PDA

View Full Version : A How To for the GRE (by flounder)

flounder
10-15-2003, 09:31 AM
Theres this problem with us CS people who love LINUX. We love How-Tos too :p hehe. Heres a much needed HowTo for GRE? Cmon Erin, this one deserves to be made a sticky :)))))

Regards,
Ali

I have decided that GRE is the road for me, but how to go about actually treading it?

I feel so free today. After a lapse of some three months, I finally feel a tension lift off my shoulders. Gave my GRE (800q and 610v). Was hoping to cross the 700s in verbal but I am happy nevertheless.

How to start you GRE preparation? Well I started preparation for GRE around three months back, and this was the very same impasse that I landed in.

Q How to prepare? Why just follow the posts on TestMagic of course.
Q Where to prepare from? I'd recommend in order of preference (difficulty from challenging to a bore): Power Prep, Big Book, Barrons, Kaplan and maybe Princeton Review
Q What to prepare? How much time needed to prepare? Read on :))

How much prep time?

Ok first of all, if you have the time available, I would suggest a 3-4 months prep time. Why? Well, since many of us come from Engineering or Non-literature backgrounds, we do not get the opportunity to built that large vocabulary set that ETS tests on. I feel 4 months is a sufficient time to make up for that deficiency. If you have a year at hand, thats even better. You really can ace the dreaded verbal section with that much prep. 4 months is enough to do the quantitative practice side by side too.

Vobabulary Building?

Ok, well and good. How to go about the vocabulary building? Well many people have suggested many different techniques, and at the end of the day, the one that will win is the one that suits you. I prefer the flash cards, and making them myself. They don't have to be cards, just get plenty of A4 size pages and and a paper cutter and start cutting cards of the apposite size. Make plenty of them. You can never have enough. And even after your GRE, you can still look at them to jolt your vocabulary. Maybe your kid brother and sister might use the same for their SATs or GREs or GMATs :) or if they are in good shape and you have no intention to humor the words further, you can sell them for some quick bucks he he he. I am sure many people would be interested hehe.

Now for the words. I'd suggest that you start with the Barrons 350 sth high frequency words. Go through the list once. Some words you would know. The ones which you don't know, make flash cards for them. It helps if you can put a definition and a short sentence, context or phrase for the word too. Context is important for remembering the words. It really makes the whole exercise worthwhile too, since you would remember the words long after you have given the GRE too. Leave some place on flash cards for future additions, e.g. synonyms you come across, difficult antonyms for the words, confusions etc. Yeah I know many of you would be "This seems like a lot of hard work", but trust me: you will have a really powerful vocabulary at the end of the day, which you can use to impress people in your otherwise daily routine too.

Ok, coming back to the word lists, first do the Barrons High Frequency. Some people go to cram the whole Barrons 3500 list. Ummm, I have come across people who knew the whole list, but only this list, and got words they were seeing for the first time. So in my opinion, if you are short on time, diversify the word lists. I would suggest you do the Princeton Review list next (around 350 words and very relevant). Next do the Arco list (another 300-400 words). Ok by now you have a decent inventory of words. Go for the Kaplan's List now. It will help you learn whole groups of words. There would be overlap, but you will encounter many new words too.

Another excellent source of words is the Big Book. It has some 27 actual administered paper GRE tests (2q and 2v sections each). Start giving the tests asap, and while you are at it, learn the new words from these tests. Remember these are the real tests, so you should know these words. By the end of the 27 tests, your vocabulary will be richer by another 500 or so words, not found in the previous lists.

Side by side, I'd suggest the use of some vocabulary building software like Guru's GRE (freeware available and can searched for on google.com). Its a nice easy way to learn new words. By now you would have learnt many words. So I'd suggest that you take all the 51 tests in Guru's GRE. You would know around 50-60 percent of the words. Don't guess on the words you don't know. The good thing is that the software remembers the words you didn't attempt. You can then continue to learn those ones.

Number2.0 has a good vocabulary building online engine. I'd recommend it wholly. Ok, now you can come back to the world of Barrons. I am assuming you still have some weeks left before the test. Go through the more common letters first like O, E, I, D, P, R, S, T, A, you etc. you and D help a lot with a lot of antonyms as in usage like dis- and un- which reverse the word. So you would be learning two words with each word.

And yes make flash card for whatever word you don't know, in Big Book or any other tests you take. The good thing with Flash cards is that you can dally with them on the run, say waiting for your friends to show up, or waiting for you meal in the office etc. Plus another good thing with flash cards is that you can "shuffle" them and "mix" with other sets of flash cards and "isolate" the ones you need to work on. Shuffling helps to break mononity and you get to see a new assortment of the order in which the words come. Mixing helps to do the same. Isolating the words you don't know allows you to concentrate on those words more easily and learn them. Plus flash cards allow you to look at a word in isolation and identify it. I have heard that with this technique, the minds forms a mental association with a flash card, and whenever you see the word again, the neurons do some V = IR^2s (thats the Ohm's law by the way :p) and jolt your memory and volla the meaning comes to you.

Verbal Section:

Ok, apart from the vocabulary building, the other piece of advice I have for you in the verbal section is practice, practice and more practice and time yourself while doing it. Do practice at a stretch while your head hurts :) . Take a power prep early on, infact I would say that a dose of reality doesn't hurt you. So give the power prep within your first month of prep. You might feel depressed the next couple of days, but giving a Power Prep early on gives you a correct and verisimilar picture of where you actually stand and how much you need to go. So don't despair. Everyone does badly on the first few tests. Why? Coz ETS really sucks at making tests. The test doesn't check your intelligence or anything. It only sees if you have a huge vocabulary, whether you can run against the clock and if you have practiced or not. Thats it. That ladies and gentlemen, is the whole truth behind the GRE. Timing and pacing yourself, keeping a cool head, a good vocabulary and practice. You can signifantly improve your scores from those first dismal power prep scores, even by as much as 400 to 500 points. But practice and consistency would be the key.

Get the big book. It costs a lot, but its every penny worth it. No other book even comes close to the amount of practice that big book can offer you. Give the verbal tests. The timing is stringent as compared to the current GRE and that helps you to develop a good pace for attempting questions. The reading comprehension is difficult as hell, which is a good thing coz in the actual GRE the same is the case. And its a good vocabulary building exercise too.

As far as verbal strategies are concerned, I would recommend in order of preference : Kaplan, Barrons and Princeton Review. Princeton Review is in my opinion too easy to get to those high 600 + scores in verbal, but if its available, do try to go through all three.

Reading comprehension is a difficult section, and I would suggest that you make it a habit to read the English newspaper daily especially the editorials and columns. You can even subscribe online to Washington Post, New York Times or Wall Street Journal. Plus its a little expensive, but I really like the Economist for its strong English. You can see all the GRE words here at work. Read, read and read through those four months. The effects are threefold. First you are improving your vocabulary. Secondly you are assimilating ideas for your essays in AWA. Last but not the least, you are improving your Reading Comprehension. When you read some passage, attack it ! ... And no that doesn't mean that you start thrashing it around with a flail :p . It means scrutize it. What does it say? Whats the main topic and theme? Whats the actual scope, and what does the author hope to accomplish through this writing? Note the author's tone. It is sarcastic, approving, neutral, disparaging or skeptic etc. You will see that this exercise will increase your RC skills by leaps and bounds.

As far as analogies and sentence completions are concerned, I would again recommend the same three books plus practice from Big Book. And yes power prep exercises are an absolute must. It would be equivalent to sacrilege if you do not do them.

