PDA

View Full Version : Final score 290 in October 2003

wood
10-07-2003, 03:44 PM
Hi all!

It's finally over! Over more than 3 1/2 hours of concentration, sweat, and stress and 1 hour of wanting-to-be-in-the-bathroom. Yep... I blame my bladder for the last 10 points I couldn't get! :D

Anyway, here's the breadown:

Listening 29
Structure 13-30
Reading 28

Listening (30 questions):

I'm pretty confortable with listening since I've been living for the past 4 years here in US. However, I always tend to lose concentration, especially during boresome talks. I KNOW exactly the question I missed since, luckily, it was the only one which I wasn't 100% sure of the answer!! In sum, I found the section easier than the PowerPrep tests somehow, and the volume and clearness of the voices were also better!!

I also was surprised to know that we don't have access to scratch papers for the Listening and Structure sections. I trained at home with scratch papers for the listening section, so that I could jot down the important notes such as names and dates. I must have overlooked the directions. Frankly, I didn't even look at them! :) I was so worried with the GRE and GRE CS that I was considering TOEFL a piece of cake... but I should have watched out for that.

Structure (25 questions):

There's not much I can advise here. I have always had facility with grammar, so I didn't find any question extremely difficult. I was always able to find the nuances required to answer the difficult ones. Keep browsing TestMagic TOEFL grammar forum, and you'll find lots of interesting questions with great explanations by Erin and others.

Reading (55 questions):

Damn, Damn, Damn!! Sorry for my language. I realized that I was doing badly in the Reading section two days ago! I don't know what it is... but the "finding the closest meaning" exercises sometimes give me a hard time. I got an impossibly difficult text to read and 4 easy ones... This pattern is different from the PP tests, where I used to get 2 medium and 2 easy ones. I'm pretty sure I lost the points on the difficult one... There was a sequence of three "finding the closest meaning" questions that just slapped me in the face!! :crazy:

Timing:

Timing is definitely not a problem. Structure is the place where I usually need more time though, since I read the sentence 7 times in average. In other parts, it seems that ETS is being generous (hard to believe), compared to the GRE timing.

Overall:

Overall, I'm pleased with the score of course. However, since I scored 287 (and then 277 with the 4.5 essay) two years ago, I was expecting a significant improvement now like 297 or 300. But at that time, I studied vehemently for it, and now I reserved just two weekends and occasional problems solved here at TM. I think concentration is the key (as well as an empty bladder!), and if you're relaxed, you can achieve better scores than expected.

First and foremost, I would like to thank Erin again (for the 123216281763th time) for this great website and the hard work that he puts on it to keep it successful. Second, I want to thank all TMs who participated with me in the last couple of weeks in studying for the TOEFL.

Two down, one to go!! C'mon GRE CS!!! C'mon!

Good luck to everybody. Let me know if you need any other information from my experience.

Wood

MS
10-07-2003, 04:07 PM
Hey Congrats Wood.....
Great score!
Countdown is ending soon....one more to go...All the best for that....!!

wood
10-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Thanks MS!!! Countdown is almost over... however, I still need to finisht he list of universities and ask for recos!!! I'm late on that!!

By the way, do you know what could be the breakdown in case I get a 4.5, 5, or 6??? I mean, I thinkg 5.5 would be 287 and 5 would be 283... etc... Am I right?

Good luck on your apps!

Wood

MS
10-07-2003, 06:26 PM
No idea about that....i am also wondering if I get 5.5 it will be around 277 or so....my scores are 227-283
RECOS, SOP...a lot of work to do....
Good luck on your apps too!!!

Erin
10-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Hey Andre, congrats on your great score! I know you must've wanted to get 300, but as you said, you didn't put the time into it. And it seems you know where you erred. If it makes you feel any better, I think an educated native speaker would probably get around 290, for the same reasons you pointed out. I've actually taken the official TOEFL twice, and listening comprehension was the part I didn't get a perfect score in, because I couldn't remember some detail! And sorry to hear that you didn't know scratch paper wasn't allowed. That's one thing I really don't like about the TOEFL--you're supposed to remember everything.

Your score should break down something like this (there's no published formula for this):

5.5: 283 or 287
5.0: 280
4.5: 277 (I don't think you'll get this score, though!)

