PDA

View Full Version : at T+03:00:00... TOEFL 297. Essay 6.0!! WOW!!!!!!!

raghuveer_v
07-02-2002, 02:08 PM
<h4> Hai !!! :) </h4>

I took the TOEFL just now and here's my score...

Listening : 30
Structure/Writing : 13 ~ 29
Reading : 30

TOTAL : 243 ~ 297

Essay Topic :

#160 When people need to complain about a product or poor service, some prefer to complain in writing and others prefer to complain in person. Which way do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

I had a good nights sleep.

I reviewed all the grammar points in CLIFF's guide on the day before the exam. This helped me remember many points that have evapourated from my volatile memory. (But, I didn't actively/consciously apply any of these points in my actual test, though)

I went to the testing center at T-01:30:00 and was admitted immediately. So, I was out of the center at T+02:00:00.

Order of tutorials,sections and breaks:

Mouse and CBT tutorial
Tutorial - How to answer listening
Listening
1 minute break
Tutorial - How to answer structure
Structure
5 minute break
Tutorial - How to answer reading
Reading
1 minute break
[Type or handwrite your essay?]
Tutorial - How to answer writing
Writing
[cancel score?]
Report of scores
[cancel score?]
[cancel score?]
Designate 4 colleges to receive your score report
[gather all your belongings and get the hell outta here! I've been enough polite for your 130$]

Each section has a tutorial about how to answer that particular section. So, even if there is apparently only 60 second break between sections, you can relax during these tutorials.

Workin thhrough each and every tutorial helped me adjust to the conditions well, especially the first tutorial

Listening

I got 49 questions !!!

I got a comfortable pair of headphones with a physical volume adjustment knob. Even though I never used it, It being there gave me a lot of peace of mind.

All the conversations were easy to follow and understand.

The questions in part A were a bit longer than what we actually hear in PowerPrep and other ETS material.

Some questions in Part B were long conversations with only 2 questions on them.

I didn't remember when I went from Part B to Part C.

I finished with about 11 minutes or so remaining.

Structure

20 questions in 15 minutes.

I finished with 6 minutes remaining.

Many questions were based on "inversion" and "singular/plural"

I thought I did all of them ccorrectly.

But my score speaks .... I did atleast one of them wrong.

I felt some 2 or 3 questions were kinda difficult but after thinking for a while, I got that "A-ha!" flash and I thought I was correct.
I'll never know...

Reading

4 passages x 11 questions each = 44 questions in 70 minutes

But the directions said each passage may contain 11 to 14 questions.

I took only 25 minutes or so.

All passages were quite small and all were based on American history/economy/industry/literature.

Writing

I did the writing tutorial and even composed a small funny paragraph in the tutorial.

TOPIC #160:

When people need to complain about a product or poor service, some prefer to complain in writing and others prefer to complain in person. Which way do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

(very roughly the same) ESSAY:

At times people need to complain about a product thay purchased or used or about the poor quality of service they received. There are two ways to lodge a complaint - in writing or in person. Each has its own advantages and disadvantaes. In some cases, one of them might be the only way possible. But, whenever possible, I would prefer to lodge any complaints that I might have in person.

Complaining in writing has the advantage that there is a written record that the complaint has been registered, which might even be a necessity in certain cases. For example, If we want to complain a bout the quality of a food product, we are required to send a product sample, along with a written complaint from the consumer, and also the exact details of the place and date of purchase. Other than that, It may be required in cases where it is difficult to complain in person or there is a possiblity of adverse effects of complaining in person. For example, a student who wishes to complain about the poor quality of education ( which is also kind of service ) delivered by a lecturer, might want to hide his identity so that he may protect himself from future harassment or acts of revenge from that professor.

Complaining in person has its own advantages. First and foremost of which is that it ensures that immediate attention is paid to the problem. The person concerned with taking the complaints is answerable to the one who complains and is obliged to initiate immediate action towards solving the problem.

Apart from the above, It also give the person who wants to complain, a chance to explain his problem clearly. Communication which may take anywhere from a few days to months if carried out through correspondence, will be over in a matter of minutes. In certain cases, the problem itself will be solved within minutes. For example, one of my friends once bought a camera and when he took it home he couldn't use it. He thought that the piece he bought was not working properly and immediately went back to the store to complain. The person at the store took a look at the problem. He explained to my friends that it was a new type of camera and taught him how to use it.

Thus, complaints should be made in person whenever the situation permits. This ensures that immediate attention is paid to the problem, which inturn produces faster results.

Huff!
Almost like what I typed there!

I had no time to proof read my essay. Hope there aren't many typos. I made sure I clicked on "next" and "confirm" with 10 seconds to go.