Quantitative Section:

Ok, not many of us Engineering students get the chance during undergraduate to indulge in high school maths while we are bogged by calculus and differential equations and stochastic processes and transforms. So its natural your basic math skills could rusty. True for other disciplines as well. If you are applying to Engineering or Sciences programs, a good quantitative score is an absolute must. So do not ignore quantitative. Start working on it from the earliest possible time. Barrons has a very good Maths review plus tips and so does Kaplan. The quantitative tests at the end of Barrons are more challenging than any other book that I have come across. Do those. Do the quantitative review from Power Prep as well, along with the exercises. And yes don't forget the big book. TO start with, it is difficult and a good source of practice. You need to do 30 questions in just 30 minutes, and you can really learn how to pace yourself. I would suggest you keep giving the tests from Big Book till you have successively obtained some 8-10 800 scores. Then if you want, you can give yourself a pat on the back and look elsewhere for more difficult problems, say the TestMagic Forum (www.TestMagic.com) ;)

AWA:
Theres no better place than right here at TestMagic :) Ö During the run up to the GRE, try to write at least one essay per week to brushen up those writing skills. During the last, make it a point to go through the list of the issue prompts at least one. Just take out a topic, think about it mentally and move on to the next one. You save precious brainstorming time this way on the actual GRE.

And finally, once again, practice makes perfect. Theres no short cut for it, no surrogates or substitute. If you have any question, I will happy to answer it.

Regards,
Ali

Nosheen
10-15-2003, 12:29 PM
Hi Ali. Firstly, that really is a very comprehensive and useful 'How To' for the GRE. :) Good work!

I just have a couple of questions about the quantitative section that I'd be obliged if u'd answer. (I did post these before but received no reply).

My maths is very weak and so Iím very worried about the GRE quantitative section. I read in a GRE prep book the test gives you questions mostly from grade 8 or 9 or so level. (I think it was the Princeton Review). Is that true?

Besides the GRE prep books, would O-Level and A-Level maths books be useful? If so, then for which sections? I know a lot of the A-Level maths is irrelevant for GRE such as calculas. But the the problem is which bits are relevant? So do they test O-Level type maths or A-Level maths on the more difficult questions? (hence making the questions 'difficult'?)

It'd really help me a lot if you shed light on the above! :shy:

Erin
10-15-2003, 02:16 PM
Wow, what an awesome post! :D :)

Sticky it is!!

flounder
10-15-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Erin Billy

Wow, what an awesome post! :D :)

Sticky it is!!

Thanks Erin :D
Just a modest attempt really to give back something to the forum : ))

Kind Regards,
Ali

flounder
10-15-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Nosheen

Hi Ali. Firstly, that really is a very comprehensive and useful 'How To' for the GRE. :) Good work!

I just have a couple of questions about the quantitative section that I'd be obliged if u'd answer. (I did post these before but received no reply).

My maths is very weak and so Iím very worried about the GRE quantitative section. I read in a GRE prep book the test gives you questions mostly from grade 8 or 9 or so level. (I think it was the Princeton Review). Is that true?

Besides the GRE prep books, would O-Level and A-Level maths books be useful? If so, then for which sections? I know a lot of the A-Level maths is irrelevant for GRE such as calculas. But the the problem is which bits are relevant? So do they test O-Level type maths or A-Level maths on the more difficult questions? (hence making the questions 'difficult'?)

It'd really help me a lot if you shed light on the above! :shy:

Hi Nosheen,
Thank you for your kind regards. I'd be happy to guide you.

Yes, it is true that the GRE Quantitative only tests for high school level Maths. Since it is not my intention to make you complacent over this fact, allow to say that even though the GRE tests high school maths, it can make those trivial concepts seem difficult at times. The key is lots of practice and building up a good pace, coz time can appear to fly really quickly during those 45 minutes in an actual test.

As far as prep books go, I am for Barrons. Its quantitative section is by the far the most difficult and comprehensive that I have come across in my prep. Kaplan is good for strategies etc. Princeton Review, in my opinion, is too much on the easier side. Power prep is overall the best indicator of the actual GRE. Make it a mandatory part of your prep (can be downloaded from www.gre.org).

Yes you are right. Calculus is not tested on the GRE. The topics are mostly from coordinate geometry, statistics, probability, circles, squares, polygons, geometry, ratios and proportions, equalities and inequalities, polynomials, to name a few. You can download the ETS Math Review from www.gre.org to get the full list of all that can be tested. And once again, I am emphasizing the importance of Power Prep. If its on the Power Prep, it stands a good chance to be tested. You can use your O Level and A Level books to brushen up some basic statistics, concepts of mean, mode, median, range etc, probability, combinations, permutations. Apart from that, I am not sure how much of a help can they be.

GRE quantitative is a world in itself I believe. It takes basic maths knowledge, molds its, twists it, distorts it, contorts it and comes up with a convoluted problem, which in its essence is based on simple ingredients, but appears complicated and overwhelming. The key is to do a wide array of problems and quite some of them to get familiar with what you can expect on the actual test.

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards,
Ali

kfree
10-16-2003, 08:51 PM
Hi Ali,
Wonderful Post :)

irumbu
10-16-2003, 10:26 PM
wow,
wonderful post:D. Thanks man.

irumbu:)

Nosheen
10-19-2003, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the reply Ali. That really does help!! :D :p

Just another question...about the essays that you have to write. The GRE prep books suggest you create a template to help you write the essays. I don't really fancy doing that. What do you think? How do you write?

flounder
10-24-2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by kfree

Hi Ali,
Wonderful Post :)

Thanks. Just a modest effort really :)

Cheers

flounder
10-24-2003, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by Nosheen

Thanks for the reply Ali. That really does help!! :D :p

Just another question...about the essays that you have to write. The GRE prep books suggest you create a template to help you write the essays. I don't really fancy doing that. What do you think? How do you write?

Dear Nosheen,

Sorry for the late reply. I was away on a short vacation. Yes it is helpful if you have a rough template in mind, coz it allows your essay to have an organized structure, and that Nosheen can land you good marks.

What I suggest is there should be at least four paragraphs, preferably five if you can manage. The first is the intro, and the last in the conclusion. In between you have three paragraphs, in each of each you introduce one of arguments.

An argument has certain essential elements. First of all start with laying the claim of the argument. Claim is the statement of the argument. Then present the grounds. These are the examples, data, insights etc that you present in favor of your argument. Finally you have the warrant. This means how you link your grounds to your claim and both of these to the overall statement of the issue prompt. I hope I am not making this confusing. But you need to understand these, coz I have read that ETS looks for these things in the essay.

Finally you can include one paragraph about reservations. This means looking at the other side of the argument. By accepting that the other position exists, you appear as an even handed writer, one who is willing to listen to other viewpoints besides your own. This is a good thing, and makes you look like a mature writer, rather than a partisan one.

Hope that helps,

Keep writing,

Regards,
Ali

flounder
10-24-2003, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by irumbu

wow,
wonderful post:D. Thanks man.

irumbu:)

Irumbu, you are most welcome :)

monty
10-28-2003, 04:57 PM
HI Ali,

Thanks for such a comprehensive guidelines

MOnty

Nosheen
11-12-2003, 04:30 PM
Hi Ali,

Thanks for your detailed reply to my query about GRE essays. It really sounds as if u've mulled over the matter. :D

Sorry about replying so late but I've been having problems with my net connection due to which I haven't been able to visit the forum.

shruti_vip
01-06-2004, 04:14 AM
hi ali,
thanks for your post...really it is very much helpfull to us who are now starting their preparation for gre.....
i was very confused to select the proper way to take the preparation for gre....
Ali, at this time I have only the book of Barron's guide....may I start with the 350 high frequency wordlist of this book???can you tell me how much time should it take to prepare this 350 words??
waiting for your reply..
Shruti

zulfinho
01-17-2004, 11:10 AM
Hi Shruti,

I also use Barron's wordlist. IMHO, it's all depend on how much time you got? :p If you intent to memorize all 3500 words, you should memorize the 350 high freq words in one week only ;) Then you can devote one or two months to memorize all the 3500 words.

Well, that's just my opinion.

