PDA

View Full Version : Rules for retaking test?

ruchita
10-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Can anybody suggest as to what is the rule w.r.t scores when a person takes a test more than once? is the average of the test scores taken, or just the latest score is considered. or the rule varies from University to university??

if I select some univeristies to be sent my GRE score and the second time I select some other universities, would these Univ be interested in my 1st score?

Please do reply if anyone has information regarding the above.

Asma Saif
10-10-2003, 04:16 PM
Hi
U can visit the site www.gre.org and can view the retaking statement.The mark sheet we get will have all the results of the GRE that we have taken.

Psyoutlaw
10-13-2003, 02:31 PM
All of your GRE test scores taken within the past 5 years will be sent to every university that you apply to. You will have to contact individual programs to see what their policy is. Some universites will average our your GRE scores and some will usually take the highest score that you achieved. If you do retake the GRE for the 2nd time, it is a MUST that you write a GRE Justification 1 page explanation and send it to each university explaining why you decided to retake the GRE. It shows that you are not trying to hide anything and will give you an opportunity to explain your rationale. For instance, maybe you underestimated the difficulty of the exam, you were working 40+ hours a week, or explain any other difficulties that you endured at the time of your preparation.

Best of Luck,
Psyoutlaw

Psyoutlaw
10-13-2003, 02:32 PM
[/SIZE]
Cumulative Reporting[/SIZE]
GRE score reporting is cumulative. Current GRE Board policy states that your scores are reportable for 5 years. Your scores are retained for the 5 testing years following the testing year in which you tested. All scores earned during this time will be reported to each institution you designate. You may choose to send only General Test scores, only Subject Test scores, only Writing Assessment scores, or any combination of the above, but you may not choose to have only those scores from a specific test date reported. Your score report will indicate your designated recipients and your cumulative record reported at that time. However, your designated recipients will not receive information concerning the other score recipients you have chosen.

ruchita
10-13-2003, 02:47 PM
Hello Psyoutlaw,
Thanks for the information. I was not at all aware that I need to send a clarification as to why I retook the test. I had contacted the universities to which i'll apply and almost all of them said that they'll consider the higher of the two scores. But all the while I was wondering if retaking the test would cast any negative impression on the addmission board. What you say implies that one needs to have a really solid reason to mention as the reson for retaking the test, else the add comm. might really have a -ve impression. i'll have to think 10 times before registering for the test again.
thanks again.

Psyoutlaw
10-13-2003, 11:54 PM
It just shows maturity and that you are not trying to hide anything. Your GRE Justification letter looks really good if you increase your score. I increased my score by 200 pts.

Psyoutlaw

Erin
10-14-2003, 12:33 AM
I don't think that taking the GRE two times is such a big deal, so I'm not sure it'd be 100% necessary to include a "justification" letter. Sometimes explaining low scores will end up calling more attention to them, and if you've got high scores, it might be best to let them speak for themselves. Also, some schools (such as public schools) don't like to receive extra material in the application if they don't request it.

There are so many factors involved that it's really hard to say for sure, but again, taking the test two times isn't a big deal, and most schools look at the highest scores anyway.

shawnMgardy
11-24-2003, 02:19 AM
Thanks Erin. That is some realy possitive advice for some people, like myself, who unfortunatly did not obtain the scores that they needed on the first attempt. I myself wrote the GRE a little while back and I was not particularly happy with my quant score of 650, when I am applying for econ and the average econ quant score is just a little over seven hundred. I think that my problem was that I was too nervous about the test as I did not get to sleep untill three o'clock in the morning, the night before the test. I used the diagnostic service and I got the first question on the quant wrong, and a total of 11/28 wrong so I understand why the score is soo low. At the moment I am just concentrating on my course work and in the summer I am going to purchase the GRE big book and maybe atend a kaplan prep seminar and then take one more crack at it in the summer hopefully. Well, take care and this is a wonderfull website and all test prepers are severly indebted to you Erin. Take care.S.G.