PDA

View Full Version : non econ background

wanderingMind
08-04-2007, 06:26 PM
hello,

I come from an accounting background. I have an equivalent of a Master degree in Accounting from my country. I spent 2 years doing what we call ( for those familiar with the french system) "prepa" where we studied matheamtics and other subjects needed for a degree in business. after looking at the syllabus here in the US i can say that I did calc I,II and III, also differential equation, linear algebra and an intro to analysis.

one important point I think is that I am 28. I have worked a couple of time in auditing and consulting. but I have always enjoyed economics. Now I am in the US, I planned on doing a phd in econ ( especially fin econ, and intrn econ)

I would like you to what is the best way for me to get in the best school i can. I was thinking doing a master in econ first, taking the same classes in maths (to help me refresh and also show the adcom my abilities in math).

Or apply directly for the phd program, knowing that i come from an accounting background, I am not young anymore and my grades in maths translated in the gpa system here would seem bads ( the grading system was differeent 15 out of 20 was an excellent grade other there.)

thank you and sorry for the lenght of my post.:blush:

buckykatt
08-04-2007, 10:51 PM
28 is actually near the median age for those starting a Ph.D. in economics. You shouldn't worry about being "too old".

You might want to post your original grades in those math courses. Someone else here can probably advise you about how they will translate.

asianeconomist
08-05-2007, 04:15 PM
I have a similar background but only (alas!) with less mathematical preparation. Seeing that you are interested in finance, have you considered the MFE/MFM (Masters of Financial Engineering) programs. There are a few good programs and you may use it as a stepping-stone to a Finance PhD.

Alternatively, you might consider a MSc in Economics. LSE, UPF, UBC, UfT, UCL being the usual suspects. I would discourage you towards a USA MEcon, as they do not tend to be rigorous enough.

However, given your mathematical background, I do not think that it would be bad idea for you to take a few economics classes at a (preferably) Top 50 university & then apply next year. That way you might be able to manage a few LORs and generate a strong signal to adcoms. Chicago allows you to take courses under the Graduate Student At Large scheme.

With regards to math classes, I believe that you can only take advanced analysis (topology, measure theory) or probability & stochastic processes. Honestly though, I think that you have adequate (not great) level of preparation.