PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice about transfer



Sammy6
07-24-2007, 10:20 PM
I have gotten myself into a pretty unique situation, and I was wondering what you all thought of what I should do.

In late February, I had a meeting with my advisor, who told me I could graduate early with my BA/MA (I was in a 4.5 yr program, finished in 3). Wanting to go on to grad school, I had figured I would wait to beef up my math classes, etc. But, I decided to apply (they slipped my application in around March 3), and I got in (with money!) My current/future school is top 30, but not top 20. Is it worth it to try to transfer to a top 10 school? I have a couple of advisors who seem really interested in my success, and I am confident I can do well where I am now...

My basic stats:

GPA: 4.00/4.00
Major: Economics and Math
Master's: Economics
GRE: 800Q, 650V, 5AW
Research: RA to two well published full professors
Letters of Rec: expect they will be quite good. Most likely 3 from well published, "connected" professors in econ, one from junior faculty, one from mathematical finance
SOP: I'm a decent writer...

Cool Stuff: Graduated with BA/MA at age 20.

notacolour
07-25-2007, 12:08 AM
Honestly, it sounds like you're in a really good situation there. I know everyone here tries to go to the best-ranked program possible and all, but if there are professors there who are doing work that interests you, and you have good rapport with them and funding and all...you can't find a much better situation than that.

apropos
07-25-2007, 05:23 AM
Your profile looks good straight from undergraduate institution and you haven't even attempted to get into higher ranked programs. Unless you already know that you will have access to good advisers in your research area, I don't see why you shouldn't try your luck at other, bigger departments. Losing a year shouldn't be a factor, since you're pretty young anyways. Note that if you mention that you're already enrolled in a PhD program, the other schools might want to see your fall transcript, so make sure to get good grades.

SquareSquare
07-25-2007, 05:57 AM
Contrary to above comments, I would suggest you consider accepting the offer. While waiting and re-applying has obvious advantages of getting in a better place which will in turn lead to a better expected placement, there are several advantages of just going on:

- they gave you money => they want you
- the younger you are, the easier it will be in courses and exams

I know of someone who had a similar decision to make, although his profile was not as good as yours. He decided to wait for a year and reapply, in the end he got into a better school, but he's not exactly happy about the two years that he spent away from school (one year working and then applications, with another 8 months working and waiting).

Of course, if you're planning to study in the meanwhile (and possibly RA) then deferring is more attractive.