Cheers,

Zulfikar Dharmawan

shruti_vip
01-17-2004, 01:51 PM
Hi Zulfikar,
I am trying to memorize the all 350 high frequency words but my progress is not upto my expectation....So can u please tell me any good method to memorize all words easily...
waiting for your reply...
thanx
Shruti

zulfinho
01-17-2004, 08:51 PM
Words memorizing... please read this post:
http://www.TestMagic.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10026

I myself have been struggling just like you, one method that I prefer is to make a group of words that has similar meaning. It eased (well... a little bit) the pain. We don't have to know the exact meaning, but at least when we're confronted with analogy or antonym questions we know the similar meaning.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Zulfikar Dharmawan

shruti_vip
01-20-2004, 04:43 PM
thanx zulfi,
i am now just at the stage of finishing the 350 high frequency words...after memorising all those words properly I will going to increase my stock of words.....
actually firstly I started with the barron's 50 wordlist but that seems very tough to me to memorise....and maximum time I was getteng bored with all those words...so I followed Ali's advice...and it's really worked.
thanx
shruti

swetak28
02-04-2004, 04:46 PM
Hi shruti

whn r u giving your GRE?

shruti_vip
02-05-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by swetak28

Hi shruti

whn r u giving your GRE?

Hi sweatak,
I am planning to take GRE in April...what about u????
Shruti

swetak28
02-13-2004, 12:53 AM
Hi shruti

Im giving my GRE in august.want to take it close to application time.

shruti_vip
02-13-2004, 08:37 PM
Hi Sweta,
How is your preparation going????I am thinking that April is not a right time to appear for GRE.... Beacause my preparation is not well enough to take the exam in that month....
By the way, where do u stay in USA??
-Shruti

Originally posted by swetak28

Hi shruti

flounder
03-13-2004, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by monty

HI Ali,

MOnty

Hi monty

No problem. My pleasure. Glad it helps ... Hope you are doing great !

Ali

shruti_vip
04-06-2004, 11:21 AM
Hi everybody,
I have some information about GREbible.I have ordered thet entire bible ang got my CD.But for registration purpose I needed some password.I have been instructed to send an E-mail to grebible@hotmail.com giving the product code for getting password.But nobody send the password to me.I have also the telephone no. but whenever I called nobody is there to receive those calls.
If anybody know about this please reply me.

gringo
04-09-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by flounder

Originally posted by monty

HI Ali,

MOnty

Hi monty

No problem. My pleasure. Glad it helps ... Hope you are doing great !

Ali

hi ali..
loved your post mate. gr8 work. hope I can put some to use..
have a couple o queries though.
1) I have about 5 weks to go for my GRE and i'm still in the 500's in verb.
got any suggestions on how to get that score up? i'm breaking my head over the barrons wordlist. how useful is the high freq list?
2) how important is probability in quant?
loking frwd to your reply.

shruti_vip
04-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by shruti_vip

Hi everybody,
I have some information about GREbible.I have ordered thet entire bible ang got my CD.But for registration purpose I needed some password.I have been instructed to send an E-mail to grebible@hotmail.com giving the product code for getting password.But nobody send the password to me.I have also the telephone no. but whenever I called nobody is there to receive those calls.
If anybody know about this please reply me.

I got my password....and grebible is good....Basically they are not prompt...

jyosaj76
04-12-2004, 12:11 AM
Hi Ali,
congrats on you r terrific performance .I also would like to appreciate your taking out time( and your patience) to write out that eloquent post on taking the GRE.I think it is a great eye opener for the rest of us future GREites out there.
All the best for your goals.
Regards
jyothi

girlie
05-18-2004, 05:05 PM
hello,i am new here.I am in big trouble with GRE.I dont know what to do,where to start from.I am reeeading barrons wordlist only,is it sufficient?:shy:i have questions ...1.how to start GRE.2.how to take preparations for quantitative part?3.i want to give GRE after 3months,is it adequate?anybody with[heartbeat]please help me.i give TOEFL recently ,and the range is223-277.Feeling like that this is end of the world:(hheeeelllpppp[bounce]

Forrest Gump
07-25-2004, 09:12 AM
Thanks a lot Ali....

You know im a starter for GRE and was terribly bogged down by the abstract websites provided by the net....

All ending iwth a tag of 25 $ or so....

Yours was the most cool guidance i got till now....

I even took a printout of ur advice....

Thanks a lot man

Hey Can u also tell me how to find out the right kinda university for me....

I mean i went to usnews.com and got the list....

I also went to the websites of some of the colleges....

Can u tell me some site where i can get the finances worked out....

Also plz gimme sum idea regardin the financial aid and how much can i get....

As i told u.... since im new to it.... i dont have much idea about things....

So id be grateful if u cud help me out....

lucky_gaurav
09-08-2004, 05:28 AM
great work man
but what u suggest if one has only a month to prepare

ankush
10-02-2004, 05:39 PM
hi ali

cool msg dude
u researched a lot, i should have known this site few months ago, well i know about 2000+ words and have to start with maths, im facing few probs in analogies and sentence completion, any tips or any panacea reg the matter

anyways
ur msg was really awesome

ankush

soni123
10-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Hey Ali

Thanks a lot for such a comprehensive details, I just posted a question regarding how to prepare, your thread really helps

I come from non math background and have not done math since last 7-8 years to be precise not after 10th grade so what do u suggest ? is there any book which might help me prepare for quantitative

Thanks and best of luck with your admission process.

Soni

minud
10-07-2004, 02:24 AM
Yes What do u suggest Ali if one has one month to prepare???

sriram385
10-07-2004, 10:31 AM
that was really informative read flounder.. thanx a lot man!!:tup:

i ve got around an years time bfore i will be givin my GRE next year.
cud u plzz advice me on a study plan...
thanx in advance;)

murtdj
10-09-2004, 04:06 PM
grt how to ...

found it pretty useful during my prep..now i am giving my test on oct 21 st..can some body gimme any tips on what to do in the last ten days ..:whistle:

harischandra
10-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Hey Murtdj,

Try to take two to three full length CBTs/CATs per day and review them immediately and rectify your mistakes..

Regards

pennydorka
10-12-2004, 11:46 AM
hi Ali!

ur preparations guide is a great help. I am to appear for GRE on NOV. 10 i have done barron's so far . what all could i do in the time that i have left? i haven't given practice tests so far. how should i go about that? also i want to make optimum use of this time i have. advise me on how to do that?

-Penny

pennydorka
10-12-2004, 11:54 AM
hi Ali!

ur preparations guide is a great help. I am to appear for GRE on NOV. 10 i have done barron's so far . what all could i do in the time that i have left? i haven't given practice tests so far. how should i go about that? also i want to make optimum use of this time i have. advise me on how to do that?

-Penny
http://www.urch.com/forums/images/buttons/reputation.gif (http://www.urch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=71327#)

galloping nedian
11-08-2004, 10:25 AM
I have a biting question for me the ETS power prep software for toefl is not working, plz i dont know how to start a thread, i hope i m doing this right, i have downloaded the s/w too but it didnt work although the practice questions from ets site are working fine, plz,plz some help.i have got quicktime 3 on win 98 on p3 6oo mhz machine 128 mb ram,alsotried it on win xp on same machine with newer version of quicktime no result..in fact the power prep does not runs on xp because of no 640x480 resolution, hope erin or someone clear this up..............plzz..........bye

tmj831215
11-23-2004, 04:06 PM
Hi ali:
wow
it's really an awesome effort~~
thanks so much >>>>it's really help me get a idea how to prep. GRE

manasi4gre
12-03-2004, 01:26 PM
hi ali,
ur tips are surely a great help to all the new aspirants at TestMagic.thanks.

KillD
01-22-2005, 03:56 AM
Hi I also have the GREBible CD, i have been trying to contact them for ages, i tried the email as well as the phone , how did you get the password by the way through email or phone. My username is BCFSUVK ,pls advice

kzaman
02-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Hello

I am relatively new here and planning for GRE test within 5 or 6 months. I am interested to know what should be the frequency of learning new words. 100-200 per week or even more pace.

economicus
02-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Does anyone know if "Gre Secrets" is really so great as it's stated on the company's website? What about ARCO words for smart test takers? What's your opinion? I don't know... for me as an international student Barrons' 3500 list seems so hard! I can't even imagine to fill up my brains with all those words. Do you think arco is enough for around 400-600?

choesh
03-01-2005, 04:20 AM
Nice post ^__^ thanks for the awesome advices...

