PDA

View Full Version : Tips for speaking

pikachu
04-25-2007, 03:08 AM
I finally got the required score in TOEFL speaking. It was my second attempt. My First attempt score was 23. And my second attempt score was 29. This forum helped me a lot while preparing. I changed a few things in my preparation which I think helped me to get this score. I wish to share my experience.
Points I mainly focussed on in second attempt.
1. Complete the answer. Answer specific to the question asked. No need to elaborate too much as time is very limited.
2. Speak clearly, as it reduces listner effort. Anything thats extra work for thr grader lowers your grade.
3. I kept my notes in front of me while speaking so that I knew what point I had to talk next. This greatly reduced the pauses I took to remember points.
4. I changed my note taking format for second attempt. Here is the template/format I followed...
Ques 1&2 Opinion - Give 2 reasons and detail and give example which is also very important.
Ques 3 M/w agrees/disagrees state reason for opinion --- Focus mailnly on the person who is giving the opinion and reason. Make sure you cover all the
points mentioned.
Ques 4 Academic talk - Answer to what the question asked.There may be other details,which may not be required to mention.This helped me to complete my
answer.
Ques 5 M/w problem, 2 soln which you choose why --- Answer all parts of this ques. Take notes in points
a)problem
b)2 solns
c)favorable soln (positive or negetive points of that descision)
Ques 6 Academic talk-Points same as ques 4
For Que 4 & 6, I divided total time in small chunks. 10 sec introduction, approx 25 sec for each example.
Also, I used some of 'Signal Words and Phrases' and 'Transition Words and Phrases' mentioned in TOEFL iBT Tips document. You can find this document at http://www.etsliteracy.net/Media/Tests/TOEFL/pdf/TOEFL_Tips.pdf

Good luck.

RBC
04-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your achievement with us. I tried for toefl ibt and i got 24 in speaking. So i will try to take it again as i have to.

By the way, did you take any classes for that or you did it on your own?

As we don't get much time to prepare for our response in the exam, how did you manage to take notes and prepare your response? any tips?

thanks and congratulations!!!!!!!

seaglass
05-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Hello,

29 is really good score! Awesome! [clap]

My test day is coming up... (yuck!) How did you practice?

I have Kaplan, and all sample answers of Speaking section is too way up there on my speaking level... Did everyone who took above 23pts spoke that good??

But anyway, to read your achievement and tips makes me calm down. Yes! I'm nervous!![bounce]

himanshu288
05-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Hi
seaglass
you have Kaplan, and all sample answers of Speaking section, what type of questions? can you explain it?
plz answer it.

RBC
05-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Hi Himanshu,

Are you preparig for FPGEE in June? Are you from A'bad?

fafy
05-17-2007, 12:46 AM
Hi all
big congrats Pikachu. I hope to do as good as you did.
I was wondering if we need to use all the time allowed for the response or only what we need?

himanshu288
05-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Hi
i am from mehsana, but i did my B.pharm. From ahmedabad. i already cleared my FPGEE in last december.
but do u know me?
Actucally i am sonia but my login id is Himanshu which is my husband's name.
buy

gigs
05-19-2007, 11:51 PM
thanks for sharing. im still stuck at 24. i already gave toefl 4 times and am really depressed now.............................