PDA

View Full Version : how much probability on gre?

rstr44
09-19-2003, 05:44 PM
I've noticed a lot of quite complicated probability questions circulating on the forum. I know the forum is used by both GRE and GMAT preppers, so I was wondering if the types of probability questions are similar on the two tests in terms of level of difficulty or how often they turn up. Should those studying the GRE give particularly more or less attention to difficult probability questions compared to GMAT people, or do both need to give the same attention to these? Any thoughts very welcome.

eagle
09-20-2003, 03:35 PM
Hey, someone please answer this question:-) I too have been tortured by the same doubts.. as to whether the probability questions making my nights sleepless are really going to come up on the GRE. Its nice to think once in a while on different problems but Id rather not worry if I dont have to.
Someone, please tell us whether probability is a part of the GRE.

rstr44
09-20-2003, 06:06 PM
Eagle, yeah, I too wonder how complicated the math problems are actually going to be. There are two competing myths: one is that the math is difficult, one is that it's simple. I've seen some of GRE test-prep and math review websites that have claimed that GRE math questions actually have very simple mathematical solutions, but that its the problem solving aspects that tend to trip people up - many questions contain irrelevant information, for example. Since you've always got a multiple choice of answers, you can always work by elimination and rule out obvious wrong answers. From working on GRE practice tests, some written and one of the PowerPrep tests, I tend to get mixed up most when 1) I've forgot a pretty basic formula, e.g. geometry, 2) I've cocked up basic arithmetic (the main reason!), or 3) I've got bamboozled by a long and wordy question, where there's more information than is needed, and failed to spot that it's actually a simple question disguised as a difficult one. My doubts are fueled by the thought that surely the GRE people don't want to see how able we are to multiply several 2 or 3 digit numbers quickly without mistakes (e.g. 35 x 34 x 33 x 32 x 31). But maybe I'm wrong.

rstr44
09-20-2003, 06:10 PM
P.s. I'm pretty sure probability questions could be in the pool of GRE questions, because probability is covered in the "official" math review. But what I'm wondering is whether what we need to know is the basic principles or how to figure out very complex probability questions, e.g. those involving combinations, permutations and/or very large numbers!

eagle
09-21-2003, 12:42 AM
I'm pretty sure that most of GRE math is pretty solveable- like you said- the main problem in solving quant is in our heads:-) Either a problem scares us or the solution scares us.:-) Either way, its when we stop thinking rationally that quant is a pain. We should definitely find out abt the probability...

Vinay
09-21-2003, 05:30 AM
when I gave GRE back in june, thr was a question 6-7 lines long :-(

it took me some time to read it (but solved in mere 30 secs.) and tht is really difficult as time flies. If one masters the technique to filter relevent info frm mass of stuff then those questions r easy.

but saying this is easier than doing it :-(

abt probability, I dont think they can ask long calculation stuff but yea tricky calculation will definately b thr.

pratts
09-21-2003, 12:20 PM
Well continuing with the probability part I would like to know whether Normal Distribution is part of GRE quants? since there was a qts. on it to my fren who gave GRE on 18th sep.
Also can any one tell me where I can find qts to practice on prob. and Stats.? Since BB doesnt hve much qts.
and also the level has increased a lot now compared to BB...
I hve my GRE on 8th Oct.
Thanx in Advance
pratts

pratts
09-23-2003, 02:03 PM
Plz... Reply to my query... I am waitin desparately since my GRE is around
pratts

eagle
09-23-2003, 09:35 PM
Sorry it took me so long-I was asking a friend and he did'nt reply for long.His suggested book is'Introduction to Probability and Statistics by P.L. Meyer.' I have yet to go through it.

Then Psyoutlaw has suggested this book to me-"Cliffs for Standardized Math Tests." but I have'nt seen it either and dont know how much of probability there is in it.
Stay cool and go through the math tutorial in powerprep most importantly,am sure you will do well. Best of Luck.

ari
09-24-2003, 01:10 AM
hi pratts,
questions on normal distribution do show up on gre.
i got one on my GRE on 7th june, wasnt prepared, so lost it.
one /two normal distribution questions are there in the practice questions of powerprep.
u can get an idea of the difficulty level from there.
go through the powerprep thoroughly.
best of luck for 8th oct.

ari

pratts
09-24-2003, 01:10 PM
Thanx ari and eagle... well I guess Powerprep is wot will help me at this moment...
byeee
pratts

thaiva
09-24-2003, 07:16 PM
hey Pratts,

You have been given spot on advice from ari I have heard that the best thing to do is look into the powerprep throughly it gives you a great idea of how hard / the difficulty level is.

Best Of luck for the 8th of Oct...

I am right behind you...

Tim

Vinay
09-28-2003, 06:49 AM
Best of Luck Pratts :-))))))

Dont worry too much abt probability coz you may even not get even a single question. I studied probab a lot last time round and dint got a single question. so dont worry.