I still have a quick question... about this big book....
is that the

Gre: Practicing to Take the General Test : Big Book (Gre Practicing to Take the General Test: Big Book) ? ? ? ?

Please let me know... anybody.. please.. ^__^

Thanks in advance and have a nice day~~~:tup:

ikhlas
03-01-2005, 05:53 AM
you have the same situation , please read my thread in Math gre ,, and i hope me or you get the right answer from any one ???
guy's please help us ?!

many thanks for any helping
ikhlas

maz
03-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Hi Ali,
Your advice was surely helpful.Please can u help me with some GRE math questions that im stuck on.Can i hav ur email or u do often visit this site.Please reply asap.
maz.

jyeh74
03-14-2005, 07:33 AM
I have about 1 month. I wonder if that is enough time? I am aiming at a 500 verbal and 700 math. I bought the Barron's 15th ed GRE book with cd. Got around the same score for SATs but poorly on the GMAT. For some reason, the GMAT's verbal section killed me (probably the critical reasoning and reading comps)
What do you guys think from experience? Most people say that 3-4 months is enough time but I only have till May.......

DesT
03-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Real nice thread dear!
I was really in a fix about how to begin with my preparations..
not now anymore!! thanks to TM.
n a doubt here too!! do students applying for engineering courses need to have the gRE subject test!!

minud
03-25-2005, 02:26 AM
@DesT

depends on which uni u apping .......some top ranked unis prefer computer enggs to give subject test...like Gatech .

minud
03-25-2005, 06:03 AM
@dest

check out

http://www.urch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12985

sandy_rules
03-25-2005, 04:00 PM
hey ali

very neat n comprehensive view of how ,where to start for GRE.

thnx again
sandy

violet10o9
05-22-2005, 07:04 PM
This is very informative. Thanks!

neo1983
05-24-2005, 07:07 PM
Dude
yuvaraj from chennai. i have got some problems on my gre prep... and i need expert advice from u..

1. I could nt really find interest in doin that WHOOPIN:mad: 3500 Barron's lists...its kinda gettin on my nerves when i put some hard work today but i forget the word the very next day... How am i supposed to go abt that Barrons word list?
2. Without finishing the word lists shudnt i start workin on other parts e.g. Analogies, RC?
3. i have got three months more but i still havent started seriously workin on GRE... can u please give me some tips to start workin?

please dude... do smth... its a career at stake for me...

aj2k5
06-14-2005, 09:34 AM
hello

i'm new to this grp, can anybody help me with the grebible password thing i mailed a lot of times to that grebible@hotmail.com hoping to get a reply which they obviously dint.waiting for a reply

with regards
Aj

chintz
06-16-2005, 09:27 AM
Can any one post the test papers of Big book

so v all test ma:rolleyes: gic guys can solve ???

Hulbi
07-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Thanks Ali,
Thats really some work done.
I have a problem to discuss, i have given GRE once last year and wana give again because i got low score (1170- 760Q 410V) I wanted to ask if it would be of any extra help if i would give subject tests instead of simple GRE this time (I wanna go for CS). and also can you give me some moral boosting tips to help me start my preparations again.
Rahul.

garyt
09-10-2005, 07:53 AM
Hello everybody,

I am new to this site and to this forum also.
Can anyone give me CD's for CBT (GRE).
I have planned my test in this Sept end.
You can always contact me at gthosani@gmail.com

Thanks & regards
Gaurav

silentcacophony
10-26-2005, 08:01 AM
gr8 post dude really set me whole clear cut idea of how 2 prep for the whole exam is
esp u said abt flash cards really a wonderful experience of learnin words using that .actually it is working very effectively for me i have finished lewis word power easy book and then i picked barrons and i started using this flash cards .amzing experience of learnin words..
gr8 post keep it up ....[clap] [clap] :tup: :tup:

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Errr, so I have come online to testmagic after a long time. Lemme scroll up and reply to individual posts :)

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:04 PM
HI,

MOnty

You're most welcome. Hope it helped somewhat :)

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Hi Ali,

Thanks for your detailed reply to my query about GRE essays. It really sounds as if u've mulled over the matter. :D

Sorry about replying so late but I've been having problems with my net connection due to which I haven't been able to visit the forum.

Oh, sorry for replying so late myself too :) ... Hope you got admissions at all the places you wanted :)

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:07 PM
hi ali,
thanks for your post...really it is very much helpfull to us who are now starting their preparation for gre.....
i was very confused to select the proper way to take the preparation for gre....
Ali, at this time I have only the book of Barron's guide....may I start with the 350 high frequency wordlist of this book??can you tell me how much time should it take to prepare this 350 words?
waiting for your reply..
Shruti

I guess its too late to make a difference now, but I think you can cover the high frequency words in a week at most, with 50 words per day, assuming ofcourse you have other things to do in the day :)

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:09 PM
Hi shruti

Hope it went all, and that your applications went great! :-)

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:11 PM
hi ali..
loved your post mate. gr8 work. hope I can put some to use..
have a couple o queries though.
1) I have about 5 weks to go for my GRE and i'm still in the 500's in verb.
got any suggestions on how to get that score up? i'm breaking my head over the barrons wordlist. how useful is the high freq list?
2) how important is probability in quant?
loking frwd to your reply.

Hehe, well from what I remember, you would typically get at most 1-2 questions on probability but in most likelihood none. However probability in grad school is a whole different thing. If you are in CS/EE etc, you'd probably eat, drink, and gargle in probability :)

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Hi Ali,
congrats on you r terrific performance .I also would like to appreciate your taking out time( and your patience) to write out that eloquent post on taking the GRE.I think it is a great eye opener for the rest of us future GREites out there.
All the best for your goals.
Regards
jyothi

Hi Jyothi,

Sorry for the rather late reply. I am blaming my advisor for that :) ... Anyway, thanks for your wishes. I hope your GRE went fine :)

Please call me moz

:)

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:13 PM
hello,i am new here.I am in big trouble with GRE.I dont know what to do,where to start from.I am reeeading barrons wordlist only,is it sufficient?:shy:i have questions ...1.how to start GRE.2.how to take preparations for quantitative part?3.i want to give GRE after 3months,is it adequate?anybody with[heartbeat]please help me.i give TOEFL recently ,and the range is223-277.Feeling like that this is end of the world:(hheeeelllpppp[bounce]

But the world didn't end. Hope you did fine :)

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:25 PM
:whistle:
Thanks a lot Ali....

You know im a starter for GRE and was terribly bogged down by the abstract websites provided by the net....

All ending iwth a tag of 25 $ or so....

Yours was the most cool guidance i got till now....

I even took a printout of ur advice....

Thanks a lot man

Hey Can u also tell me how to find out the right kinda university for me....

I mean i went to usnews.com and got the list....

I also went to the websites of some of the colleges....

Can u tell me some site where i can get the finances worked out....

Also plz gimme sum idea regardin the financial aid and how much can i get....

As i told u.... since im new to it.... i dont have much idea about things....

So id be grateful if u cud help me out....

Hi Forrest Gump (which is one of my favorite movies btw :) ) but anyway, thanks for your wishes and feedback. I really appreciate it. Sorry for the late reply.

Some advice in general for everyone. Well the first thing you should figure out is what makes you tick. I know its easier said than done, but graduate school is a LOT of work, and I can't put more emphasis on that. If you are in the Ph.D program, thats like 5-6 years of sleepless nights, advisor grumbles, research roadblocks and what not. I do not wish to scare anyone off, but the point is that its easy to get boggled down by the scale of things. So first figure out what makes you tick. If you feel research is your calling, go for it. It might turn out to be rewarding. That brings us to a related question: what is it that you are looking for in your graduate school experience. Do you want to take the financial pressure and potential rewards of going to a top school? Its a catch-22 situation. The better school you apply to, the more the chances of getting financial assistance. Public universities like Berkeley, UIUC, UW Madison etc generally have more assistantships at Masters level but more people applying for them. For engineering majors, some options you have involve looking for teaching assistantships, research assistantships, the latter both with professors or in semi-independent research labs that universities have.

