PDA

View Full Version : GRE General Test *NOT* cancelled in India

shyam
06-29-2002, 04:30 PM
It seems ETS has cancelled the GRE computer science test in india is it true ?? Is there any chance of doing the same thing to General test ??

raghuveer_v
09-01-2002, 03:00 PM
Hi Friend!

Do not worry. See the following links ...

Security Breaches Force GRE Board to Cancel Computer Science Test Administrations

Princeton, N.J. (Aug. 26, 2002) -- An investigation revealing improper sharing of questions from the GRE Computer Science Subject Test by students in China, including Hong Kong, and India has resulted in the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) Board instructing ETS to cancel administration of the test in these countries and limit administration worldwide. Read the details:

Press Release: http://www.ets.org/news/02082602.html

Q&A
http://www.ets.org/news/grecsqa.html

See also this ...

Paper-Based GRE General Test Returning to Parts of Asia

In response to security breaches, Educational Testing Service (ETS) will temporarily suspend the computer-based GRE General Test and reintroduce paper-based versions in China, including Hong Kong; Taiwan; and Korea, beginning October 1, 2002.

Press Release:
http://www.ets.org/news/02072301.html

As some other member of this site would say,.... "DON'T BELIEVE THE RUMOR" :)

Wish you, all the best.

shyam
09-01-2002, 04:00 PM
Thanks a lot Raghuveer Well i was just impressed by ur GRE score..well i want know where u r right now ???(U.S or India)

raghuveer_v
09-03-2002, 04:05 PM
I am in India, my friend.

Erin
09-12-2002, 02:16 PM
Hi Raghuveer!! Long time no "see!!"

Yes, I have to agree with Raghuveer, as I've never heard anything about India. ETS has said specifically which countries are affected (China, HK, Taiwan, S Korea).

Furthermore, I don't think the sharing of questions after the test is such a big problem in India. From all the various discussion groups I've seen, Indians tend to discuss in English (making it more difficult to hide "illicit" conversations) and tend NOT to divulge test questions.

So I don't think you need to worry, unless of course you know something I don't know!

raghuveer_v
09-12-2002, 03:54 PM
Hi Erin,

Actually, ETS has said something about India too in the firt aritlce i have referred to. It's only regarding the GRE Subject Test (Computer Science) and Not the General Test, unlike what "Shyam" was worrying about.

I am sure there's no large scale disclosement of actual GRE test questions here in our country.

It's only that certain people personally enquire and obtain one or two questions from others who have written the test at the same CBT center a few days before. Especially, this is in the form of collecting small vocabulary lists of words actually appearing on the test. The degree to which this affects the score is anybody's guess, and whether we can call it 'unfair' is debatable, I suppose.

shyam
09-20-2002, 05:45 AM
Hi Erin
how r u ?? Yesterday i have taken GRE general test and I made big mess of everything..My score was 1550.. Now iam planning to take new pattern in jan 2003 ...Is it really worth taking GRE second time ??
Can u pls tell me which score will be considered ???

raghuveer_v
09-21-2002, 04:42 PM
Shyam my friend,

I'm sure Erin would be as happy as ever to answer your query.

But I suggest you post this question under a new thread, so that others can follow and benefit from the discussion.

iconoclast
09-22-2002, 09:16 AM
Hi there!!The GRE General Test has not been cancelled in India.The subject test (Computer Science) has been cancelled though.This info can be confirmed by visiting the official GRE website:www.gre.org

Erin
09-22-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by shyam

Hi Erin
how r u ?? Yesterday i have taken GRE general test and I made big mess of everything..My score was 1550.. Now iam planning to take new pattern in jan 2003 ...Is it really worth taking GRE second time ??
Can u pls tell me which score will be considered ???Well, my standard advice in your case would be to take the test again.

And Raghuveer is right; it'd be more beneficial for all of us if you could post this different question under a different thread.

Erin
09-24-2002, 11:00 PM
I just found this info on the the GRE site. It's a "clarification" of the "rumors" that the GRE General Test was cancelled in India:

http://www.ets.org/news/02091301.html