I will post the exact score as soon as I get it.

That's my story

<h4>The Beginning</h4>
"Today is the first day of the rest of your life."

Edited by - raghuveer_v on 2002 Jul 02 09:19:14

raghuveer_v
07-02-2002, 02:45 PM
And Erin, and all other friends,....

Hope I could say something new or better. For the lack of a better way,...

THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING

Raghuveer

mnimr
07-02-2002, 02:46 PM
" made sure I clicked on "next" and "confirm" with 10 seconds to go." what do u mean ,when i took the TOEFL I didnt click on those buttons in the essay section i just waited for the time to expire.May this have affected my score?

Thanks

raghuveer_v
07-02-2002, 02:58 PM
I have read somewhere that the Essay is automatically saved when the time expires. I just didn't want to take that risk. The Writing tutorial didn't say anything about this feature, though.

If you already got your score, nothing to worry.

Even if not, I don't think you should worry. Your essay will be, in all probability, be saved and scored.

Raghuveer.

raghuveer_v
07-02-2002, 04:28 PM
And Erin, would you please perform an autopsy on my TOEFL essay...

Erin
07-02-2002, 05:31 PM
Yes, you can be sure that I'll get back to you on it.

I've got to look at a couple of other posts, though, that I've been are looking oh-so-lonely with their "0 replies" staring me right in the face... :(

Amitha
07-02-2002, 07:53 PM
Hi Raghuveer,

COngratulations!!!!
You are amazing .Your range is between 243 and 297 .I am sure you'll get a 6 inyour essay.The test is only out of 300.I'm glad that your score did not cross 300.(which looks highly possible in your case)http://www.testmagic.com/images/animated_gifs/smile_rolling.gif

BTW,Have you given your GRE/GMAT or you yet to give it??

CONGRATULATIONS once again!!

[goodjob]

Amitha

dstrauber
07-02-2002, 08:52 PM
Raghuveer,

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!
You were amazing ...your score is really great !!!!
For how long have you learned for the Toefl test ?
You did a great job! Are you relieved now that you took the test?
Now take a little vacation and rest a bit .
:D

You deserve it !!!! Now I must put Spidey to dance in your honour !

http://www.testmagic.com/images/animated_gifs/spidey_dance.gif[dance]
[goodjob] Daniela

Erin
07-02-2002, 09:22 PM
First...

http://www.testmagic.com/images/animated_gifs/spidey_dance.gif

You are simply AWESOME!!!

Writing

I did the writing tutorial and even composed a small funny paragraph in the tutorial.
Why does this not surprise me???
http://www.testmagic.com/images/animated_gifs/smile_rolling.gif
hehehe...

Okay, let's have a look here...

TOPIC #160:

When people need to complain about a product or poor service, some prefer to complain in writing and others prefer to complain in person. Which way do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

(very roughly the same) ESSAY:

At times people need to complain about a product thay purchased or used or about the poor quality of service they received. There are at least two ways to lodge a complaint - in writing or in person. Each has its own advantages and disadvantaes. In some cases, one of them might be the only way possible. But, whenever possible, I would prefer to lodge any complaints that I might have in person.
Nice intro--short, simple, effective!

Complaining in writing has the advantage that there is a written record that the complaint has been registered, which might even be a necessity in certain cases. For example, If we want to complain a bout the quality of a food product, we are required to send a product sample, along with a written complaint from the consumer, and also the exact details of the place and date of purchase. Other than that, It may be required in cases where it is difficult to complain in person or there is a possiblity of adverse effects of complaining in person. For example, a student who wishes to complain about the poor quality of education ( which is also kind of service ) delivered by a lecturer, might want to hide his identity so that he may protect himself from future harassment or acts of revenge from that professor.
I couldn't have said it better myself! Great!

Writing also gives you time to think, to reflect, to compose your thoughts more effectively (so that you have a better chance of winning!!)

Complaining in person has its own advantages. First and foremost of which is that it ensures that immediate attention is paid to the problem. The person concerned with taking the complaints is answerable to the one who complains and is obliged to initiate immediate action towards solving the problem.
Wonderful!

Complaining in person can also help you to "blow off some steam" (get rid of your anger right away).

Apart from the above, It [it means what???] also give the person who wants to complain, a chance to explain his problem clearly. Communication which may take anywhere from a few days to months if carried out through correspondence, will be over in a matter of minutes. In certain cases, the problem itself will be solved within minutes. For example, one of my friends once bought a camera and when he took it home he couldn't use it. He thought that the piece he bought was not working properly and immediately went back to the store to complain. The person at the store took a look at the problem. He explained to my friends that it was a new type of camera and taught him how to use it.
Good example!

