PDA

View Full Version : Community College Transcripts

cpsteiner
07-31-2007, 06:47 AM
Hello forum;

I'm beginning to get in gear for applications this fall. I had a question on Community College transcripts. I was doing a math REU over the summer and the advisor recommended me NOT to send my former community college transcripts to schools, because they may become scared to admit me. I had only taken a few classes at random community colleges over the SUMMER to graduate in a decent amount of time and to get done with general education requirements (Plant Biology, for instance) and the only two classes that would be relevant to the adcoms from the community colleges would be Introductory Macro and my computer class. But most applications request transcripts from ALL colleges attended. On the other hand, my 4-yr institution (which is a top-30 program in econ) includes the community college information on the transcript. Should I just contact the schools about this, or does anyone have any insight? I almost thought that the Math REU advisor's advice was somewhat flawed, and perhaps I should just call the Graduate Schools to see what they say, but if anyone has taken community college classes let me know what they did.

And on another note, if someone attended community college and did amazing when they transfered to a 4-yr institution, wouldn't that look good and not bad as what my adviser was saying????

~cpsteiner

snappythecrab
07-31-2007, 07:04 AM
I spent a few years doing the CC/JC stint (I have an associates degree...whoohooo!), before finishing up at a four year institution. Pretty much the scenario that you're describing. I don't think it did me any harm. Though I may be wrong, I believe Antichron (who's at MIT) did some time at a CC as well.

Departments request all transcripts as you've noted, and if they find that you've left one out, I suspect that they'll just junk your application, because who knows what all you're hiding. On top of that, your transcript from your four year should reflect that you transfered credits from somewhere. Its not something you're really going to be able to hide anyway. ...pay no attention to this person. :rolleyes: Why should they care if you took plant bio at a CC? They've got bigger fish to fry.

mtjsvc
07-31-2007, 03:00 PM
I also took a few summer courses at community college, and sending the transcripts from these schools did not prevent me from getting funding offers from 6 top 40 schools. It won't hurt your chances if you do send them, but Snappythecrab is right, if you don't send them they might just throw your application out for not following directions. The courses show up as a T on your college transcript, and you must account for that.

TruDog
07-31-2007, 06:57 PM
I only had one school (out of eleven that I applied to) request my community college transcript for dual credit courses in high school. Then again, my courses had grades listed instead of just a T.

kartelite
08-01-2007, 12:10 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Antichron went to like 4 different CC's and ended up getting fully funded at every top 10 school (Stanford, MIT, Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Chicago, etc...). I'm not sure why taking CC classes is bad, as long as you did well in them.