PDA

View Full Version : Strategic Decision Release

Econ07
02-28-2007, 02:22 AM
Today, I have heard a rumor that the big players might be holding their decisions strategically. There were some complaints that in previous years some benefited from waiting for the decisions of other departments, especially to prepare their funding offers. Do you believe there might be some extra delay this year due to that? Or is this non-sense?

weirdo
02-28-2007, 02:27 AM
Today, I have heard a rumor that the big players might be holding their decisions strategically. There were some complaints that in previous years some benefited from waiting for the decisions of other departments, especially to prepare their funding offers. Do you believe there might be some extra delay this year due to that? Or is this non-sense?

haha......the adcoms must know about how to "play" these games..

Prometheus_Econ
02-28-2007, 02:29 AM
A while back John List started a thread where he wanted to know our fellowship offers in detail. :hmm:

apropos
02-28-2007, 02:30 AM
What's the big deal about funding offers anyways? Do people choose between Yale and Princeton based on a $3,000 difference in stipends?

apropos
02-28-2007, 02:32 AM
A while back John List started a thread where he wanted to know our fellowship offers in detail. :hmm:

So, anyone who posts there is helping U of Chicago steal top applicants from other schools :D.

j/k

commodore
02-28-2007, 02:40 AM
If everything else is equal, then yeah, $3000 could be a tiebreaker. I think if I found anything at all to distinguish the schools, though, that would weigh more heavily than the money.

Mobil
02-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Is there a truthful way for big departments to get informed about other offers?

TheBrothersKaramazov
02-28-2007, 05:57 PM
After turning down an offer last year, a department sent me an e-mail enquiring about the other funding offers that I had received. Their intention was to be more competitive the following year.

Corneconomics
02-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Its kinda the opposite of TheBrothersKaramazov, but I sent emails asking why I was rejected to some of the schools that rejected me last year... I didn't get any responces : (

kartelite
02-28-2007, 08:47 PM
I think you should have asked for the profiles of all admitted applicants.