PDA

View Full Version : 220-277 on 20th Sept. 2003......Final 270 essay 5.0



tejal
09-22-2003, 02:58 PM
Hi all,

Here is the break up of my score

Listening 28
Structure 11-29
Reading 26:(

I was very confident about my Reading and thought would score better in it than listening. I still don't understand where I went wrong in Reading. My passages were pretty simple. In fact my Listening was very long. I got around 10 listening lectures and conversations in Part B. I was really exhausted doing the listening part.

During structure I had to hurry a lot because I wasted lot of time on the 3rd question. I feel the time given for structure is very less. Also I could not apply any of the grammar stuff I studies before the exam cause I had no time to think so much. I had to go by my instincts.

I m not very good at writing essays. But I think I did a good job in the test. My topic was

Some people like to spend their leisure time outdoors. Some people prefer to spend their free time indoors. What do you prefer. Use specific examples to support your answer.

I want my score to be above 250. Hope I can make it.

I had studied from the following books

1) Barrons
2) Peterson's TOEFL CBT success
3) Barrons: How to prepare for computer based TOEFL essay by Lin Lougheed

I found the Peterson's better than Barrons for Structure though I could not use any of the concepts. But I feel my written English has improved a lot by studying for the test.

When I solved Powerprep test my scores were similar to what I scored in my real test. So I feel solving powerprep can help you find where you stand.

Now I will start studying for GRE. I m planning to give GRE in November. I hope I have enough time to get a decent score.

If anyone of you have any questions. Feel free to write to me.

And I sincerely thank TestMagic for providing us with this wonderful site.
Keep up the good work.

All the best,

Tejal

kirting
09-22-2003, 05:22 PM
Hi! Tejal,

Congratulations!!! You did a good job on it. I believe you will get the score you want -- 250!!![bounce]

Thanks for posting your essay topic! Good luck!


Kirting

tejal
09-22-2003, 06:16 PM
Thanks Kirting!!!!

Tejal



Originally posted by kirting

Hi! Tejal,

Congratulations!!! You did a good job on it. I believe you will get the score you want -- 250!!![bounce]

Thanks for posting your essay topic! Good luck!


Kirting

Ricky
09-22-2003, 08:37 PM
Hi Tejal

I think it is the same case with you in reading as mine. Reading was easy but I am now realising that it could be due to overconfidence in this part. Yes, I agree that time is the limiting factor in structure part. Anyway, I hope you will get more than what you want. I am also waiting for my scores. Lets hope for the best.

Cheers
Ricky

tejal
10-03-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by tejal

Hi all,

Here is the break up of my score

Listening 28
Structure 11-29
Reading 26:(

I was very confident about my Reading and thought would score better in it than listening. I still don't understand where I went wrong in Reading. My passages were pretty simple. In fact my Listening was very long. I got around 10 listening lectures and conversations in Part B. I was really exhausted doing the listening part.

During structure I had to hurry a lot because I wasted lot of time on the 3rd question. I feel the time given for structure is very less. Also I could not apply any of the grammar stuff I studies before the exam cause I had no time to think so much. I had to go by my instincts.

I m not very good at writing essays. But I think I did a good job in the test. My topic was

Some people like to spend their leisure time outdoors. Some people prefer to spend their free time indoors. What do you prefer. Use specific examples to support your answer.

I want my score to be above 250. Hope I can make it.

I had studied from the following books

1) Barrons
2) Peterson's TOEFL CBT success
3) Barrons: How to prepare for computer based TOEFL essay by Lin Lougheed

I found the Peterson's better than Barrons for Structure though I could not use any of the concepts. But I feel my written English has improved a lot by studying for the test.

When I solved Powerprep test my scores were similar to what I scored in my real test. So I feel solving powerprep can help you find where you stand.

Now I will start studying for GRE. I m planning to give GRE in November. I hope I have enough time to get a decent score.

If anyone of you have any questions. Feel free to write to me.

And I sincerely thank TestMagic for providing us with this wonderful site.
Keep up the good work.

All the best,

Tejal




Hi all,

Got my Final score today which is 270 with 5.0 in Essay. I am very happy with my score. I wanted it to be above 250.
As I said in my earlier post, I m not good at writing. But I had done a good job on my TOEFL essay. I read the book by Lin Lougheed on how to prepare for TOEFL essay. This book also had some 100+ essays in simple language. So my advice to all those who are not good writers like me is to read as many essay as you can while preparing for the test.

In the end, I would like to thank Erin and all TMagicians for the wonderful work they are doing on this site.

Best of luck to all of you.

Regards,
Tejal

MoizManji
10-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Congrats tejal on getting the score you wanted.

Good Luck!

-- Moiz Manji

tejal
10-07-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by MoizManji

Congrats tejal on getting the score you wanted.

Good Luck!

-- Moiz Manji


Thanks Moiz Manji.

Good luck to you too.

MoizManji
10-07-2003, 03:21 PM
thanx tejal... cant beleive it... I gave my TOEFL 10 days b4 you but, still havent recd my score report now.... Maybe I should've wasted my $10 abt 2 weeks ago.... now, they dont seem worth it!!

kirting
10-07-2003, 07:04 PM
Hi! Tejal,

You finally did it. Congratulations!!!

BTW, did you call to check your score? Or you just received it? I took it on 9/23 but I still haven't got it. Maybe I should call to see my final score. One more thing, I know if you check it by phone, they need you appointment number. Is it 16 digits? Mine is only 8. I don't know why.
Please tell me if you know.

Again, congratulations!!![goodjob]

Best wishes,
Kirting

tejal
10-08-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by kirting

Hi! Tejal,

You finally did it. Congratulations!!!

BTW, did you call to check your score? Or you just received it? I took it on 9/23 but I still haven't got it. Maybe I should call to see my final score. One more thing, I know if you check it by phone, they need you appointment number. Is it 16 digits? Mine is only 8. I don't know why.
Please tell me if you know.

Again, congratulations!!![goodjob]


Best wishes,
Kirting



Hi Kirting and Moiz Manji,

I live in NJ,USA. That's why I got my score within 2 weeks by post.

Moiz Manji--- It will take sometime for you to receive your score in Pakistan.

Kirting--- I don't know about your location, but if it is in USA you should have got it by now. My appointment number is 8 digit only.

Good Luck with your scores.

Regards,

Tejal

kirting
10-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Hi! Tejal,

I live in NY, USA. And I haven't got it till now. It's been over two weeks. Also, I tried to check it by phone. But I only have 8 digits as you do and can not check it. Because it needs 16 digits. That's why. Any suggestion? Thanks!

Ricky
10-08-2003, 12:58 PM
Hi Kirting
As I replied to your earlier thread also that the first eight digits are eight zeros. Try that. I am sure you will get it.

Cheers
Ricky

tejal
10-08-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by kirting

Hi! Tejal,

I live in NY, USA. And I haven't got it till now. It's been over two weeks. Also, I tried to check it by phone. But I only have 8 digits as you do and can not check it. Because it needs 16 digits. That's why. Any suggestion? Thanks!



Hi Kirting,

Ricky is right, the first 8 digits are zeros. So that makes it 16 digits.
Hey you should have gotten it by now. Try calling their customer service they might be able to tell you the status about your score report.
I live near Princeton where the ETS office is located, that might be the reason for the faster arrival of my score report.
Hope you receive it soon too.

Good luck

Tejal

kirting
10-08-2003, 04:39 PM
Hi! Tejal and Ricky,

Thanks for your advice. Finally I got the score today. So I don't need to spend $10 to check it. ^_^ Again, thanks for your help!!!


Best wishes,
Kirting