PDA

View Full Version : How 'big' are your undergrade math classes?

Maxell
08-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Hi,

I am a german student in a german Diploma program (appr. equivalent to a Master, but without a degree before). Lots of people on this forum have taken easily six or more math classes during their undergrade studies. That sounds like a heavy load for me, but I wonder how an american class compares to a german class in terms of lecture time and work load.

I ask you to take a look at the math classes I have taken and estimate how much of the math you have taken is covered.

- Mathematics for Economists I (4h lecture, 2h tutorial a week): Calculus, Analysis
- Mathematics for Economists II (4h lecture, 2h tutorial a week): Matrix Algebra, Differential Equations
- Statistics I (2h lecture, 2h tutorial a week): Descriptive Statistics
- Statistics II (4h lecture, 2h tutorial a week): Inferential Statistics and Probability

All classes ran over 13 weeks. Of course the time spent in lectures/tutorials is only the smallest part of the workload.

Thanks for your help
Maxell

kartelite
08-04-2007, 03:44 PM
The classes you describe probably cover more than any I took as an undergrad. Normally 3 semesters (of 12-15 weeks) are consecrated to calculus and another 2 to real analysis...covering all 5 in one term necessitates a higher workload I would think. What you have seems to be a very adequate preparation.

Palimpsest
08-04-2007, 04:51 PM
It is certainly the case that Calc and Analysis are usually at least two terms apiece. However, with a title like Mathematics for Economists, I have to wonder if they will focus on the most econ-relevant aspects of each topic a la math camp or a first term econ PhD math crash course. Whatever the case, it seems like you will be adequately prepared for grad econ, assuming the calculus portion of your sequence covered multivariate.

asianeconomist
08-05-2007, 03:44 PM
I wondered whether you covered dynamic optimization or not ?