PDA

View Full Version : 210 - 267 on 13th September 2003

zulfinho
09-13-2003, 08:16 PM
Hi all,

I just want to share my experience in TOEFL test. I got...

Listening: 27
Structure - Writing: 11 - 29
Reading: 24

Now, I am hoping and praying to get 5 in writing to get atleast 250 :) If not I may have to retake TOEFL test. What do you think guys? Oh yeah... thank you for TestMagic [tm], this is the one stop test solution for all of us, I opens it almot every day.

As for some tips, all I can say is stay focus and control your anxiety. Listening section was harder than I thought. It has 49 questions, ussually I only listen to about 20 to 30 questions on listening. One of the mistake I've made was I change the volume that was provided on the test to the loudest, but I didn't change the volume on the headphone... stupid! [xx(] So, I listen almost half of the listening test with relatively soft sound than I ussually listen.

For the structure, you have to race with time. Around 20 minutes, if I'm not mistaken for 25 questions. I happened to use all the time to complete this section. Oh... yes, the test is increasingly difficult on 5 to 10 first questions. I think that's what the CAT is all about. As i got a bit harder question than the previous number. Once you got to that mark, the questions remain with the same difficulty level.

The reading part I think is the easiest part of all, but I got the lowest score in this part :crazy: You have 70 minutes or so to complete this section, I finish answering all the question in just 50 minutes or so. So I have 20 minutes to recheck all my questions, but I guess my second opinion was not so sharp afterall... :D

For the essay, I got essay of comparing two different things. I spent about 5 minutes figuring out some ideas, then use 20 minutes to write. I still have 5 minutes to proof read what I wrote. In the end I'm still not satisfied with I have wrote.

One last tips... Hmm, manage your time wisely. I practice using Barron's just by answering all the questions there, but not simulating the time. If it is possible use stopwatch to get a real test situation.

That's all for me, wish me luck on GRE! :spidey:

kreddy
09-14-2003, 03:26 AM
Hi,

Thats pretty nice score infact. It will be extremely useful to us if you can elaborate on the "hard" part of listening section, which you are describing. How is the structure ? what material, you have followed for Structure. How many days you have taken for your TOEFL. Finally what do you think about the relative low score in reading section ? What do you suggest us to improve in this section with referrence to your experience at the real TOEFL exam.

Krishna , India
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

zulfinho
09-14-2003, 06:02 AM
Hi Khrisna,

For me, the hardest part of the listening section was listening to a scientific lecture. We have to memorize every technical detail of the lecture.

For the structure section, I study Barron's. I read all the explanations there, but could not memorize all the patterns there. I spent about 3 weekends studying TOEFL. I work as a software engineer, so I cannot study during the weekdays. But i suggest you to at least do simple exercises during weekdays then the big test on each weekend. That way we won't loose our touch on the questions ;)

About the reading comprehension... beats me? I don't know why I got such a low score. Maybe i missed on where to put the right sentence to the passage.

MoizManji
09-14-2003, 12:18 PM
Hi Zulfikar

Lucky u... U got an easier topic in the essay... that i had practicres and was hoping to get it inthe test but didnt :(

Anyways, u should NOT tell any one about the questions coz u have signed a confidential agreement...and might land u in trouble!

Still, hope u get 250... was one in which u could write alot!

BTW, Y did u face problem with technical details. U r a software engineer and hsould know science. Guys like me who havent studied science should face problem and, I did.

GOOD LUCK!

zulfinho
10-08-2003, 12:58 PM
Hi all,

I finally received my official score. It turns out to be 260, with essay rating 5.0.
Thanks for all the support, guys.

TOEFL down, GRE to go...

Cheers,

Zulfikar Dharmawan