PDA

View Full Version : Toefl Speaking Or Tse?

Cheska
02-18-2007, 09:49 AM
hi,have a question for those who took both the TSE and TOEFL IBT, which is easier TSE or TOEFL speaking part?
Thanks.

srilak
02-19-2007, 02:46 AM
:2cents:

I practised for both the tsets. I didn't pass(getting 50) Tse. However, now I feel TSE is much easier than the actual Toefl Ibt speaking. In Tse, we have some kind of format for 9 quetions. But, in toefl ibt we don't have such format and the difficult part is we have to combined skills in integrated part.

Anyway,now ETS is going to remove TSE exam after March 2007 so now it is unnecessary to debate on which exam is easier. If we want to move on with our life we have to take this exams untill we get our required scores.

This is my opinion.

Best of luck.

Cheska
02-20-2007, 06:14 AM
Thank you for your reply. In IBT speaking, do we need to be fluent in our answer? I have heard from ets cd their high level response contains words like uhm, some pauses. But from the TSE, I think to get a 50 , we should be fluent and with the intonation and should have no pauses except after each sentence.

Tino
02-24-2007, 01:36 AM
WRONG! The TSE scoring manual (written to train scorers, which I have read!) specifically states that the highest scores should be reserved for speakers who speak in a natural and relaxed (ie: native) manner. It specifically says to listen for pauses such as "umm" and "ah" as examples of native speaker behavior!

A native speaker of any language does not (in normal speech) speak in perfect intonation with perfect timing and without pauses.

IBT is scored the same as TSE as far as I can tell, though perhaps a little less strictly that TSE.

Tino

Cheska
02-25-2007, 10:22 AM
thanks tino.