PDA

View Full Version : Can these Micro and Econometrics books remedy my lack of Mathematics for the adcoms?

zulkfal
07-30-2007, 03:49 PM
(Long List please help) I have no special mathematics courses in my BSc and none in MSc as a lot of forum user now UK degrees in economics have no mathematics (Can’t afford LSE MSc Econometrics and Mathematics £16700 P/A). Hopefully in sep-2007 I will start my MSc Econometrics and Finance at QMUL they recommended me following books. Will these books help me to show adcom I can handle Mathematics needed for PhD?
Microeconomics A
1) Jehle G. A and Reny P. J., Advanced Microeconomic Theory, Addison-Wesley, 1997
2) Kreps, D. A Course in Microeconomic Theory, Harvester Wheatsheaf, 1990
3) Mas-Colell A., Whinston M. and Green J., Microeconomic Theory,Oxford University Press 1996
4) Varian H. Microeconomicy Analysis, W.W. Norton, third edition
Microeconomics B

Basic reading:
* Kreps, D. (1990a). A Course in Microeconomic Theory. New York: Harvester Wheatsheaf.
* Mas-Colell, A., Whinston, M.D., & Green, J.R. (1995). Microeconomic Theory. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Recommended reading:
* Kreps, D.M. (1990b). Game Theory and Economic Modelling. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
* Osborne, M.J., & Rubinstein, A. (1994). A Course in Game Theory.Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
* Fudenberg, D., & Tirole, J. (1991). Game Theory. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
* Macho-Stadler, I., & Pérez-Castrillo, D. (1997). An Introduction to the
*Economics of Information. Incentives and Contracts. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
*Molho, I. (1997). The Economics of Information. Oxford: Blackwell. Game theory introductions:
*Osborne, M.J. (1999). An Introduction to Game Theory. to be published by Oxford University Press in 2001.
*Binmore, K.G. (1992). Fun and Games. A Text on Game Theory. Lexington, MA: Heath.
*Gibbons, R. (1992). A Primer in Game Theory. New York: Harvester Wheatsheaf.
*Hargreaves Heap, S.P., & Varoufakis, Y. (1995). Game Theory. A Critical Introduction. London: Routledge.
*Rasmusen, E. (1989). Games and Information. An Introduction to Game Theory. Oxford: Blackwell.
*Varian, H.R. (1992). Microeconomic Analysis (3rd ed.). New York: Norton.
Strongly recommended Tube reading material:
*Dixit, A.K., & Nalebuff, B.J. (1991). Thinking Strategically. The
*Competitive Edge in Business, Politics, and Everyday Life. New York: Norton.
*Schelling, T.C. (1978). Micromotives and Macrobehavior. New York: Norton.
Econometrics A

Textbook: W. H. Green, Econometric Analysis, Prentice Hall, Fourth Edition
Econometrics B

Greene, W., Econometric Analysis, Prentice Hall.
Hamilton, J.D., Time Series Analysis, Princeton University Press
Terasvirta, T., Forecasting with Nonlinear Models, in Handbook of Economic Forecasting, Elsevier
Macroeconomics A & B

Advanced Macroeconomics, 2nd ed., by David Romer (McGraw-Hill, 2001).,

asquare
07-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Not sure what you mean by asking if the books will help you get admitted to PhD programs. Some of the books on the list are standard PhD level texts (MWG, Greene, and to a lesser extent Romer, for example). But it depends on what you do with those books. If they are the basis of the course, and you can say so in your PhD applications or better yet the people who write your LORs say so, then yes, it will help you. But if they are just on lists of possible text books, then no.