastly, make sure that you make your hair correctly and if possible shave because your picture will be taken and that too without your glasses, to all those people who wear glasses - BEWARE.

Apart from that, the test was rather easy. The audio in TOEFL exam was fare too better than that in PowerPrep. Make sure you dont lose your attention during those lectures (a problem which I constantly had to encounter). I know you could encounter some boring topics like Biology, Chemistry or Anthropology for a commerce student but still.... you have to answer the questions.

The Strucure section was relatively difficult than those at sample TOEFL paper. It could be because the test was CAD or, maybe I got myself confused on some questions that could be pronounced correctly but, was slang in English!

Reading (which should have been the most easiest of all the sections) had some confusing questions. This was even exaggerated by the fact that I was too eager to finish the test and see my score. Still, I went over almost each questions twice to see if they were correct. I am still confused how I got 28. My reading was better than listening. Anyways, you guys should keep in mind that you have adequate time to finish this section so, read and answer carefully.

I was lucky to get an easier topic inessay. Although it wasnt the one I had prepared for read in TestMagic, I quicjkly jotted down the points and typed the essay in almost 15 minutes. In the remaining time, I improvised on my beginning and made spelling corrections. Then, since I had enough time left, I counted the words (or was it before correction) and then, started praying.

Eventually, the result was out. ETS does a stupid thing by twice asking whether to send scores or not. One should be enough. Infact, i think there should not be an option like this. You may send to other institutions that would accept lower TOEFL scores but should not have th eoption to cancel it.

I GUESS THATS IT. Finally i'm over with it. I started studying TOEFL for real from 1st September. Taking atleast a practice test each day, i completd atleast 6 full exams and atleast 10 structure section (as that was th emost difficult for me) and now, I could relax. Wonder how did I get a 'C' in GEC O Levels??!!

kreddy
09-13-2003, 04:14 PM
Hi All,

really i dont know whether i can post here or not. But this is my first post. So kindly excuse me if i am wrong. Coming to the post, i have a question for you. Its about the CBT pattern of GRE, TOEFL testing strategy. I am giving my TOEFL and GRE next month.
I would like to hear any issues on the Computer Adaptive Testing Strategies particularly about the way we have to tackle the questions, level's of difficulties etc.

One of my friend suggested recently to devote more time on the first 5 to 10 questions.

If this is fine, then Is this ment for each and every section ? Or only the starting of the first section of the test ? Any difference between Toefl & GRE in this regard ?

May be its very fundamental,easy and infantile question. But i will greatly appreciate if you can reply with some thing which can help me in the cruise.

Krishna Reddy K
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MoizManji
09-16-2003, 12:20 PM
TOEFL test r compuiter adaptive so, your reply to previous question determines the difficulty of next question (for listening and structure). Reading questions carries equal marks so, I think u should focus on all questions!

MoizManji
09-24-2003, 03:29 AM
Could anyone tell me how long it will take to recieve my result in Pakistan??!!

thaiva
09-24-2003, 11:11 PM
Hey MoizManji,:)

I think that in Pakistan it takes a couple of weeks to get results back but that may variey slightly.

By the way Congradt's,

Best Wishes,

Tim

MoizManji
09-26-2003, 07:33 AM
Thanks thavia but I dont think giving TOEFL early for benificial for me as NZ universioties have refused to accept me with provisional A Level results :(

DreamsComeTrue
09-28-2003, 10:56 AM
Hi Moizmanji :)

Hi Everyone,

First of all some experiences (i will write tips alter on after school):

There is no need to reach test center that early. 15 minutes is adequate enough. Besides, you could expect that your test WONT start at the exact time. It could be abt 5-10 minutes late. I reached my center at about 8:45 for test at 9 am (a bit early but good enough). I started my test at about 9:15.

DO NOT TAKE ALOT OF MONEY, CREDIT CARDS, EXPENSIVE WATCHES ETC. You will be required to give them up before giving the test and are not allowed to take them out even during the 5 minute (short) break.

DO NOT take any sweets, chewing gum etc. on hope that test administrator would allow you to eat it inside. He wont or better not take it in.

It would be good enough if you try Powerprep software specially the tutorials on using a mouse and scrolling. It could be a good time saver and, could reduce your anxiousness. I found it really annoying that I had to take the 3 cumpolsary tutorials. I think they also should be optional.

Practice atleast 2 PowerPrep tests and, give atleast a couple of tests you find in text book. Powerprep could be helpful in seeing the exact environment that you will encounter and, make you use to sitting 3 hours in front of a compiter giving tests. TOEFL Sample tests on book could help you correct your weak points in mostly structure section but could also help in other sections.

Lastly, make sure that you make your hair correctly and if possible shave because your picture will be taken and that too without your glasses, to all those people who wear glasses - BEWARE.

Apart from that, the test was rather easy. The audio in TOEFL exam was fare too better than that in PowerPrep. Make sure you dont lose your attention during those lectures (a problem which I constantly had to encounter). I know you could encounter some boring topics like Biology, Chemistry or Anthropology for a commerce student but still.... you have to answer the questions.