Again, congrats! One more test to go (the hard one!!), then it's on to the applications! :)

wood
10-07-2003, 06:55 PM
Hey Erin... Yes, it does make me feel better!! :D

Thanks for the break down. I hope I can manage at least a 5.0 as I did on the GRE. Somehow, I didn't do quite well on the essay though. Both my GRE essays were more elaborated than my TOEFL one. Somehow, I didn't put too much effort on it and spent too much time wondering what good examples I should use.

Yeah. That policy was really surprising for me. I've actually taken the TOEFL once but I couldn't remember that detail.

Thanks again!! ETS has really no chance on the CS! :D

Wood

Vinay
10-07-2003, 08:11 PM
Hey Congrats Wood :-))))))))

thts a gr8 score. I m sure you will get 285-290.

yup scratch paper isnt allowed and thts why ppl often call it as memory test especially when it comes to long conversations.

Now you r free for GRE CS :-))))))))

congrats again :-)))))

Vinay

wood
10-07-2003, 09:26 PM
Thanks Vinay!!! That was a real blooper!! It seems everybody knew that, but I! :o

Anyway, thanks for the congrats dude!! Let's crack the GRE CS...! I'll be really studying for it now... So far, I have just been browsing the books.

Wood

ushak
10-08-2003, 12:39 AM
Congrats! and keep going Wood!

Sure you will do well on the last one too.

Usha

wood
10-08-2003, 01:15 AM
Thanks Ushak !!

I hope so... I vehemently hope so... it's not going to be easy...! Time's running out.

Wood

DreamsComeTrue
10-08-2003, 07:30 AM
Congrats!!! All the best for your upcoming GRE[dance][banana][dance][banana]

MoizManji
10-08-2003, 08:39 AM
Yo woods.... CONGRATS

Listening was abit of problem for me too but luckily, I got full in it. But, you should feel lucky to get only 25 questions for listening (or was it a typo). I got full 49 questions and it took ever for me to finish and go to the next section!

Anyways, I got the same score range for my TOEFL test that I gave on 11th September. Still waiting for the result [Damn!! :( ]. Hope you get your result quickly!!!

-- Moiz Manji

wood
10-08-2003, 11:15 AM
Thanks DreamsComeTrue and Moiz!

Moiz, I actually got 30 questions on the listening as I mentioned earlier, and not 25!

You might want to call them (they have an automated phone service I think) and get your score.

Wood

eagle
10-08-2003, 02:59 PM
Congratulations Wood! And thanks for the detailed description of the exam. That will be most helpful for all of us yet to give the exam.Best of luck for the CS GRE.

wood
10-08-2003, 03:24 PM
Thanks Eagle!! Glad I can help you guys out!

When is your TOEFL Test? If you have taken it already, sorry for missing the post.

Wood

kirting
10-08-2003, 04:26 PM
Hi! Wood,

Congratulations!!! You have done a very good job! [banana]

Best wishes to everything in the future!

Kirting

eagle
10-08-2003, 07:22 PM
I havent taken my TOEFL yet. Planning to take it in early November this year.

wood
10-08-2003, 08:43 PM
Thanks kirting!!

Good luck on yours then eagle!! Just concentrate and relax, and you'll do good!

Wood

wood
10-21-2003, 07:47 PM
Hey guys!!

I got my essay rating 6.0 / 6.0 !! Final score 290!

I'm surprised with it since I thought my TOEFL essay was waaaaaaay worse than my GRE ones.

Wood

Erin
10-21-2003, 10:30 PM
Wow, great essay score. So in the end, you did beat your old score!! :D

wood
10-21-2003, 10:35 PM
Yes indeed!!

Now, it's the worst one... The evil GRE CS... [}:)]

Wood

Hippo
10-22-2003, 12:08 PM
Congratulations Wood!

kirting
10-22-2003, 12:16 PM
Congratulations, Wood!!!! [goodjob]

6.0 in the essay is awesome!!! I am sure you will do well in your G too.

Best wishes,
Kirting

wood
11-05-2003, 01:23 PM
Hey hippo and kirting!! Thanks a bunch!!! GRE CS is in 3 days... getting nervous...!!!! brrrrrrr...!!

Good luck on your app!

Wood

kirting
11-05-2003, 01:47 PM
Hey! Wood,

Don't worry about it. You will beat it. ;)

Good luck!!!!