Thus, complaints should be made in person whenever the situation permits. This ensures that immediate attention is paid to the problem, which inturn produces faster results.
Excellent essay, Raghuveer! This is probably a 5.5, maybe even a 6.0, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Huff!
Almost like what I typed there!

I had no time to proof read my essay. Hope there aren't many typos. I made sure I clicked on "next" and "confirm" with 10 seconds to go.
So you took the whole 29:50 for the essay? I thought you were doing them in 24" to 26"...

Actually, this essay looks great. Few typos, good formatting, great grammar and vocab.

That's my story saga.

<h4>The Beginning</h4>
"Today is the first day of the rest of your life."

And what a beautiful life it will be... I am sure :content:

Erin

arti
07-03-2002, 01:41 AM
You are simply GREAT Raghuveer.
Surely an Awesome score.

All the Best for your future.

Arti Gupta

madhavi
07-03-2002, 10:46 AM
Hi Raghuveer

CONGRATS

[dance][dance][dance][dance][dance]

[goodjob][goodjob][goodjob][goodjob][goodjob]

So you have reached your destination in flying colors(do
you know this phrase?? ;) ;) )
I have still one month to be relieved.

Madhavi

mnimr
07-04-2002, 09:40 AM
"in CLIFF's guide on the " what is CLIFF's guide and where can I download it?

Thnaks

raghuveer_v
07-04-2002, 10:01 AM
"in CLIFF's guide on the " what is CLIFF's guide and where can I download it?

Thnaks

There is a book called the "CLIFF's TOEFL Test Preparation Guide" which is quite good.

You should be able to buy one in any decent bookstore.
If not, you may try to buy it in an online bookstore like www.amazon.com

It cannot be downloaded from any website.

Hope that Helps.

Raghuveer.

raghuveer_v
07-05-2002, 03:39 AM
And one more important thing I wanted to tell all you guys is...

When you type your essay on the screen, certain features which are common in most word processors are available but they are not told in the tutorial.

For example... these keyboard shortcuts might be handy for those who are familiar with Microsoft Word or other word processors:

ctrl + right arrow : next word
ctrl + left arrow : previous word
ctrl + delete : delete next word
ctrl + backspace : delete previous word

shift + arrow keys : highlight/select text
ctrl + shift + arrow keys : extend highlit to next/previous words

ctrl + insert : copy
shift + insert : paste

You can practice these keys in PowerPrep to get familiar with them. They are great time savers.

Hope that helps.

Raghuveer.

dstrauber
07-05-2002, 05:51 AM
Hello Raghuveer,

The features presented are very helpfull!!!
Thank you very much.

How are you these days ?

Have fun ! ;)

Erin
07-05-2002, 05:57 AM
Yeah, I've been wondering about one of my favorite shortcuts, CTRL+Z (undo), which works in many, many places, including this forum, IE text boxes and fields, etc., but I haven't gotten around to it...

Erin

harbinger
07-09-2002, 02:38 AM
Hi raghuveer,

Congratulation for your great accomplishment!

What an excellent student! I respect for what you achived.

I see your listening skill is very good. You got almost maximum points for that part.

I am not good at listening, so I will have to try my best to follow you.

How long did you prepare for TOEFL??? and You told us that you hadn't applied anything from TOEFL CLIFFs BOOK in your actual test, didn't you? Oh I am so disspointed, because, TOEFL CLIFFs BOOK is the main book I study to prepare for my coming test. Can you do me a favour by telling me what materials you used for TOEFL test??

Thanks in addvance.

Best regards,

Harbinger.

raghuveer_v
07-09-2002, 03:42 AM
Thank you,

Now,I should clarify what I meant when I said that I didn't "actively" apply anything from CLIFF's...

CLIFF's is really a nice book to follow. I have learnt many things - especially grammar points by studying it.

I completed the grammar exercises well before my actual test, and due to my poor memory, I forgot many of the "new" points. ("new" => things that were not natural to me or not part of my active vocabulary). Some others have been ingrained into my mind, so that when I see a sentence that violates a particular rule, I recognize the mistake, can suggest corrections, but can't state the rule though.

I read the CLIFF's before test day and refreshed these points.

In the actual test, I did not have to use these "new" points, as rules and formulas. I tackled each question based on something which called "intuition".

I read a scentence from the beginning and at the first (only) mistake, something in my brain triggers a signal saying "WRONG!!!"

Something like,.... a musicain hearing to a tune and being able to pick out any disharmony or note that's out of tune.

I think this approach will come to anyone naturally. Reading correctly written forms of english over the years tunes our brains to recognize "correctness" and "wrongness" almost intuitively.