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:26 PM
great work man
but what u suggest if one has only a month to prepare

How it go with you, with one month? Maybe you have better insight now? :)

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:26 PM
hi ali

cool msg dude
u researched a lot, i should have known this site few months ago, well i know about 2000+ words and have to start with maths, im facing few probs in analogies and sentence completion, any tips or any panacea reg the matter

anyways
ur msg was really awesome

ankush

Thanks Ankush :)

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Hey Ali

Thanks a lot for such a comprehensive details, I just posted a question regarding how to prepare, your thread really helps

I come from non math background and have not done math since last 7-8 years to be precise not after 10th grade so what do u suggest ? is there any book which might help me prepare for quantitative

Thanks and best of luck with your admission process.

Soni

Hi Soni

Sorry for the late reply. I know you are probably through with your GRE by now, but for those still preparing, I would recommend the quantitative review in Kaplan, and then Barrons in that order ...

:-)

moz

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:29 PM
hi!

-Penny

Hey Penny

I guess I already know you did pretty well ;)

All the best

Moz

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:29 PM
that was really informative read flounder.. thanx a lot man!:tup:

i ve got around an years time bfore i will be givin my GRE next year.
cud u please advice me on a study plan...
thanx in advance;)

Hope your prep is going fine :))

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Hi ali:
wow
it's really an awesome effort~~
thanks so much >>>>it's really help me get a idea how to prep. GRE

Hey there. I am glad it helped :))

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:32 PM
hi ali,
ur tips are surely a great help to all the new aspirants at TestMagic.thanks.

Thanks for your kind words, manasi

:-)

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:33 PM
Hello

I am relatively new here and planning for GRE test within 5 or 6 months. I am interested to know what should be the frequency of learning new words. 100-200 per week or even more pace.

I think the important thing is the pace at which you can effectively remember and revise the already learnt words while building up newer vocabulary :)

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Does anyone know if "Gre Secrets" is really so great as it's stated on the company's website? What about ARCO words for smart test takers? What's your opinion? I don't know... for me as an international student Barrons' 3500 list seems so hard! I can't even imagine to fill up my brains with all those words. Do you think arco is enough for around 400-600?

I can understand that Barrons list seems rather intimidating, but the thing is that those words are more or less what is expected of a person entering a graduate program. You'll probably encounter many of them as you start reading journals, papers, Wall Street Journal (if you are a business major), books etc

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Hi Ali,
Your advice was surely helpful.Please can u help me with some GRE math questions that im stuck on.Can i hav ur email or u do often visit this site.Please reply asap.
maz.

Errrr, are you still preparing maz ... Sorry for the late reply :)

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:37 PM
@DesT

depends on which uni u apping .......some top ranked unis prefer computer engineering s to give subject test...like Gatech .

Yeah Berkeley, UIUC and CMU also prefer that you take the GRE subject. If you end up getting a good subject score, thats like a plus for your app in any case, right?

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:37 PM
This is very informative. Thanks!

you're welcome violet :)

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:38 PM
hey ali

very neat n comprehensive view of how ,where to start for GRE.

thnx again
sandy

Thanks Sandy :) ... Appreciate it ... Hope it helped ...

flounder
11-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Thanks Ali,
Thats really some work done.
I have a problem to discuss, i have given GRE once last year and wana give again because i got low score (1170- 760Q 410V) I wanted to ask if it would be of any extra help if i would give subject tests instead of simple GRE this time (I wanna go for CS). and also can you give me some moral boosting tips to help me start my preparations again.
Rahul.

Well if it helps, I had a friend who retook her GRE and raised her score by more than 300 and was able to get into Berkeley with those scores. The subject test is always helpful because it gives your app more depth than other candidates even if the university says its not explicity required. At the end of the day, GRE is just one part of you admission application, the others being your previous grades, letters of recommendations (very important), statement of purpose, which university did you do your undergrad from etc

dangerstudy
12-18-2005, 08:13 AM
hi
a wonderful post man.

anew people like me get the full details:)

auburnph
12-21-2005, 02:05 PM
question...

in the actual test, i did not see the buttons "confirm" and "next" in the AWA. Only present were "help", "section exit", "test quit", and "time". Which means, I had to wait for the time to expire since I didn;t see anything that will say that "You're done, click proceed" as the time still ticked. am i safe? or the worst is just around the corner?

francisc
01-02-2006, 02:34 AM
of course my quantitative will be 800.the verval.....wowooooooo.
thanks a lot

bovp2000
03-08-2006, 07:15 AM
question...

in the actual test, i did not see the buttons "confirm" and "next" in the AWA. Only present were "help", "section exit", "test quit", and "time". Which means, I had to wait for the time to expire since I didn;t see anything that will say that "You're done, click proceed" as the time still ticked. am i safe? or the worst is just around the corner?

You did it for practice didn't you? Did you type your essay in? As I remember, they will allow you to click proceed.

Cheers,

dipen01
03-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Very Good Post even after 2 and half yrs...

Mukta
03-31-2006, 10:38 AM
hi my name is Mukta Desai .. and the problem is tht i have registered for my gre for the 9th of may two months back.. and havent really been studyin for it for long .. i cannot score more than 10/20 in math,and apart from tht i also have college midterm exams till 10th of april .. so u have to give me advice on a crash course on how to take the gre .. considerin the time limit .. and give it the best i can...

nancy_cao
04-04-2006, 04:23 AM
wonderful!many thanks!

silence
05-06-2006, 02:26 PM
This TestMagic forum is fantastic with such kind people like Erin and Flouder. I have prepared TOEFL for a such long time with this forum. Now, GRE :D

sharkangle
05-17-2006, 01:13 AM
good job~

reef_d
10-01-2006, 07:53 AM
The biggest problem is that all the tests are written to be run on a windows platform.

For us Linux users, its a pain to actually log into Windows just for the sake of doing tests

namita13
10-17-2006, 04:42 AM
thanq so much ali for having posted "how to".... it really helped me a lot as i was contemplating taking the gre road but had many queries.... ur post helped me!!
thanx..[clap]

sambutler212
10-31-2007, 01:06 PM
But there are several GRE test prep websites that run on any browser, and for them it doesn't matter if you are running Linux or Windows or Mac. For example

http://www.mygretutor.com
http://www.number2.com
http://www.maxmytest.com/

These are three good ones (in order of "goodness") :); mygretutor has actual GRE computer adaptive tests, so I think that's legit! But I agree, it's lame that the GRE prep materials require windows -- I wonder if Microsoft paid them off! LOL

The biggest problem is that all the tests are written to be run on a windows platform.

For us Linux users, its a pain to actually log into Windows just for the sake of doing tests

mmanoj
11-10-2007, 06:49 AM
This is my first day at TestMagic (my first post as well) and I've got two words ... interesting and inspiring. Good job sir

yusiye
12-03-2007, 04:35 AM
This is my first visit here as well.
Which book should I get to start? I'm a little overwhelmed with all the book choice. I'm really looking for a place to start.
Please help.

activel
12-06-2007, 09:29 PM
check out Graduate Test Prep (http://www.graduatetestprep.com)
it has some great vocab exercises and a realistic adaptive GRE tests

manish_manish
02-20-2008, 08:47 PM
nice thread :)

newclearbomb
03-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Very information and a nice writeup.

PurpleAnn
03-22-2008, 06:14 AM
helpful post.Thanks Ali:)

cheesenchocolate
06-11-2008, 04:52 AM
Gr8 Post. thanks

kriznaz
06-23-2008, 03:59 PM
thanks...that s enlightening..

kriznaz
06-23-2008, 04:01 PM
thats truly enlightening...thanks

Bayern
06-24-2008, 04:15 AM
Most probably flounder is not around in this forum anymore, but even after 4 years this thread is so much useful. Many thanks to you flounder. Hopefully you are excelling in your endeavour in life. :)

erusty
06-25-2008, 03:52 PM
thanks for the helpful howto, I'm starting to study for my gre, as well, do you think it's useful to listen to those audio word lists ??

sundevil87
07-30-2008, 04:40 PM
What do you think about The Princeton Review Word Smart for the GRE vocab book? What are the possibility that these words will actually show up on the GRE?

cooldude41
08-05-2008, 11:23 AM
How to improve your GRE Score

++ There are lots of free online GRE practice Tests available. Take one of the test without any distractions and see how you score in Verbal and Quantitative.