The Strucure section was relatively difficult than those at sample TOEFL paper. It could be because the test was CAD or, maybe I got myself confused on some questions that could be pronounced correctly but, was slang in English!

Reading (which should have been the most easiest of all the sections) had some confusing questions. This was even exaggerated by the fact that I was too eager to finish the test and see my score. Still, I went over almost each questions twice to see if they were correct. I am still confused how I got 28. My reading was better than listening. Anyways, you guys should keep in mind that you have adequate time to finish this section so, read and answer carefully.

I was lucky to get an easier topic inessay. Although it wasnt the one I had prepared for read in TestMagic, I quicjkly jotted down the points and typed the essay in almost 15 minutes. In the remaining time, I improvised on my beginning and made spelling corrections. Then, since I had enough time left, I counted the words (or was it before correction) and then, started praying.

Eventually, the result was out. ETS does a stupid thing by twice asking whether to send scores or not. One should be enough. Infact, I think there should not be an option like this. You may send to other institutions that would accept lower TOEFL scores but should not have th eoption to cancel it.

I GUESS THATS IT. Finally i'm over with it. I started studying TOEFL for real from 1st September. Taking atleast a practice test each day, I completd atleast 6 full exams and atleast 10 structure section (as that was th emost difficult for me) and now, I could relax. Wonder how did I get a 'C' in GEC O Levels??!!

Thanks so much for your info and advice. [banana]

Thanks thavia but I dont think giving TOEFL early for benificial for me as NZ universioties have refused to accept me with provisional A Level results :(
I'm sorry to hear so, MoizManji. But you can always fulfil your dreams by your great score. [banana]

BTW, I just cannot make sense of "provisional A Level results". To tell you the truth, it is the first time I have heard of that. ?

MoizManji
09-28-2003, 12:49 PM
Hey Dreams,
firstly, Thanks. I dont think TOEFL is of great importance to get admission in good univ. I believe SAts r more important... boy if could get this type of score in SAT, I would b applying at Ivy League Universities :) But...

P.S: Provisional A Level result (or for any other result) is what your school expects the rades you would recieve. you would require these grades if you require admission for Undergrad. This is because you should get admission before the results are recieved and so, provisional report is sent.

MoizManji
10-13-2003, 06:11 AM
Hi guys

Although I was hoping to post a message with my final scores, but I havent recieved it as yet.... this is making me worry.... I gave my test on 11th september and now its more than one month.... What should I do now??

Pls reply soon!!!

-- Moiz Manji

wood
10-13-2003, 10:41 AM
Call them!!! They say you can call after the 14th day if you haven't received a notice!

Good luck!

Wood

Dori
11-18-2003, 04:58 AM
Hi MoizManji,

u got 28 on reading part, could you tell me the dificult level of this part in the real test?
Thanks
Dori

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Erin and the rest,

Listening: 2030

The reading score came abit of surprise as I was expecting to get full in that and score lesser in listening section (as had been the case in my practice exams) but, the real test turned out to be different. I had naver been able to get full in listening. Guess I was lucky ;)

BTW, I would be posting some tips later in the day so you guys should check in!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - MoizManji on 2003 Oct 13 01:16:23

MoizManji
11-19-2003, 02:21 PM
Hi Dori

I think Reading is rather easy as compared to Listening. The major difficulty you will find is when finding synonyms of words. Sometimes, the words r too alike each other and is a difficult distinction to make.

Another difficulty you will find in Reading section is explaining the purpose of the text...something like What is the main topic about.... the problem is that a text has different type of closely linked topics.

Apart from that, if you dont lose your concentration then all will be fine. I think I had mentioned before also, I at first read the whole text, then readsome initial questions which gave me an idea on wht is being asked and then, read again paying attention to details.

If you have time (which I am sure you will), try checking the answers again although I think it will b a tough job.

Hope this helps

-- Moiz Manji

MoizManji
11-19-2003, 02:31 PM
Hello

After 3 and a half months of anticipation, desperation and waiting, I have finally recieved my TOEFL result.... Final score: 290 essay 6.0

:D

uz
12-23-2003, 01:08 AM
CONGRATS MOIZ MANJI.
I'm also originally from Pakistan. Its nice to know about your result.
Wish you good luck :-)

akhan
02-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Hi guys!

What is the minimum acceptable lenght of essay in Toefl??? How many words?

MoizManji
02-15-2004, 08:44 AM
Hi akhan

There is no fixed length in TOEFL essay but genreally it is good to write between 350-450 words. Lesser than this would be too short and you would leave out some important points. More than this increases the probability of spelling or gramatical errors!

sunxcat
02-15-2004, 11:19 AM
hey akhan !
there isnt any limitations on the length. but, generally they prefer u to hav 4-6 five or six line paras. most ppl hav it as 5 paras-1 intro para, 3 paras on the topic, 1 for conclusion. but, this is not a strict rule as such. I gav my TOEFL essay with jus 3 paras, but got a 6 :) !!

and Moiz...u got yur score after three n a half months ??!!!!! crazy man !! u should hav felt so good when u got it ! Congrats !!! thtz a very good score !