PDA

View Full Version : I'm new here, i could use a little advice on the verbal plea

PradeepLR
09-13-2003, 06:59 AM
Hi, I am new to test magic. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the verbal section on the GRE. I use the Kaplan GRE verbal workout book, the ARCO GRE prep book, and the Barrons 9th ed. book. I like the Barrons the best, and so i use it more often than the others. I rarely pick up the ARCO book. Anyways, when i do the problems in the Barrons book, i am pretty consistent, and get around 50% of the questions correct. But, the thing is that when I look at the problems i missed, it is always the same routine. for nearly 90% of the questions i got wrong, I am able to eliminate 3-2 of the answer choices, most of the time it is 3, so i am left with 2 choices. The correct one, and the incorrect one. As i said, 90% of the time I choose the incorrect one. The problems I need to eliminate on are the ones I do not know the answer straight from looking at the choices. So anyways, This is my problem, I was wondering if anyone had a good technique to eliminate my bad guessing when it comes down to the last two choices. I appreciate any and all input, thanks again for your help.

Pradeep

eagle
09-13-2003, 10:39 PM
Hi Pradeep,
From how long have you been studying? My guess is that not very long- since I was like that at the start. Get a reasonable hold on the wordlist in Barron's and stay cool- you will definitely do better.
Also, go through the Princeton Review for GRE from some library- the have good tips on the 'process of elimination'. But, frankly, I dont know which is harder ,learning the lists or learning their techniques:). But like I was saying- they have a good technique there.
And keep practising-Barron's is a great book- IMO.
Best of Luck.

PradeepLR
09-14-2003, 06:42 AM
Yeah, i've been studyin for probably about a month now. Thanks for the advice, i'll check out princetons book, and keep practicing. Thanks again

Pradeep.

Psyoutlaw
09-15-2003, 01:11 PM
Memorize Barron's Words list and Guru's word lists. Once you have them memorized, review them every week. If you do not keep refreshing, then you will only rememer some clearly and others you will have forgotten or not be 100% sure of their definition. Once you memorize the words, then practice A LOT.