++ For the questions you have answered wrong, make sure you find out why you selected the wrong answer and find how to solve it right. If you happen to learn a new formula or words, make a note of it. you could use a separate notebook, one for Verbal and one for Maths.

++ Also, spend at least 1 hour per day for GRE Vocabulary from Barronís GRE book. It has 50 Word Lists. Try to remember atleast 1 word list per week. So, every week you can read 50 to 100 new words.

++ Week 1 read the first word list, Week 2 revise the first word list and then start learning the Second Word List. So, that you will not forget the words.

++ Best way to remember new words is to form a sentence for each word. ( Other technique I used is Flash Cards )

++ Next, take an GRE Practice Test again and see how much you score, and for mistakes you make, again evaluate what went wrong. In this way, you will learn new maths formulas and at same time your score will increase month by month.

++ No need to worry that you are scoring less in GRE tests now, every student initially has the same problem. Spending atleast 1-2 hours per day for first 3 months from now will get you going. In 4-5 months time you will see huge difference in the score.

++ So, the key to improve your GRE Scores and skills is to practice daily and if you select a wrong answer in your practice test, make sure you find the right answer and how to find the right answer.

++ Majority of the students make the mistake of not finding out the right answers for the questions they go it wrong in GRE Practice test. This is the most proven way to improve your scores in GRE. In your GRE exams (practice) and lets say you score 1000 and 2 months later in your GRE Practice test if you score around 1000 again, then I can say, 2 months of time spent studying GRE is of no use, unless the score improves.

++ If your score dosenít improve, try following different approach for preparation. I will write about other ways to study for GRE.

Did your Score Improve?
Having tried above steps your scores will have to improve, but if thats not happening, then you are not really trying hard to improve your score.

GRE Score Curve

When preparing for GRE exam assume you have 2 months to exam. Taking exam during first 2 weeks will give you score based on your initial knowledge you have about math, verbal.

As you start learning lots of techniques and strategies, you will see your scores drop. That's normal.

then again in 2-3 weeks time your score will start increasing in practice test.

Thats reverse of bell curve :)

divya.yadav
08-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Hi

I am planning for GRE in 2nd week of October, Is this very late for the Fall 2009.

qgh
09-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Thank you.
I really like reading english on-line daily. I often read Nationalgeographic, Nature, Scientific American. But I don't read Washington Post, New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Economist. So I will read them. Your suggestion "It means scrutize it. What does it say? Whats the main topic and theme? Whats the actual scope, and what does the author hope to accomplish through this writing? Note the author's tone. It is sarcastic, approving, neutral, disparaging or skeptic etc. " will be helpful to me.

indsha008
09-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the tips.

ironeye
09-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Great post Ali..!! thanx so much!!

I was wondering if u can provide some insight into the follwoing plz... would u recommend memorising a whole list of words - say Kaplan's 500 word box, or the High Freq Words - BEFORE starting with the GRE practice tests?? i mean u can only answer so few correctly without really craming large sums of vocab words, no?? :hmm:

Thanx..

Manah
10-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Many thanks Ali. Every bit of this info is very useful.

neikel
10-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Thank you, Ali
This article boost me so much.

knightpraetor
10-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Ok first of all, if you have the time available, I would suggest a 3-4 months prep time. Why? Well, since many of us come from Eng

Q How to prepare? Why just follow the posts on TestMagic of course.
Q Where to prepare from? I'd recommend in order of preference (difficulty from challenging to a bore): Power Prep, Big Book, Barrons, Kaplan and maybe Princeton Review
Q What to prepare? How much time needed to prepare? Read on :))

Vobabulary Building?

Ok, well and good. How to go about the vocabulary building? Well many people have suggested many different techniques, and at the end of the day, the one that will win is the one that suits you. I prefer the flash cards, and making them myself. They don't have to be cards, just get plenty of A4 size pages and and a paper cutter and start cutting cards of the apposite size. Make plenty of them. You can never have enough. And even after your GRE, you can still look at them to jolt your vocabulary. Maybe your kid brother and sister might use the same for their SATs or GREs or GMATs :) or if they are in good shape and you have no intention to humor the words further, you can sell them for some quick bucks he he he. I am sure many people would be interested hehe.

Another excellent source of words is the Big Book. It has some 27 actual administered paper GRE tests (2q and 2v sections each). Start giving the tests asap, and while you are at it, learn the new words from these tests. Remember these are the real tests, so you should know these words. By the end of the 27 tests, your vocabulary will be richer by another 500 or so words, not found in the previous lists.

Side by side, I'd suggest the use of some vocabulary building software like Guru's GRE (freeware available and can searched for on google.com). Its a nice easy way to learn new words. By now you would have learnt many words. So I'd suggest that you take all the 51 tests in Guru's GRE. You would know around 50-60 percent of the words. Don't guess on the words you don't know. The good thing is that the software remembers the words you didn't attempt. You can then continue to learn those ones.

Number2.0 has a good vocabulary building online engine. I'd recommend it wholly. Ok, now you can come back to the world of Barrons. I am assuming you still have some weeks left before the test. Go through the more common letters first like O, E, I, D, P, R, S, T, A, you etc. you and D help a lot with a lot of antonyms as in usage like dis- and un- which reverse the word. So you would be learning two words with each word.

Verbal Section:

Ok, apart from the vocabulary building, the

Thats it. That ladies and gentlemen, is the whole truth behind the GRE. Timing and pacing yourself, keeping a cool head, a good vocabulary and practice. You can signifantly improve your scores from those first dismal power prep scores, even by as much as 400 to 500 points. But practice and consistency would be the key.

Get the big book. It costs a lot, but its every penny worth it. No other book even comes close to the amount of practice that big book can offer you. Give the verbal tests. The timing is stringent as compared to the current GRE and that helps you to develop a good pace for attempting questions. The reading comprehension is difficult as hell, which is a good thing coz in the actual GRE the same is the case. And its a good vocabulary building exercise too.
Regards,
Ali

I think my favorite part was your mention of engineering students. I was a physics major and I just got owned by the GRE after studying for a month or so to improve my score. I basically learned all the Barron's words and increased my vocabulary by about 400 words (you're probably thinking that I didn't study much, and you would be correct..though i crammed hardcore the last 2-3 days...and most of it has stuck..i didn't have many words to learn anyways).

However, I ended up with the same score as before almost.. earlier i had a 780 math/630 or something verbal..well the verbal study must have helped a little because on the entire GRE there was only one word taht I did not recognize at all. However, i still got a 750 on verbal, meaning that i missed a lot. I don't think i've ever missed a sentence completion, but i have weaknesses on critical reading (due to sometimes inferring things from outside the passage instead of from the passage as it states....or by poor understanding in choosing between two similar answers) and i also sometimes have weak understandings of closely related words...that's what i spent most of my time trying to improve while studying the small list of barron's words.

i'm looking for a better list with harder words now...although, it is mostly for completion's sake..i love english, and want to know as many useful synonyms for adjectives and adverbs..or even various epithets with which to refer to things (i thought of the word soubriquet..can't seem to remember whether that has any difference in meaning..will look it up later)...

the math section, which i had originally thought was pathetically easy for a physics major..owned me..i just worked way too slow...just a few months of no math slowed my skills down immensely...what i get for underestimating the test...but can you blame me? when you study quantum theory and end up doing complex difeq, vector calc, and matrix algebra...you aren't likely to take a test involving mere geometry and a few functions seriously...but I've learned my lesson...even if knowledge of how to solve something is in your head..if you haven't used it in ages, you will be too slow.