HTH

Raghuveer

Edited by - raghuveer_v on 2002 Jul 08 22:47:37

rahul_k84
07-09-2002, 12:40 PM
Congratulations Raghuveer!!! You deserve it. You had worked very hard and got the fruits of your hardship. And how sweet the fruits are! You will definetly get admission in the college of your choice. By the way, since when have you been studying for the TOEFL? One year or more? Did you pass Class 10 and 12 in English medium or a vernacular medium? Congrats once again!

raghuveer_v
07-09-2002, 12:49 PM
Congratulations Raghuveer!!! You deserve it. You had worked very hard and got the fruits of your hardship. And how sweet the fruits are! You will definetly get admission in the college of your choice. By the way, since when have you been studying for the TOEFL? One year or more? Did you pass Class 10 and 12 in English medium or a vernacular medium? Congrats once again!

Thanks,

I have studied for TOEFL for, say, something less than two months. (not with dedicated attention, though. I had some more things to take care of at the same time.)

If you have taken the GRE (or GMAT, if that's the case) you will find TOEFL to be quite easy. Its only that some of us have no formal exposure to correct forms of essay writing here. That's where this website comes into the picture. Without this website, my essay would have been unimaginably worse.

I had my studies with english as the medium of instruction. But that was helpful only as far as good foundations in grammar.

All the best!

Raghuveer.

Erin
07-09-2002, 02:12 PM
CLIFF's is really a nice book to follow. I have learnt many things - especially grammar points by studying it. Yes, the Cliff's books are well known to be good guides for grammar basics. Their books are not updated, though, so they're best used for the fundamentals. BTW, Cliff's has been around for ages. As a kid, I remember hearing about "Cliff's notes."
I read a scentence from the beginning and at the first (only) mistake, something in my brain triggers a signal saying "WRONG!!!"

Something like,.... a musicain hearing to a tune and being able to pick out any disharmony or note that's out of tune.
In other words, you took the test like a native speaker.

This is essentially the difference between fluent and not fluent. People with a good amount of exposure to English (or whatever language we're talking about) would use their "ear" to answer questions; people with less exposure would rely more on rules.

Erin

dstrauber
07-09-2002, 06:21 PM
Hello Erin,

Long time I didn't hear from you!
How are you?
The idea with CONTROL+ Z is really great!
I didn't know here you can learn also word.
THIS IS THE BEST SITE EVER!!!!
I will recommend it to everyone!

Erin
07-12-2002, 01:33 PM
Hello Erin,

Long time I didn't hear from you!
How are you?
The idea with CONTROL+ Z is really great!
I didn't know here you can learn also word.

THIS IS THE BEST SITE EVER!!!!
I will recommend it to everyone!

Hehehe... I'm still around, just trying to get caught up on all these posts... I don't think I can answer them all, but I can try!!

BTW, I scanned a pic from Romania, but my scanner at TestMagic is so old that the quality is HORRIBLE--my black and white picture came out with purple lines all over it!!

So I'm going to scan it at home!!

Anyway, sorry for my diversion, I should try to keep this thread on topic, don't you think???

Erin

madhavi
07-17-2002, 09:03 AM
Hi Raghuveer
I heard that TOEFL software is different from the normal word processors.
Are the controls you said useful in the test?Did you used them in the test?
Please reply me.If they are useful for your help.They will be certainly useful for me.
again THANK YOU
madhavi

a user
07-17-2002, 11:48 AM
<h4> Hai !!! :) </h4>

I took the TOEFL just now and here's my score...

Listening : 30
Structure/Writing : 13 ~ 29
Reading : 30

TOTAL : 243 ~ 297

Wow!

[dance][dance]
Lee Shi

raghuveer_v
07-17-2002, 12:35 PM
Yes Madhavi,

the keyboard shortcuts I talked about work in TOEFL. you can check them out on PowerPrep.

BTW, Thanks Lee Shi

Raghuveer.
Mera Bharat Mahan!
(My India is great!)

Erin
07-17-2002, 02:17 PM
Wow!

[dance][dance]
Lee Shi

Hi Lee!!

I just have to ask... is eBay another site that you visit often???

Erin

a user
07-17-2002, 04:03 PM
Wow!

[dance][dance]
Lee Shi

Hi Lee!!

I just have to ask... is eBay another site that you visit often???

Erin

Nope, Erin,

Believe or not, EBay stole my idea!
I really hope this site will as famous as EBay someday, and Erin can be as rich as Bill Gates.

[dance][dance]
Lee Shi

a user
07-17-2002, 04:15 PM
<h6>I am waiting for the IPO for....</h6>
eTestMagic!