I was thinking about how you said the GRE doesn't have anything to do with intelligence..and i've always told people that as well..yet at the same time..i can't understand it when i face people who spend literally 100x more time studying for the GRE and still get owned by it really hard. However, perhaps they really are just that far behind in vocabulary and basic math skills.

Anyways, the people here really make me feel like working hard..when i think about my attempts to learn a 2nd language...i shudder to think of taking a test in that language. I know 2 years worth of japanese...but I don't have that much interest in learning the language due to the difficulty of kanji..if they converted over to a pure hiragana/katakana system..then i would willingly devote my time to that language since the grammar isn't too hard..and i love anime...but as it is..i find it unlikely that i will go to japan in the near future because I would rather learn korean. It's always painful to be surrounded by korean people in america...and no, there are no people fluent in korean who speak in just english..they will speak in korean when spoken to in korean..that's just reflex..and no, it is not enough to just hear part of the conversation..

anyways, i have promised myself not to worry about learning korean until i make my way into a good grad school or find a job. Unfortunately a physics degree is pretty useless for someone who doesn't want to be stuck in a lab..very few engineering jobs seem to take physicists..thus i need to get into an engineering program or something. I have a dual major in finance, so i am also looking for jobs involving that..such as consulting or financial analyst jobs, but most business jobs involve accounting it seems. Does anyone know other job position titles that would relate to finance? I would love to have some more places to apply to.

wow, i rambled on in a rather desultory manner..i meant to ask whether you think I should go through the big book or the guru program would be more difficult? also, i can't seem to find that other program called number 2.0

Palomino
12-31-2008, 02:06 PM
Very useful thread.
Thank you.

cambridgedove
01-27-2009, 11:06 PM
As you are well aware, you'll be taking the GRE on a computer. This computer version is called the CAT, and here are some tips for killing the kitty:

The 10 first questions of each section are the most important ones. Why? Because as you know, the GRE adapts itself to your answers, so if you get the first question wrong, your next question will be easier. The test proceeds as such, pinpointing your score. But if you get the first ten questions wrong, you'll have to answer a whole bunch of questions correctly to dig yourself out of the hole. Did we just lose you? Then think of it this way: the tougher questions are worth more points, so you get a better score by answering the hard questions correctly. But the only way to get to the hard questions is to get the first few questions right. Yes, it's a bit confusing, but all that matters is that you should devote about half of your time to the first 10 questions.
There is no penalty for guessing. That's right. None. Not even an Indian burn or a pile driver. So NEVER leave a question blank. Flip a coin, spin a bottle, ask a Ouija board, pray for divine intervention, but you must guess. Besides, you can't skip questions either, so you might as well take a guess. Below, we'll give you some tips for effective guessing on each section.Verbal tricks
The verbal section is one of the toughest sections to handle, because it's so based on whether you know the definitions of words or not. But there are little tricks that can help you out.

First and foremost, PRACTICE these questions over and over. You can get your hands on practice GREs at bookstores, so buy the book and PRACTICE. Sometimes the same words (or variants of them) pop up on multiple tests.
Study vocabulary words that commonly appear on the GRE. Many preparation booklets have lists of these words, but you can also buy GRE study cards here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1881374807/qid=958146744/sr=1-3/103-9111774-6726246) and here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1890982024/qid=958516649/002-2894569-8060200).
For the ANALOGIES:

The most important thing to do with analogy questions is to turn the relationship between the two words into a sentence. Write that sentence down on your scratch paper so you don't forget it.

Some of the most common relationships to look for are: part to whole, cause to effect, person to occupation, word to definition, and synonyms.

For the ANTONYMS:

Antonyms can be tough because you have no context to work from; either you know the word or you don't. If you get a word you don't know, first try to pick the word apart. If part of the word looks familiar (for instance, it starts with "bio"), then use that information to try to guess at an answer ("bio" means "life," so the right answer will have something to do with "lack of life").

Second, try to get a sense of the mood of the word. Even if you don't know what the word means, you can often tell if it's "good" or "bad." So if you have a gut feeling that the word, whatever it means, is a "good" thing, then it's opposite should sound "bad."
For the SENTENCE COMPLETIONS:

Before you look at the possible answers, try to fill in the sentence with your own word. It'll make it easier to go through the answers.

Use the context of the sentence. If the sentence implies that you're looking for a "good" word, then your answer should be a "good" word. The context can tell you tons about the sentence. For instance, you should look for buzzwords like "nevertheless," "although," and "moreover," which can give you clues.

If the sentence has two blanks, then make sure that BOTH words fit nicely.
For the READING COMPREHENSION:

Read the passage as carefully as you can, no matter how boring it is. They make it boring on purpose, to get you off your rhythm.

Read ALL of the choices before you pick an answer.

The best way to prepare for the reading comprehension section is pure PRACTICE.Mathematics tricks
In order to ace the math section, you merely have to brush up on very specific math skills: algebra, fractions, percentages, geometry, and data analysis (reading graphs). We're not going to re-teach you algebra, so you gotta bone up on that stuff on your own. A study book would REALLY come in hand for re-familiarizing yourself with these concepts.

Use the process of elimination. Often times, you don't need to do any work when you can merely eliminate the wrong answers. For instance, what if you're presented with the question "What is 326 multiplied by 458?"

A) 149,303
B) 149,305
C) 149,308
D) 149,311
E) 149,313
You don't even need to bother doing the math. An even number multiplied by an even number ALWAYS has an even result. 326 and 458 are both even, and the only even choice is C) 149,308. So answer C and move on. Don't even bother doing the work.
Use your scratch paper. The drawings on the computer screen will be all out of proportion, and doing math these kinds of math problems in your head is impossible (unless you're Rain Man or Good Will Hunting). So make use of the scratch paper you're given, and feel free to recopy diagrams or charts.
Analytical tricksThe biggest problem people have with the analytical questions is not that they're hard, but that they take too much TIME. There's an easy way to fix that:

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. The only way to improve your speed on the analytical problems is to get used to the kinds of questions they ask.
When you read the rules to a logic problem, immediately write ALL of the rules down on your scratch paper BEFORE you try to answer any questions. Find the connections between the rules and map it all out, drawing pictures if necessary. It speeds things up enormously.
Abbreviate things. If they give you the names of colors, people, rivers, whatever, just use the first letter.
Never assume anything unless you're explicitly told it's so. The analytical section is basically testing if you jump to unfounded assumptions or not. Prove that you're a "not" and follow exactly what the rules tell you to do.

Arun_narayan
02-23-2009, 06:01 AM
I'm planning to take GRE on this september ... Is it advisable .. Will I be able prepare for it full fledgedly ??

GRE Lover
02-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Arun,

Give yourself enough time to assess yourself before deciding on booking a slot.

I am sure the comments in this thread will help you a great deal in the run up to your exam.

Good Luck!

--
GRE Lover

Rania99
03-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Fantastic Posts!!! you guys are all great help. Forums are awesome when it comes to test preperation. I've had a previous experience to another test/Forum and yes I GIVE a lot of credit for the posters. I am extremely new to the GRE. I am planning to apply for Masters of Architecture Fall of 2010 (Application Due January 2010 including GRE Results) which leaves me 9 months to research, study, practice practice and practice!!!!! 4 out of the 5 programs in the southern california area require GRE! My first question is: Is there a passing number/score on GRE? Does each university ask for it's own standardized score?
Thanks, Rania Thanks Much Ali.

akshaya
03-26-2009, 05:57 PM
hi.. I am giving my GRE in a month..I got a score of 510(v) and 590(q)in the last practice test that i took..I am very confused as to how to prepare...I found a lot of tips in your blog..but with one month left..how do I go about it? I am working on my essays and Reading comprehension...I have done the hit parade and beyond in princeton and now plan to start barrons high frequency...I need to improve my quant badly and work on verbal a bit..any advise will be a help!!

nickleefly
04-26-2009, 12:09 AM
wow, amazing post, realy good

straightdrive
03-27-2010, 08:00 PM
thanks

HIMADRIC
04-24-2010, 08:52 PM
hi Ali,

It is a very useful post.I have just started my prep for GRE.I need some suggestion.I already have kaplan,ets,barrons 16th edition.
I have heard about Barrons 12 th edtn is much better...is it true?What do you suggest?Are these books sufficient or something more is neded?
please help

hellraiser
09-23-2010, 02:43 PM
How about making stories... check this out... if you like this story or want more stories reply back on guptavix[at]gmail.com

Here she comes. She looked as pretty as ever, the dapper young Aarti flaunting her dappled dťcolletť dress passed Harsh. She was holding a dainty cup which she has just bought. Alas she fell down. Her clothes were daubed with mud. There was a delirium of what she should do. Harsh got a chance to dally and offered help. He debunked her theories that she was careless and thatís why she fall, rather blamed the excessive declivity of the slope. He offered help. She had first demur the idea of going to his home which was nearby but agreed as she came over her mental delirium. He defrayed her cupís ( J I donít know why ) Bill and started walking with her down the street. It was a rather romantic autumn weather. Leaves from the trees have defoliated. With his deft fingers he rubbed off the little mud she got near her lips.
Harsh was maintaining a perfect demeanor towards her. Aarti was demure in the way. Becoming a perfect source of demotic entertainment, she was turning demoniac and demented. She deign with horror. She has deified the Harsh room to some temple as this would only save her from the denigration. She deplored over her behavior as she has earlier objected to come with Harsh. She descries herself in the fall mirror. She despised the paint that has smeared his dress and due to which her hairs have turned red. Face was luckily not daubed. Even the paint could not dare to desecrate the sanctity of her beauty. She wondered what else could have happened due to the derelicts like the one in Bar. She tried to forget all this and looked through the dormer to find a diorama of natural beauty.
She could see the dinghy coming through the river.
By dint of luck Harsh had got a chance. To her dismay, he started a diatribe. He started giving off a didactic lecture on how anyone needs to be attentive. He dilated the whole subject to a meaningless long time in his din noise. Her head drooped. She was feeling so weak as if already a dote with dotage. Harsh asked her to be comfortable. She laid with the dorsal back on the couch. She looked drabbed and dowdy. She felt downcasted Harsh put on the dulcet songs of enigma.
He dissuaded her from making any noises and divest herself of clothes and have his shirt for the time he get the clothes washed. She became disconsolate, discombobulated and discomfit. She first dissented but distraught by her looks she agreed to doff her clothes. Dispirited she moved to the privy to take bath and change clothes. She behaved like dolt and doused in the bath tub. She dowsed herself with water. Mud dripped off as dross material. She could see the dregs of mud lying near the bottom of the tub. A draught of air from the window gushed and she shivered. When she had done the drudgery of cleaning herself up she donned the shirt given by Harsh. She behaved no more like dolt.

A doggerel theme of enigma was running through her mind. With only shirt on her, her lower half had been divulged. Harsh was waiting outside in doldrums. He became distrait as she came in. The droll Harsh dissimulated to be relaxed. He started a formal discourse and droned to lighten the situation. Harsh blurted out that he has been demented, the day he had seen her. She felt as if suffering from dyspepsia and dysentery. She now wondered all the feelings that were coming to her were not one-sided. . Their disparate thinking were now no more dissident. She came close and osculated him intensely.

---------------------------X-----------------------------------X-----------------------------------

medc
10-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Hi,

Since the original post from Ali dates back to 2003, I was wondering if all his great advice is still valid for someone who plans to take the test in 2011?

In summary, these are his recommendations:

Vocab
----------------------------
Barrons High Frequency
Barrons 3500
Princeton Review list
Arco list
Kaplan's List
Big Book

Vocabulary building software
Guru's GRE

Verbal Section
PowerPrep
Big Book
Kaplan
Barrons
Princeton Review

Quant
Barrons Math review
Kaplan Math
Power Prep
Big Book
TestMagic Forum

what do you think? all is still good? any additions? any changes?

KnightInArmour
11-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Hi,

Since the original post from Ali dates back to 2003, I was wondering if all his great advice is still valid for someone who plans to take the test in 2011?

In summary, these are his recommendations:

Vocab
Barrons High Frequency
Barrons 3500
Princeton Review list
Arco list
Kaplan's List
Big Book

Vocabulary building software
Guru's GRE

Verbal Section
PowerPrep
Big Book
Kaplan
Barrons
Princeton Review

Quant
Barrons Math review
Kaplan Math
Power Prep
Big Book
TestMagic Forum

what do you think? all is still good? any additions? any changes?

I am thinking the same, particularly because the Quant Section is said to be much tougher these days. Would love an update on this how to. By CS Standards, 2003 is already ancient...

Tommy Wallach
03-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Hey Himadric et. al.,

Focus on a smaller number of books, and learning them really well. I generally recommend you stick to ONE company's books if you can help it, outside of vocabulary building. Otherwise, you're going to confuse yourself, and overwhelm. I'd certainly like to pitch our books, which are a comprehensive 8-book set, but there are lots of other great resources out there. Don't overwhelm yourself with material however. The idea of having 5 books on GRE quant is insane (again, I view OUR books as really just ONE book, but we break it up into categories). The test is going to change soon, however, and then everything here will need to be updated.

Also, Hellraiser, I love the idea of telling stories to remember words. It may look crazy, folks, but it really does work. (Be careful though, a lot of words were misused in there. You might have shoved in a few more than you needed!)

Hope that helps!

-t

concave
05-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks a lot for your awesome write-up. Where can I find the Big Book? It seems it's out of print and I can't find it on Amazon. Any idea?

manish109
06-09-2011, 08:22 AM
well i m doing my engg n now am in 2nd year....so how should i start my gre preparation????

leisuresoul
07-25-2011, 07:38 PM
@manish You should bring a book (barrons/princeton/kaplan) and start with dignostic test. As you are a engineering student, maths will be a cake walk for you. So start by understanding the verbal patter and then derive a strategy. For maths, take out 15 days of your life and revise the whole maths (it will take much less than 15 btw) and then after those 15 days, just keep on practicing problems. Maths is easy. Verbal is a issue to look out for. And start as soon as possible so that you don't get short of time and give it when you feel that ur powerprep score is coming according to your expectation. Don't wait for 4th year to come !!

holymanbinny
12-09-2011, 07:01 PM
i want to ask that how to brainstorm for essay i read newspaper daily but i get short of examples in some essay , not scientfic ones or which are related to beauty but ohers.......
plz help me

Gaurav Singh
01-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Hi Ali,
I would need a little suggestion of yours in the scenario that I am into. I am currently working for Tata Technologies in Lucknow, India and taking GRE in March, 2012. Further looking forward to join schools in US (Selected 5 schools in Texas) in January, 2013 (i.e. Springs).

As per my preparations i may score (Considering old score scale) 1200+ in the exam.
I have a rich experience of working in SAP and project management for more than two years. And that the field I am looking to do my masters in (i.e. IT/Project Management in computer science).

What would be my chances of getting admitted to school and get financial aid.
Please suggest.

Best Regards
Gaurav

nitirajput
01-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Hi All

I am a MBA (Finance), with commerce background, based out of India and currently working with a MNC. I am planning to give GRE in April end 2012 to apply for Msc Economics in US an UK univ. I am weak in verbal (mainly vocab and RC's) and quant and would like to understand which study material to refer to-:
a) ETS Official Guide - already started studying from this
b) Princeton GRE and supplement - which sections are good in this book?
c) Kaplan/Barron - which one to buy, that would help me to revise both verbal and quant?
d) any book suggested for AWA?

I need to score at least 90% in both quant and verbal (though verbal is not very important). Are 3 months sufficient to prepare? I would only be able to give 1-2 hours on weekdays, and 3-4 hrs on weekends to study. could you share any strategy, that helped you crack the required score (any tips etc..). Also, would be good to know if anyone has an idea which univ are good for msc economics in US/UK that provide funding easily. Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

elql3h
11-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Wonderful Post ...