[dance][dance]
Lee Shi

Erin
07-23-2002, 07:25 PM
Raghuveer,

Nice to see you back! Important question: did you ever get your TOEFL essay score back? And thus your final score??? I think we're all dying, er... living :question: (just trying to be "PC," hehehehe) :question: to know how this TOEFL saga ends...

I guess you're nervous about your visa, too, huh?

Erin

madhavi
07-26-2002, 11:54 AM
Hi Raghuveer
We are waiting to know your essay score.
I want to know if you really used those controls in your actula test. In my test in the practice session, I tried those controls but I remember that they didn't work there. May be I was tensed and didn't observe well. But as far as I know those controls you said didn't work in the real test. (ctrl+delete)
Madhavi

raghuveer_v
07-27-2002, 03:43 PM
Well, I initially had a little problem with the TOEFL.

I rescheduled my TOEFL appointment and as I did not have a credit card, I used my friend's. He cancelled that card before the ETS deducted the rescheduling fee (or I thought so). When I mailed to ETS about this thing, I got a weird reply which made no sense. See..

Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 15:49:11 -0400
From: "TOEFL" <toefl@ets.org> | This is Spam | Add to Address Book
Subject: RE: APPT #: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: "'raghuveer_v@yahoo.com'" <raghuveer_v@yahoo.com>

Regarding your inquiry:

You will have to contact the Registration Center for information on
your rescheduled test date. ETS does not handle the registration process for TOEFL testing.

We hope this information is helpful.

If you write to us again, include all previous messages.
Thank you for contacting TOEFL

Visit our Web site at www.toefl.org
TOEFL Customer Service: 609-771-7100
TOEFL Fax number: 609-771-7500
mjh

TRACKING NUMBER: A00000809961-xxxxxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, Jun 25 2002 12:52 PM
To: toeflagent
Subject: RE: TOEFL 7/02 APPT #: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Sir,

Refer my previous correpondence (Tracking No. :
A00000809961-xxxxxxxxxxxx)

I have rescheduled my TOEFL appointment on 21st May 2002, using a
credit card. The $40 rescheduling fee has not yet been deducted from my credit card account.

The credit card is going to be discontinued from 29th June 2002. Please make sure that the $40 rescheduling fee is charged from my account before the above mentioned date. Otherwise, Please send me a payment slip for the fee and I will pay the fee through a demand draft.

Please inform me about what I should do.

Thanking you,

Raghuveer Varahagiri

Details:

NAME : RAGHUVEER VARAHAGIRI

DATE OF BIRTH : xxxxxxxxx

TOEFL CONFIRMATION NUMBER : xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

TOEFL APPOINTMENT : on Tuesday, July 02, 2002 at 6:00pm

TESTING SITE NUMBER : # 8919 , BANGALORE, INDIA

Now, what is this? Does he/she understand English?

Raghuveer.
Mera Bharat Mahan!
(My India is great!)

raghuveer_v
07-27-2002, 03:52 PM
Hai Everyone!

I got my official TOEFL score card today!

And my score is ...

Listening: 30
Structure/Writing: 29
Reading: 30

Total: 297
<h3>
Essay Score: 6.0 (Dedicated to Erin!!!)</h3>

There the saga ends ...

See you guys on the admissions' section ...

Bye!!!

You guys are really great! All the best for all your future Endeavours!

And,

Thank you, Erin!

as always,

Raghuveer.
Mera Bharat Mahan!
(My India is great!)

Erin
07-27-2002, 03:55 PM
W-0-W!
You are amazing, Raghuveer!!!!!!!!!!
[goodjob]
http://www.testmagic.com/images/animated_gifs/spidey_dance.gif[goodjob]

Erin

madhavi
07-28-2002, 10:37 AM
Hi Raghuveer

Again congrats!!!
As expected, you got the score you deserve!!

Best of luck in your future!!

[dance][dance]

Madhavi

Vaya
08-01-2002, 01:43 PM
There the saga ends ...

See you guys on the admissions' section ...

So saga doesn't end, just a new chapter begins .... :)

Erin
08-01-2002, 11:25 PM
Yep! See you in the Admissions Forum:

http://www.TestMagic.com/forum/default.asp?CAT_ID=20

Erin

a user
08-02-2002, 12:10 PM
Raghuveer

You are simply

amazing!

Now you can pick almost any school you want, I wish I can see you in Harvard campus.

[dance][dance]
Lee Shi

shyam29
03-08-2006, 05:43 AM
hey.... congratulations.. ur score is superb..
which books and CDs u refered for ur preparation..
r u giving GRE or GMAT.. have u got admission..